The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose you did not like "Destruction..." production, I liked it, it was different... good different

anyway, more info here 65daysofstatic

I'm very excited, I mean, is my favorite active post-rock band, them and Yndi Halda

and talking of bands I love, "Kollaps Tradixionales" anyone?, c'mon, is Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (without the Tra-la-la Band this time), amazing album, much more melodic, there are songs that sound almost normal

Yeah, they went for the whole "no fake volume boost" thing with the production on the last one. Oddly though, it seems like they really quieted down the bass in it too. I guess most "modern production" gives a huge bass boost too, so it just seemed weird all around. Still a good album, just a little weird to get used to.

Did I tell you I saw them open for The Cure? They were actually the highlight of that specific show (The Cure's sound guy should have been fired, the mix was terrible). Cure fans seemed to really love them though, they got fairly large amounts of applause, I was quite surprised.

I had no idea they have a live album out. Did it get a North America physical release, or was it UK or Japan only?

I had no idea they have a live album out. Did it get a North America physical release, or was it UK or Japan only?

yeah, I think it was worldwide, also they released a DVD of the same show

@phanan: you're welcome, I couldn't pick just 8 tracks :p

today I uploaded this one: http://8tracks.com/g_clayton/desesperanza
more ambient/piano, but still with a post-rocky mood

I kind of like "A Chorus of Storytellers", but isn't that great, not bad either, I'm not hooked

lovely video btw, thanks for sharing

an album that disappointed me was the last Eluvium work, "Smiles", why... WHY?!

I haven't even bothered listening to the new Eluvium, since I assumed it would kill me to hear him ruin this amazing songs with singing. I was actually going to ask you if it was as bad as I assumed it would be, but it sounds like I don't have to ask!

You're right about Album Leaf, it's not a bad album, it's just not nearly as good as the last two, so it seems disappointing in that sense.

Can't get the pic to work, but new God Is An Astronaut coming around May.

First song, In The Distance Fading, is already out and sounds fantastic.

My first thought when I heard In The Distance Fading was "welcome back, All Is Violent, All Is Bright". Given that's quite strongly my favourite GIAA album, I see no flaws here.

And visiting this thread reminds me I still haven't listened to that Misuse album that AtomicBono put me onto. Goddamn, I better get around to that.

I haven't even bothered listening to the new Eluvium, since I assumed it would kill me to hear him ruin this amazing songs with singing. I was actually going to ask you if it was as bad as I assumed it would be, but it sounds like I don't have to ask!

You're right about Album Leaf, it's not a bad album, it's just not nearly as good as the last two, so it seems disappointing in that sense.

I did not know that it would include vocals, it was a surprise, not a good one, his previous work as Matthew Robert Cooper is beautiful, more organic, just him playing piano, amazing, "Smiles" is my personal disappointment of the year so far

if you like Album Leaf maybe you will like Inu, Kyte and Venice is Sinking

When I heard the new Eluvium would have vocals, I was immediately turned off and haven't even bothered to listen to it. Based on your comments, it probably won't happen any time soon.

I do like some of what Kyte has done. Their first self-titled album was good, and then they had that EP out, along with a full album in Japan which was way too bloated. Not sure if there were issues in getting the record out in different parts of the world, but they should have just released a regular album everywhere if it was an option, one that wasn't as long as the one from Japan.

Hopefully the new album that is upcoming will be decent.

I actually wish that more people married lyrics with post rock composition, but most bands that do seem to be built of pure instrumentalists so their attempts at vocals haven't been good. Obviously there's plenty of existing post rock bands that I don't want to see attempt it, but in the future, it would be cool. Mogwai's the closest and when they used to use 'vocals' it was weird spoken word stuff that made about as much sense as their song titles.

everybody is loving the new Eluvium, I don't understand, maybe because is easier listen to him with vocals?

I'm just a casual listener to Eluvium, and I can't say I care about the vocals either way. I don't particularly like or dislike Similes any more than his other albums. As is par for the course for Eluvium for me, it's pleasant enough stuff that I enjoy at the time but I'm not drawn back all too much.

Anyway, thoughts on the new Red Sparowes album, anybody? Sounding pretty sweet to me. The only thing missing are stupidly long song titles.

new Red Sparowes is their best so far, amazing album, but yeah, I kind of miss the long song titles XD

The funny part is that it actually has their longest album title ever, despite the uncharacteristically short song titles.

(After complaining for years about bands like U2 having unnecessarily long song titles, I never thought I'd see the day when I would complain about a band's song titles becoming too short ...!)

I think... post-rock is about epic-ness, and unnecessary long titles provide that, LOL

Best long post-rock song title?

My vote: Stupid Prick Gets Chased By The Police and Loses His Slut Girlfriend

LOL, that Mogwai song is awesome

but I like the old Red Sparowes titles like:

"And by Our Own Hand Did Every Last Bird Lie Silent in Their Puddles, the Air Barren of Song as the Clouds Drifted Away. For Killing Their Greatest Enemy, the Locusts Noisily Thanked Us and Turned Their Jaws Toward Our Crops, Swallowing Our Greed Whole."

LOL, that Mogwai song is awesome

but I like the old Red Sparowes titles like:

"And by Our Own Hand Did Every Last Bird Lie Silent in Their Puddles, the Air Barren of Song as the Clouds Drifted Away. For Killing Their Greatest Enemy, the Locusts Noisily Thanked Us and Turned Their Jaws Toward Our Crops, Swallowing Our Greed Whole."

the title alone makes me want to listen to it. I love post-rock song titles.

I have my own post-rock project sort of ... the band name is Your moat is a sea, and the album title is This day was the first cause of ruin. One song is called So love the destroyer blazed, and another is When the sky turned to dust, you were there. I think they're pretty good post-rock titles... :wink:

GIAA - May 17

2694413.jpg

Back
Top Bottom