The Post-Grunge Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think this would fall under "post-grunge," but I do have a fondness for some of those one-off hits from the mid-90s. "Copacetic" from Local H (I think?) is an example. Or "Low" from Cracker. I would never go out of my way to hear them, but I'm glad when they come on.

Ah, I see its on one of the albums I didn't even know existed.

Good, cos that live song by the same name sucks. I remember reading things where people were saying it was literally the only good thing about V, and it's been used in a number of melodramatic musical montages (the shield, I'm looking at you). But I've never had that much love for it.

Also, I have zero interest in reliving this music. Fucking dreadful.

Do any of you guys have friends that have pretty much given up on finding new music in the last 10 years? Then you go to their house for a party and they throw on their shitty 90s mix? Man, I hate that

No, worse. My friends think shitty 80s mixes are the way to go, and it's always the ones who weren't even over the age of 5 when that decade ended.

How about this one?
Thanks for the nightmare...

The biggest problem I had at this time in the 90's was that people considered Matchbox 20 alternative. Not that I was the coolest kid at the cafe - but I did wear black in the era of neo-psychedelia and had some friends with wonderful music taste. I really enjoyed the process of making/receiving those mix tapes of really unusual but exciting bands like Spacemen 3 - bands that you never heard on the radio so would have no other way of gaining exposure except word-of-mouth.

It was so much more fun than social media - I actually feel bad that younger kids will never have that experience (unless they revive it and add their own twist to it - they would be really cool).

No, worse. My friends think shitty 80s mixes are the way to go, and it's always the ones who weren't even over the age of 5 when that decade ended.

I still maintain an awesome 80s mix is well within reason. But you just can't be playing all the shit you hear in the grocery store

Do any of you guys have friends that have pretty much given up on finding new music in the last 10 years? Then you go to their house for a party and they throw on their shitty 90s mix? Man, I hate that

I just try and take over the cable - and play my own mix. I have some good playlists that can fit the vibe of most parties. The biggest compliment is when someone asks, "Who's this?" - and they sincerely want to know.

There is some great music being made right now. As there is in every generation. As long as we're human and experience the full spectrum of emotions - someone is out there putting great music to it.

I just try and take over the cable - and play my own mix.

I get shit for doing this. Apparently I'm notorious for taking over the stereo.
If they were playing decent music I wouldn't have to

You know, my teenage stepdaughter is pretty cool and I'm slowly but surely introducing here to some of the bands I loved in the 90's (we've exhausted the 80's). I was playing MBV's "To Here Knows When" and she said "it's ok, but it's not a song."

Then I showed her this clip:

Rachel Zeffira's Remake of MBVs Classic - To Here Knows When

Now she loves it. She can now understand, a bit, why a band would choose to heavily distort their sound. It's a choice - and it reflects the emotion and attitude of the artists. It creates a mood.

I'm trying to teach her to listen for the song within the song...

Back
Top Bottom