The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
Very cool, oneblood. I think I would have jumped off the balcony if they would have opened with Your Hand In Mine as I would have been too excited. How'd it work as an opener? Pretty cool they played Remember Me As a Time of Day, I don't think they play the "How Strange" songs much, I like that one too. :up:

Martha, I listened to the Red Sparowes album again this weekend in honor of your concert goings.

It was definitely unexpected. I knew that they don't play Your Hand in Mine terribly often, so I wasn't getting my hopes up at all. Then, when they opened with it, I knew I was in for an amazing night. I think it works well as an opener; there are enough loud parts, and it's just beautiful.

Remember Me as a Time of Day was really awesome to hear too! I absolutely love "How Strange, Innocence," so to hear anything off that album was a real honor, especially since they don't play songs off of it often.

The show ended in a very raw moment when Munaf stopped The Only Moment We Were Alone by jumping on his guitar pedal...definitely an abrupt, but fitting conclusion to the show. I wish I had caught that on tape...

So, I have the videos uploaded to Youtube, the sound isn't great, but it's listenable. After all, they were taken with my digital camera. You may want to turn down the sound a bit before watching too. Oh, and apparently, my camera doesn't recognize when I want it to tape vertically, so instead, there are horizontal Munafs and Michaels in there.

Your Hand in Mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMePna_nns

The Birth and the Death of the Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0eRcyT86-s

Catastrophe and the Cure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVxNXoImZpQ

It's Natural to Be Afraid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2kq_IqVsU

Remember Me as a Time of Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z45Lfq43T4

The Only Moment We Were Alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUmBLJ1WJA

And, here's a public link to the pictures that I put up on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2100731&l=5cff1&id=45809822

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
I think Inventions for the New Season by Maserati is my favourite post-rock album that I've heard so far. It sounds kinda like if Bono learned to play guitar like Edge instead of singing in the mid 80's and they became a jam band. Fuckin' awesome.

I need to get more Explosions in the Sky, I only have two songs...but Catastrophe and the Cure is amazing :drool:

I downloaded like 13 post-rock albums :crazy:

I downloaded Inventions for the New Season, and I'm enjoying it so far. Do you like the heavier aspects of it? I'm trying to figure out what else to recommend to you...

I've got you covered in the Explosions in the Sky department. I uploaded their albums for unico, so I still have links. Let me know if you'd like them, and I can send you the links.

:rockon: You're officially a post-rocker! :wink:

phanan said:

I love that Yndi Halda album. Another great recommendation here.

Hell, I don't need to check out other sites. I just have to look in this thread. :wink:

Have you listened to The Evpatoria Report at all? They're really good too, using strings again. :drool:

onebloodonelife said:

Have you listened to The Evpatoria Report at all? They're really good too, using strings again. :drool:

"Cosmic call" is like the perfect song to watch the stars

Dreamend anyone?

from Chicago, with vocals (a lá Gregor Samsa), with more than 4 albums

well, those guys are releasing album this year after 3 or 4 years on hiatus

onebloodonelife said:

I downloaded Inventions for the New Season, and I'm enjoying it so far. Do you like the heavier aspects of it? I'm trying to figure out what else to recommend to you...

I've got you covered in the Explosions in the Sky department. I uploaded their albums for unico, so I still have links. Let me know if you'd like them, and I can send you the links.

:rockon: You're officially a post-rocker! :wink:

Yeah, I like all of it. My favourite track is 12 16. I like how it sounds kinda like 80's U2 :wink: and how it builds up. The end is awesome. I like the softer tracks too though, like Kalimera.

I really love We Vs. Death also...I have their album Postneoliberalparadise. I like the brooding aspect of it, and of course love the guitarwork...the use of horns is interesting too, dunno if I'd like that with every band, but I like it with them. Reminds me of some Sigur Ros (they're post rock too right?) I like God is an Astronaut pretty well, and Long Distance Calling, who are definitely heavier. They remind me a bit of Tool, Deftones, and Porcupine Tree at times.

the links to EitS would be awesome...my email is woolymammals@gmail.com

thanks!!

Sigur Rós indeed is post-rock

in fact, Maserati lists U2 as an influence... U2 and Neu! but until this last albumt that influences were clear, because in their first album is more like Can and kraut rock

We Vs. Death is amazing...I just got their entire album We Too Are Concerned / We Too Are Concerned from last.fm for free :drool: I think they're my new favourite post-rock outfit. i highly reccommend them to anyone who hasn't listened to them. excellent, excellent guitar

I'm quite excited to see 65daysofstatic open for The Cure this Friday. :rockon:

Because of the sound issues we had during The Cure, which I spoke of in the Cure thread, in a lot of ways I actually felt like 65daysofstatic were the overall highlight of the night for me. They only played 30 mins, but what an awesome 30 mins it was. It was great to hear EVERYONE clap and scream after every song for an opening band they haven't heard of (especially when that opening band is a post-rock band!).

Even though I own all of their albums, I had a difficult time recognizing a lot of the songs. They opened with Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here. There may have been some new songs, as I straight up didn't recognize a lot of the set. I'm almost positive we got Don't Go Down To Sorrow at some point. I nearly shed tears of happiness when I heard the familiar piano to Radio Protector start towards the end of their set, it's such a beautiful song and it sounded wonderful live.

They were absolutely fantastic live. the actual "band" element came through much more live, and it was cool to finally see that some parts of songs I'd assumed were electronic samples were actually being played. I have a feeling I'm going to go on a 65dos kick now.

If you like post-rock, you at least owe it to yourself to listen to Radio Protector. Do it.

I hate you mofo! I need to see 65dos live T_T

great you enjoyed, pics? vids?, anything?

I hate you mofo! I need to see 65dos live T_T

great you enjoyed, pics? vids?, anything?

No pics, sorry. I seem to always forget I have a camera on my phone.

I'm pretty sure they also played Install a Beak in the Heart That Clucks Time in Arabic.

My ears are still ringing. :) Pelican only played for a half hour, but it was a fucking :rockon: half hour.

The first band was eh. After the singer takes more singing lessons, they may move up to ok. And I took everyone's advice and left before Circa Survive and Thrice came on. :up:

The young man who plays guitar for Pelican sold me my fetching new brown t-shirt. He was pleasantly surprised when I told him I only came to see them tonight. :)

I'm going to see A Silver Mt. Zion tonight. With my brand new camera, so I'll post pictures later. :rockon:

please, please, post pictures of ASMZ, best band on earth since GY!BE are on hiatus

Back
Top Bottom