The Post-Rock Thread - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #601
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:41 PM
I missed this thread most of all.

I haven't listened to the new Russian Circles yet, but I'm going to fix that soon, on the other hand, the new EitS it's good, but I think just for fans, "Trembling Hands" and "Postcard from 1952" are two of their best songs.

Maybeshewill released one of the best post-rock albums this year, "I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone", much better than "Take Care..."

Here some band for your consideration:

Flies are spies from hell
Kid Ikarus
New Century Classics
Worrytrain
Immanu El

And please, don't mention "Sigur Rós" and "post-rock" in the same sentence.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #602
The Male

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Empros rules hard. So much better than Geneva, which was occasionally lovely but generally boring.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #603
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Sigur Ros, post-rock.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #604
The Male

Local Time: 08:41 PM
LemonMelon, grimacing.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #605
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Homer Simpson, smiling politely.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #606
Vocal parasite

But in seriousness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
The only thing I didn't care for was Praise Be Man - I don't think the vocals work and it doesn't really go with the rest of the album. A poor closer.
I didn't really think much of it on first listen, but a good number of spins later and I'm really starting to feel it's the come-down the album needs at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack In The Box View Post
Maybeshewill released one of the best post-rock albums this year, "I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone", much better than "Take Care..."
Yeah, that Maybeshewill album is pretty solid - though I think their previous one, Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony, was better.

Can I take this opportunity to again tout the glories of Sleepmakeswaves' new album? Definitely in my top five albums of the year (currently with Russian Circles at #1). Pretty thrilled they've just announced a Melbourne show for next month - I missed their album launch thanks to being overseas. Though they've got a new drummer now ... it's so weird to think that the band playing now has only half the same members as the band I first fell in love with two or three years ago.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #607
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I listened to the new Russian Circles... wow, really, one of the best works this year and not just in the post-rock department

I remembered this collab... great job, this is what I call the new post-rock royalty

Black Moon Empire by Collapse Under The Empire & Mooncake (official video) Genre: Post-Rock - YouTube
Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #608
Blue Meth Addict

JitB!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #609
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You missed me, I know
Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Can I take this opportunity to again tout the glories of Sleepmakeswaves' new album? Definitely in my top five albums of the year (currently with Russian Circles at #1). Pretty thrilled they've just announced a Melbourne show for next month - I missed their album launch thanks to being overseas. Though they've got a new drummer now ... it's so weird to think that the band playing now has only half the same members as the band I first fell in love with two or three years ago.
Didn't even know they had a new album out. Really dug the first one. Thanks for the tip - I'm gonna go take a listen.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #611
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I've seen Explosions in the Sky before, but for some reason had forgotten how absolutely fantastic they are live. Good golly, I'm on a crazy music high still. You listen to this band's albums and think, "This is beautiful, but there's no way it'll sound this good live", but somehow it ends up being even better. Their music, in many ways, sets the bar for how beautiful and moving music can, and should, be to me. Their live translations also set the bar for how good a band should be able to sound live. Beautiful show, beautiful songs, beautiful night.

I'm totally going to buy an album or two of theirs and just give them to people I know this weekend. More people need to know this band.
I had a similar response when I saw them in West Texas this fall. It was a small, ugly concrete building and the sound was bad. It was supposed to have been outside under the massive West Texas sky which would have been so amazing since they hail from that area and apparently some of the music is inspired by that landscape, but they had to move it inside because of a frightening storm.

So, point being, even in a crappy environment with bad sound, I was seriously moved. A couple of people came up to me the next day around town and said things like, 'I saw you at the show last night and wanted to say hi but you looked like you didn't want to be disturbed from the music.' They were right.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #612
Blue Meth Addict

Strangely, I remember reading something or other they posted about that show on Facebook. Had no clue you were there, cool stuff.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #613
Vocal parasite

Can't wait to see Explosions In The Sky next month. I thought I was going to have to cut short a trip to New Zealand by a few days so that I didn't miss them in Melbourne ... then they added a couple of Kiwi dates. Any excuse to stay longer in New Zealand is a good excuse! Plus the tickets are cheaper and the venues they're playing are about a quarter the size of the place they're playing in Melbourne, so those are big bonuses.

Their Melbourne show in 2008 remains one of my most cherished concert memories. Just overwhelmingly good. Their albums never really seem to capture how exceptional they are on stage.

Quote:
I remembered this collab... great job, this is what I call the new post-rock royalty

Black Moon Empire by Collapse Under The Empire & Mooncake (official video) Genre: Post-Rock - YouTube
Ooh, thanks for posting this. Mooncake are pretty good (shame about the band name) and I wasn't aware they'd done this collaboration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Didn't even know they had a new album out. Really dug the first one. Thanks for the tip - I'm gonna go take a listen.
You should quite enjoy it, I hope. It's actually technically their debut album - I always think of In Today Already Walks Tomorrow as an album, but they only count it as an EP. Despite the personnel changes, it's still got that SMW sound. I had a bit of trepidation about that when I first played it, but turns out there was nothing to worry about!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #614
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Flies are spies from hell
Holy shit, that's an awesome band name!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #615
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^ of an awesome band

I must say, Axver, the new Sleepmakeswaves it's amazing, beyond words, "One Day You Will Teach Me To Let Go Of My Fears" is one of the best songs this year by far, beautiful... although, I think it's just an EP, right?, I can't count an EP like an album for my "best of" list at the end of the year

Tags
post-rock