The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Artist: Pelican
Album: What We All Come to Need
Release Date: October 27
Label: Southern Lord

Tracklist:

01 Glimmer
02 The Creeper
03 Ephemeral
04 Specs of Light
05 Strung Up From the Sky
06 An Inch Above Sand
07 What We All Come to Need
08 Final Breath

Notes: Fourth studio album from this Chicago instrumental metal band and first for Southern Lord. Features appearances from members of Isis, Sunn O))), Harkonen, and the Life & Times.

pelican.jpg

:)

Eluvium got played on this British TV show, Skins, that I'm watching at the moment. :up:

This is more post-metal and shoegaze than post-rock, but it's probably the closest thread in terms of relevance to post it.

Alcest has announced he's begun recording for a new album to be released early next year:

new album

I will enter the Markus Stock's Studio E for recording the second Alcest album from the 27th of July to mid August. The mix/mastering will be done by N. Xort in september at the Drudenhaus Studio.

This album will contain 6 tracks : 4 new ones and the 2 ones from "Le Secret" re-recorded. As for the total playing time, it will be around 55 min. The concept will change a bit from "Souvenirs...", since I am dealing with the usual Alcest subjects but this time using ocean's thematic as a metaphor. I have been inspired a lot by seaside romanticism these last times, it's strengh and mysteries and I wanted to use it as the main idea/imagery for the new album.
Musically expect something slightly different as well, more complex in the structures (two of the new songs are 10 minutes lenght), emotionally wider, with a lot of contrasts and dark blue soundscapes...
But obviously this is still 100% Alcest, with its typical ecstatic moments and deep nostalgia.

Also Winterhalter (Amesoeurs/Les Discrets/ex Peste Noire,..) will play drums on this recording.

The release date is planned for january 2010.

Very excited for this. Souvenirs d'un autre monde was my favorite album from 2007.

Isn't a new Califone record coming out, at some point? Are we still allowed to classify Califone as a post-rock band...? What is the meaning of life?

I don't like that much jazz with my post-rock, so I'm passing. I really love the KC Accidental EPs, but DMST never did much for me. I have tried, but it's just not gonna be for me. The new Spearin LP, on the other hand...

Anthems for the Could've Bin Pills was awesome, yeah. Figured DMST would be right up your alley, but I guess I figured wrong.

And yeah, Happiness Project is greatness. "Vanessa" is probably top five tunes of the year for me.

Anthems for the Could've Bin Pills was awesome, yeah. Figured DMST would be right up your alley, but I guess I figured wrong.

And yeah, Happiness Project is greatness. "Vanessa" is probably top five tunes of the year for me.

Have you ever heard the other one, Captured Anthems for an Empty Bathtub? BRILLIANT. And, yes, "Vanessa" is one of the most touching, powerful songs I've heard in a long, long, long time.

I listened to the first three songs from DMST's Other Truths, and they're fantastic. Needs more listens, but I'm loving it lots already.

That's it. I'm going down to San Diego. Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, and Young Widows all playing at the Casbah, which is about as big as half of my house. It's a school night during the week of Veteran's Day, and I don't care. I'm going.

phanan, dear, I can't see the pic. When does the album come out?

That's it. I'm going down to San Diego. Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, and Young Widows all playing at the Casbah, which is about as big as half of my house. It's a school night during the week of Veteran's Day, and I don't care. I'm going.

You have no idea how jealous I am.

God, I wish Russian Circles would come to Australia.

From Explosions in the Sky's Facebook update:

Other than the upcoming ATP Festival, we don't have any shows planned and we probably won't for quite some time. We're getting back to work on writing a new record. We wish we could announce some sort of tentative release date, but that's pretty much impossible at this point. We can say with some confidence that it's probably going to be awhile.

Sorta good and bad news I guess. At least they're finally doing something.

From Explosions in the Sky's Facebook update:

Other than the upcoming ATP Festival, we don't have any shows planned and we probably won't for quite some time. We're getting back to work on writing a new record. We wish we could announce some sort of tentative release date, but that's pretty much impossible at this point. We can say with some confidence that it's probably going to be awhile.

Sorta good and bad news I guess. At least they're finally doing something.

Wasn't that why they took a bunch of time off after the spring 2007 shows too?

Whatever, as long as they keep making better albums than Boner and crew, I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom