The Post-Grunge Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I also said Radiohead, among some other bands too, weren't included because they transcended the time period. Because they were/are better than 100% of the above list. In short, they're too good for the list.

And yes, I've never heard a Harvey Danger song other than Flagpole Sitta, so that's what I'm basing that on.
So, a post-grunge (era-wise) band is too good for a post-grunge (era-wise) list? Does that mean that bands like The Who and Pink Floyd aren't classic rock bands because they still had success in the 80s?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
So, a post-grunge (era-wise) band is too good for a post-grunge (era-wise) list? Does that mean that bands like The Who and Pink Floyd aren't classic rock bands because they still had success in the 80s?
The list is specifically a list of bands that had big commercial success in a certain era but nothing near it after, a list of bands that are associated by most with a specific 5-7 year period rather than being timeless like Radiohead. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
The list is specifically a list of bands that had big commercial success in a certain era but nothing near it after, a list of bands that are associated by most with a specific 5-7 year period rather than being timeless like Radiohead. I don't know what's so hard to understand.
That makes sense. The only bands I see on there that are even still operational as far as I know are Goo Goo Dolls and BNL.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

A pretty nostalgic list for me, not because I liked all this music, but because this was the era I grew up more or less.

I think some of these bands you may not have the best or even most nostalgic songs, but a pretty decent list.

I think Live may deserve a different spot, this particular song was right about the time they were declining. They had some pretty solid albums.

I think you're missing some of the more nostalgic songs from Bush.

I never gave Better Than Ezra a chance during their height, but they wrote some decent songs, one of my favorites is a later song, Overcome.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
That makes sense. The only bands I see on there that are even still operational as far as I know are Goo Goo Dolls and BNL.
And Third Eye Blind.

And Harvey Danger until 2006.

Quote:
Because The Bends is so timeless? Anyway, I guess it's just hard to understand why your arbitrary list of bands that don't sound similar leave out bands that were there at the same time just because they changed a half a decade later into something completely different.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
A pretty nostalgic list for me, not because I liked all this music, but because this was the era I grew up more or less.

I think some of these bands you may not have the best or even most nostalgic songs, but a pretty decent list.

I think Live may deserve a different spot, this particular song was right about the time they were declining. They had some pretty solid albums.

I think you're missing some of the more nostalgic songs from Bush.

I never gave Better Than Ezra a chance during their height, but they wrote some decent songs, one of my favorites is a later song, Overcome.
Unless better than Ezra had a song called overcome that I never heard, I think you may have mixed them up with Live. Which I find funny, cos I did the same thing at one point. I was trying to figure out where the hell desperately wanting was on throwing copper...

Man, live were one of my favorite bands at one point, but some of their stuff was awful. I still like pretty much everything up until the distance to here, but I listened to V for the first time in ages (ironically, the one with overcome on it) and most it was just painful. The first three albums, however, were still enjoyable. But yeah, for live you'd want I Alone or Lightning Crashes. Selling the Drama, even.

Post-grunge is stupid, because slapping post- on something to call it a genre is always stupid.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Haha, eve 6. We can also file that under albums I loved when I was 15. I will admit to some huge nostalgia on that one.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's almost like someone set out to spark a rant from me.
As a bigtime OG fan of so-called "grunge" (I fucking hate that term) I can't tell you how much I loathe some of this music. I mean, I can, and I just might. But I don't want to.

Live definitely doesn't deserve to be on this list.
They were recording Mental Jewelry before Nevermind and Ten were out. But also in general. I mean, that is one fucking dreadful list. I am no mega fan but Live had some pretty good shit. Live and...probably Collective Soul (one of the first real post-grunge bands) are the only bands listed there not worth absolutely burning to the ground.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post

Live definitely doesn't deserve to be on this list.
They were recording Mental Jewelry before Nevermind and Ten were out. But also in general. I mean, that is one fucking dreadful list. I am no mega fan but Live had some pretty good shit. Live and...probably Collective Soul (one of the first real post-grunge bands) are the only bands listed there not worth absolutely burning to the ground.
Yeah, I wouldn't put Live on that list either for the reasons you mentioned.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Unless better than Ezra had a song called overcome that I never heard, I think you may have mixed them up with Live.
Better than Ezra - Overcome - YouTube
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Everclear. I had forgotten they existed.
lol
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well - these bands were more alongside grunge (I didn't get into grunge, so I'm not clear on the timeframe)...

Ride, MBV, Slowdive...well shoegaze in general (which I did get into). Also Spiritualized, Curve, Garbage...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Discuss.
There is not a single band or song on this list that I liked. I was in my 20's at the time, and these bands seemed to cash in on the sweat and tears of much better "alternative" bands. These bands were to Alternative Rock what the Monkeys were to the Beatles.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

How about this one?

Tripping Daisy - Piranha - YouTube
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, I have zero interest in reliving this music. Fucking dreadful.

Do any of you guys have friends that have pretty much given up on finding new music in the last 10 years? Then you go to their house for a party and they throw on their shitty 90s mix? Man, I hate that