The Police Tour '07 - Part 3 - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #106
Refugee

Location: The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap, clap, clap*
Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryList...=275231&nbc1=1

After looking at those pics, those same shirts, minus the tour shirt, is available in The Police store online right now.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:33 PM
I saw the show last night. Crappy seats behind the stage in balcony.

I didn't see the opening act, drinking beer instead.

The band put on an excellent show. It was definitely not a U2 show but good nevertheless. They tweaked many of their hits but they still sounded awesome. Synchronicity II was fantastic early in the show. There was a political video during Invisible Sun with the band superimposed on the screen while they played. Roxanne certainly brought down the house, super extended mix. 2 encores, one with 3 songs and a single song near the end where they show a montage of clips of the boys in their youth.

I would add a couple of back-up singers, Andy is no Edge, you could barely hear him even when he was singing. My friend and I sang the "That's my soul up there" part during King of Pain. Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see. Sting needs to walk behind the stage more than once if they agreed to sell seats behind them. Stewart gave our section props during the show and was super excited at the end. I think this tour is gonna make a ton of money. They don't have any humans on the stage except for themselves, no light techs sitting in chairs, fairly simple stagesetup. Sting's bass guitar is old and ratty looking but that makes it that much more impressive. And I have to say that these 3 guys still sound better than 95% of the overproduced junk out there today.

Looking forward to Wednesday and seeing the show from the front.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
"benfrith" has put up more vids on youtube. as have other people. At times you could as many as 40 fan cameras/phones running during songs like ROXANNNE...
A friend who was at the show called me during that song - it was awesome!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #109
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I saw the show last night. Crappy seats behind the stage in balcony.

I didn't see the opening act, drinking beer instead.

The band put on an excellent show. It was definitely not a U2 show but good nevertheless. They tweaked many of their hits but they still sounded awesome. Synchronicity II was fantastic early in the show. There was a political video during Invisible Sun with the band superimposed on the screen while they played. Roxanne certainly brought down the house, super extended mix. 2 encores, one with 3 songs and a single song near the end where they show a montage of clips of the boys in their youth.

I would add a couple of back-up singers, Andy is no Edge, you could barely hear him even when he was singing. My friend and I sang the "That's my soul up there" part during King of Pain. Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see. Sting needs to walk behind the stage more than once if they agreed to sell seats behind them. Stewart gave our section props during the show and was super excited at the end. I think this tour is gonna make a ton of money. They don't have any humans on the stage except for themselves, no light techs sitting in chairs, fairly simple stagesetup. Sting's bass guitar is old and ratty looking but that makes it that much more impressive. And I have to say that these 3 guys still sound better than 95% of the overproduced junk out there today.

Looking forward to Wednesday and seeing the show from the front.
Howdy Trev! Long time no see!

I wish you could report on Fiction Plane. I have to see them here in Dallas, and I want to know how they are. Hope you'll watch them on Wednesday to give us the low down.

I'm kind of worried about the backing vocals as well. I'm not saying that Stew and Andy are bad, it's just that their job is hard enough without having to think about singing. I'd rather have them focus on playing and have someone else doing backing vocals.

And you should know better than talk about Sting's bass that way! That's his baby! He's had it since day one. My hubby is a bass player and he said if he had the money, he'd buy an old '70's built ratty bass. He says the older they are the better they sound. So Sting keeps his ratty old bass for a good reason.

And yes, I do hope this will wake up today's youth. Maybe The Police will show them how it's done!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #110
Refugee

From Yahoo News......there's video to watch as well!.....Click on "Play Video" underneath Sting's picture.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/...eople_police_9

Stew's so funny!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

The Police Tour FanClub would like to announce that The Police have added 2 new tour dates to their North American tour.

The new dates are:
Oct. 31 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Nov. 11 - Boston, MA @ TD BankNorth Garden.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see.
Saw a video - that's probably the most percussion instruments I've seen on a stage.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

They also added Nov.2nd at Madison Square Garden
Old 05-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I would add a couple of back-up singers, Andy is no Edge, you could barely hear him even when he was singing. My friend and I sang the "That's my soul up there" part during King of Pain. Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see.
What they could do is like what U2 does. Have someone like Terry under the stage trigger back up vocals that enhance what they are doing. There is nothing wrong with that. Not sure why they dont do that or just have back up singers. They had them on the Synchronicity tour after all.

I agree about Stewart. Watching him hammer away back there is worth the price of admission and one of the primary things I'm looking forward to seeing on this tour. The Police were the first concert I ever went to back in 1983 and Stewart's playing is what I remembered the most from that show. He attacks the drums!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:03 PM
There are a couple backing trax used during the concert. I don't think they use them because Stew would have to play with a click track(lol!!) Larry is more "talented" at playing with a guide.

Surprisingly, the Zamfir flute notes that introduce "Walking in your Footsteps" are actually played by sting live on some 4-5 note pan-flute looking instrument.

I didn't see Sting playing any foot pedals like he did at some vintage POLICE shows.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
There are a couple backing trax used during the concert. I don't think they use them because Stew would have to play with a click track(lol!!) Larry is more "talented" at playing with a guide.
They wouldnt need the click track if they had someone triggering the effect like Terry does on alot of U2's effects.

They should just have back up singers like they used for Synchronicity. I guess they would have to pay them though and those three want as much money as possible!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #117
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra
I wish you could report on Fiction Plane. I have to see them here in Dallas, and I want to know how they are.

I'm having difficulty typing up what I am trying to say...

I liked them but I really think they need to play to a younger crowd ~ not a bunch of 40/50ish adults re-living the late 70s/early 80s.

Joe Sumner is quite charismatic and reminds me of his father ~ especially on the screaming high notes.

Joe plays the bass ~ like his dad.

Joe spoke to the crowd ~ I liked that

There were 4 songs I really liked but I'm not familiar enough with their music to know what the titles are.

One of the people we were sitting next to said they were going to be on Jimmy Kimmel next month.

I hope this helps
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 AM   #118
Refugee

^Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

I agree about Stewart. Watching him hammer away back there is worth the price of admission and one of the primary things I'm looking forward to seeing on this tour. The Police were the first concert I ever went to back in 1983 and Stewart's playing is what I remembered the most from that show. He attacks the drums!
I saw them in 1983 as well, but I don't remember Stewart using two drum kits like he is for this tour.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Saw a video - that's probably the most percussion instruments I've seen on a stage.

you haven't seen Mike Portnoy's SIAMESE MONSTER :

Tags
the police