The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Call me crazy but I just don't see how anyone can call Mogwai mellow. If they are mellow what would you consider U2.....? Has anyone here been to a Mogwai show? Let's just say, a Mogwai show is never mellow enough to put you to sleep. Ear splitting guitar that will tie your nerves in knots and wake the dead. It is the bee's knees.

Even songs like Friend of the Night I would consider to not be very mellow. What are some specific songs that you guys think are too mellow?

Ear splitting guitar that will tie your nerves in knots and wake the dead. It is the bee's knees.

Haha. I had earplugs actually pushed all the way into my ears (usually never shove them in all the way at concerts), and still was wincing numerous times. I saw some people without headphones who looked like they were in complete agony.

I too agree there's a level of irony in labeling any artist as "too mellow", on a U2 fansite. Particularly the so-called, "loudest band on earth". To each their own.

Listening to an entire album by Mogwai is an awesome experience, loving the latest release, and on the whole I think post-rock can be appreciated more in context.

I sent Glasgow Mega-Snake and Batcat, as I thought they were good recent "concise" ways to show non-mellowness. I didn't want to shove a 19 min. version of Like Herod down her throat as the first example after all. :wink:

Speaking of which, here's a vid of the best section (it's normally 10+ mins) of what was my favorite Mogwai song for years, Christmas Steps. These guys are so boring with their mellow Christmas carols....

YouTube - Mogwai - Christmas Steps (live)

PS - I love how Stuart freaks out when the bass comes in, and they still used it as a video.

I sent Glasgow Mega-Snake and Batcat,

I listened to these at the gym this morning, interspersed with Young Widows.

I liked the songs one whole helluva lot. But what's with the piano slowness on the Jim Morrison song on Mogwai's myspace page? Does it get going later on? (I couldn't listen all the way because I had to go get dressed.)

I listened to these at the gym this morning, interspersed with Young Widows.

I liked the songs one whole helluva lot. But what's with the piano slowness on the Jim Morrison song on Mogwai's myspace page? Does it get going later on? (I couldn't listen all the way because I had to go get dressed.)

:up: Glad you enjoyed them. I just listened to the new album last week, and I loved Batcat as well. I don't remember how the Jim Morrison one goes though. Truth be told, I'm not much of a Mogwai fan, but I like the occasional song of theirs.

But what's with the piano slowness on the Jim Morrison song on Mogwai's myspace page? Does it get going later on? (I couldn't listen all the way because I had to go get dressed.)

It builds up until the end and leads into Batcat.

Truth be told, I'm not much of a Mogwai fan

372148000_5f95ce9f84.jpg

Truth be told, I'm not much of a Mogwai fan

:lmao:

I'm sorry to have been shocking you with all of my unpopular post-rock opinions lately...:wink:

maybe it's not that I don't like Mogwai, but I've never spent a good amount of time with them. I was more immediately interested by EITS when I first got into post-rock, and then never went back to get into Mogwai.

EITS makes beautiful music, but Mogwai is more cutting edge, and much harder. I like both for different reasons and moods.

Yeah, they don't exist anywhere. I purchased all mine online from them.

For some reason I continued thinking I'd luck out and find them in a store, I have not. You all still recommend 'All Is Violent, All Is Bright' as the first to check out? From the 30 second clip, I think I'm going to love 'Remembrance Day'.

Would it be a safe bet to get more than just one of their albums while I'm buying? Tell me your opinions, post-rock posters.

Their albums (or at least some of them) are available to stream on Last FM, aren't they?

From the 30 second clip, I think I'm going to love 'Remembrance Day'.

Sweet sassy molassy, I sure do.

I'll have to spend some more time checking out the albums on Last FM in the next few days to make a decision.

I don't have that one yet :reject: but I do love their other 3, still need to listen to the new one more though.

I think I need to launch a PR campaign to repair my image, I swear I'm not the reason for all this :(

But I like the pun :wink:

Now you lost me haha, I'm going to sleep, perhaps it'll make more sense in the morning... perhaps not. :hmm:

I know that, give me some credit :) I just meant if he was making a pun as he was earlier, I didn't grasp it.

Back
Top Bottom