The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weird album title for them. I'm more used to their rambling, vaguely philosophical titles. Those Who Shall Not Take Care Will Be Innocent, Those Who Shall Take Care Will Live Forever.

I couldn't be more excited for this album. Haven't listened to the snippets at all and will be keeping it that way until an album leaks in full. Most importantly, this means an EITS tour. So, yeah. Spring can't fucking come soon enough.

And, although The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place is universally known as their masterpiece, as I sit here listening to Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever, it strikes me that it might be my favorite of their albums. I've never been able to get over their use of dynamics, and this album exemplifies that with sharp moves from the quietest of guitar picks to the most metal of rawk (mainly thinking of the beginning of "Greet Death" here...hot damn, what an opening song). I love that usage of the clip from The Thin Red Line too. Plus, I mean, I do have a tattoo of the angel from the album's cover on my forearm. Anyway, it just seems to get at me harder than The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place usually does.

I like all 3 albums so much that it's not even worth me attempting to decide what order I prefer them in.

1blo00d, FYI, the clips are only 30 seconds or so, and are all from just really random segments of songs, so you can't even hear anything significant melody wise. They're almost completely pointless, but were fun to hear once.

I like all 3 albums so much that it's not even worth me attempting to decide what order I prefer them in.

1blo00d, FYI, the clips are only 30 seconds or so, and are all from just really random segments of songs, so you can't even hear anything significant melody wise. They're almost completely pointless, but were fun to hear once.

Good point. Each album is near perfect in its own right.

Yeah, I believe it. I'd just rather not hear anything. Haven't heard any of the R.E.M. snippets either. I prefer not listening to clips or singles of most artists prior to albums leaking or releasing, since they're presumably meant to be heard as one piece of work.

Finally listened (you can stream here if you're at work):

Pitchfork: Forkcast: Explosions In the Sky: "Trembling Hands"

The first half is definitely new sounding for them, which is cool. Second half is familiar, yet very satisfying as always. Can't wait for the album.

eits_1.jpg

So, Scums, you're not OK with a Random Music thread, but a Random Post-Rock thread is peachy? :wink: EITS is probably the most popular DI band, and yet...

I'd make a thread for them myself, but I'm not as hardcore as you guys.

Yeah, that packaging is pretty cool. Think I'll go ahead and preorder so I can get the colored wax too.

Damn, that's an early leak.

Indeed. Has it even been streaming yet?

I did not. I don't usually listen to leaks before their release dates.

Good. Not that I avoid leaks or anything, but I can't stand listening to something as detail-intensive as Explosions in 192. FLAC is preferred, but too space-consuming, especially on my iPod. It's just sounds sooooo clean in FLAC though. :up:

I don't know the differences between FLAC, Lossless, V0, or 320. I do know the difference between 320 and 192, though.

I think most of my music is in 320.

I listened to the EITS leak, and the album's pretty damn great. Not going to get into bitrate wank; I think we all know 128 and below is pretty bad, but 192 has rarely been problematic for me.

Also, the new Long Distance Calling is even better.

I realize it's been leaked for quite a while, but you can officially stream the new Explosions in the Sky album on their website now:

Explosions In the Sky

Comes out next week, so I may just wait, but it is very tempting. Regardless, looking forward to it!

I think my students at uni think I'm slightly crazy. I found out about the possible tour news just before walking in to one of my classes today and my mind just went blank ... it was the first thing I blurted out with a gigantic grin on my face.

I should point out here that I teach in genocide studies.

It's nothing life changing and doesn't measure up to their past work, but it's still a satisfying listen with some great moments.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm convinced that TEINACDP is their only essential album for the uninitiated, but if you want to follow them, their slight movement towards the light with this album is a rewarding one. I dig it.

One of my friends sent me a picture of the album packaging completely opened up, it looks crazy.

My copy arrived on my doorstep literally 3 minutes after I left for work, so no listening for me. :(

The opening track was the only thing that really moved me on first listen. Sorta weird to not immediately love an Explosions album, but I'm sure I'll give it many more listens.

Back
Top Bottom