The Post-Rock Thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #121
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
I've never even heard a single one of their songs...

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I demand a set list and COMPLETE details.
Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a setlist. I'm one of those lame casual fans who can't recall song titles . Seriously, I can barely identify the segments of performances I recorded (I partially blame it on how bass heavy they came out on my camera since the sound was turned up to 11 at the venue. Note to self - wear earplugs next time you're chillin' at the front row by 3 subwoofers)

But yeah, did they ever tear the house down.

I had no idea Munaf was such a beast live (I've never seen performance vids on YouTube and the like). We were standing in the front row directly in front of him and I was in awe the entire time. His energy was through the fucking roof - other guys too, Michael James, especially

The transitions between performances were seamless and nearly without breaks. It almost felt like they performed one epic song for the entire hour.

Amusing story, I had some fanboys who drove down from Austin (aka *~The Impy13s~* "WE'RE FROM AUSTIN!!! YEEEEEAH!") standing to my right who tried to get the crowd to stay after the house lights came on. I'd say about 80% of the crowd didn't leave and chanted "ONE MORE SONG!" at the direction of The Impy13s in protest of the set being an hour long with no encore.

I started filming a video with my camera when Munaf came back out on stage in preparation for a possible encore:

"One more song, one more song! [Unintelligible] This is EITS, this is all we got. Everything we have, every bit of energy, every bit of love in our hearts comes to you in that hour. So if we came back, [unintelligible]. Thank you, thank you for [unintelligible]"

. You can see what the transitions are like 25 seconds into the 2nd video on the playlist. Also, I will be eternally grateful if anyone can help me make out what's being performed!

If you're going to watch one go with
this one and watch Munaf go absolutely nuts at 1:30ish into the video.

Anyway, that was one hell of an amazing concert. I want to see them again and again and again. Going back and listening to their studio material almost feels a bit unsatisfying after experiencing their live show.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
OK I have to ask, what exactly is Post-Rock?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #124
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Next Thursday.
I lied. It's the 27th, not the 20th.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Bee
I had some fanboys who drove down from Austin (aka *~The Impy13s~* "WE'RE FROM AUSTIN!!! YEEEEEAH!")

Quote:
The Impy13s
Quote:
The Impy13s

Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #126
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:

If you're going to watch one go with this one and watch Munaf go absolutely nuts at 1:30ish into the video.

I do believe that is Greet Death.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
OK I have to ask, what exactly is Post-Rock?
That's a loaded question. I'm going to go with Simon Reynolds' definition: "Post-rock means using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and powerchords." It's usually instrumental as well.

Bands you should check out: Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, God is an Astronaut

<is seeing Explosions in the Sky in two weeks
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

That's a loaded question. I'm going to go with Simon Reynolds' definition: "Post-rock means using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and powerchords." It's usually instrumental as well.

Bands you should check out: Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, God is an Astronaut

<is seeing Explosions in the Sky in two weeks

Thanks!

It's good stuff
Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
So I should get the rest of their records, then?
which one you have?

well, their discography it's limitated, they just have 2 LPs and 1 split with Gregor Samsa

Gregor Samsa rocks

anyways...

Red Sparowes albums:

At the Soundless Dawn: fantastic, dark and epic

Every Red Heart...: not so great, still amazing

and the split contains 2 Red Sparowes songs, 1 never released before, plus... you can check Gregor Samsa

I swear, those guys are amazing, dreamy, cold, sad... you know...
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #130
Blue Meth Addict

I hate you guys, I'm listening to 'Alone And Unaware, The Landscape Was Transformed Before Our Eyes' on Last FM right now and now have to get that damn Red Sparowes album.

I read that the 65daysofstatic back albums were finally released in North America this week as well..... ....Not to mention Mogwai's EP+6 (highly recommended if you have all their albums) and Kicking A Dead Pig were re-released.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm looking foward those Mogwai releases

and yes, Red Sparowes is like the soundtrack of an epic final battle
Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #132
She's the One

I have Every Red Heart...

I just did a large Amazon/Tower order dammit. I guess Soundless Dawn will go on a list to get later. Unless it's for sale at the show next week.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

10 days till Explosions in the Sky!!

Annnnd, El Ten Eleven is planning a summer tour. Here's the dates so far, and they're supposed to be adding more to their Myspace:

Jun 4 2008 9:00P Luckey’s Cigar Store Eugene, Oregon
Jun 6 2008 9:00P Town Lounge Portland, Oregon
Jun 7 2008 10:00P Neurolux Boise, Idaho
Jun 8 2008 9:00P Urban Lounge Salt Lake City, Utah
Jun 9 2008 9:00P The High Dive Denver, Colorado
Jun 11 2008 9:00P Record Bar Kansas City, Missouri
Jun 12 2008 9:00P Turf Club St. Paul, Minnesota
Jun 14 2008 9:00P Founders Brewing Co. Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jun 15 2008 10:00P Schubas Chicago, Illinois
Jun 21 2008 10:00P Brillobox Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Jul 5 2008 10:00P Plush Tucson, Arizona

I'm planning on going to the St. Paul show as long as I don't have to work that night/can get off work.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #134
Blue Meth Addict

Finally got to see Explosions in the Sky for the first time last night! Such an amazing show, I don't even know where to begin. They said they hadn't been to Utah for 7 years (I didn't think they ever had been here), but they said the last time they were here they made $31 dollars at the end of the night. Last night they made far more than that, as the place was absolutely packed. There was a fairly interesting mix of people at the show, and the crowd overall was younger than I was expecting. On to the show, Explosions were as good, if not better, than I was expecting. Everything sounded wonderful, and they were definitely as loud as I've always heard they are live. This was the setlist I wrote down on my phone:

First Breath After Coma
Catastrophe and the Cure
Memorial
The Birth and Death of the Day
Your Hand in Mine
Greet Death
Welcome, Ghosts
The Only Moment We Were Alone

From a setlist stand point, I couldn't have asked for anything better. I went into the show saying "if they play either Your Hand in Mine or The Only Moment We Were Alone, I'll walk away completely satisfied", and to my luck, they actually played both! Your Hand In Mine has long been my favorite Explosions song (and apparently a lot of others, as the whole crowd cheered when the first riff started playing, which was awesome), and I really wasn't expecting it as I didn't want to get my hopes up. It sounded beautiful and really satisfied live. Probably the highlight of the night was The Only Moment We Were Alone (my second favorite Explosions song, which I also wasn't expecting and also resulted in a huge cheer from the audience when it started). It was a fantastic closer, and probably the most impressive performance visually and sound wise. I was surprised to only get one song from Those Who Tell The Truth, but was happy it was Greet Death as that was the first song of theirs I ever heard (and the opening rock out was amazing and extended live). The new songs from All Of a Sudden I Miss Everyone were all extremely impressive and great sounding live. Honestly, couldn't have asked for a better show. The band was really into it, and the crowd ate it up and gave a great deal of applause where it was deserved. These guys are the real deal.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

I'm even more excited than I was for Sunday night! I'd love to hear Greet Death and The Only Moment We Were Alone.

Tags
post-rock