The Police Tour '07 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ntalwar said:

I saw them in 1983 as well, but I don't remember Stewart using two drum kits like he is for this tour.

:scratch: I didnt say he did? I said what I remember was how he attacked the drums, it stood out to me.

Blue Room said:

:scratch: I didnt say he did? I said what I remember was how he attacked the drums, it stood out to me.

I didn't say you didn't say he did :wink:. I was mainly responding to "Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent.". I didn't really get what that meant until I saw the performance videos, with the elaboarate setup. Lots of drummers attack the drums, but that setup and how he used it is what stood out for me.

pepokiss said:

you haven't seen Mike Portnoy's SIAMESE MONSTER :faint::

siamesemonster5ss.jpg

sspec.gif

Don't forget Neil Peart's 360 degree set!

R30neil-736835.jpg

neil_p1.gif

For OC/SoCal fans

Seems like Honda Center (Arrowhead Pond) tix aren't selling too well, you can get Row L in 206 for $250/ea, I went with Row A in Sec 421 (behind stage, 3rd level but front row, and Pond behind stage tix are pretty close) for $50/ea

<<drum tech: Lorne "Gump" Wheaton>>

Buried in the Peart listing is the above credit. Humourous to those that have decent knowledge of the NHL and the Montreal Canadiens goaltenders.

fah said:
The scalpers took a beating here :applaud:

There were lots of tickets available and the $225 seats were selling outside for $50.

I guess the scalpers also overestimated demand - maybe it's mostly them who bought the expensive seats. It will vary by city, but it's good to know that.

Does anyone know the setlist for last night? (I could swear they played Vancouver again) :|

martha said:
For 250 clams, Elvis himself better show up. :mad:

Elvis Costello was spotted watching the show in Vancouver last night.

John Mayer was also spotted.

Debbie Harry us also filming a movie here with P. Cruz, so she may have also been hiding in the crowd.

ntalwar said:

I guess the scalpers also overestimated demand - maybe it's mostly them who bought the expensive seats. It will vary by city, but it's good to know that.

It's going to vary enormously city to city and even show to show. If you see anything for under USD$40 grab it. There is definitely deals to be had for those wanting upgrades to killer tickets.

In Vancouver one could gain attendance to the fanclub show from $50-100 cash outfront quite easily. For the official opening night tickets could be had for $20 in the nosebleeds. After the rave reviews, and fewer scalpers overbuying, it was $100 just to get in the door at showtime Wednesday night.

At this point I think the Police could do another night at GM Place later this year.

I saw the show 3 times and also taped most of each show. I've "experienced" the show 6 times, 7 if you count half a rehearsal I heard, and I still want to see more. I think word will spread about this tour quite quickly.

BTW, the setlist was virtually identical all 3 nights. "Truth Hits Everybody" was MIA on Wednesday and 2 songs may have been swapped early on the set from the fan club show to the proper shows.

u2fp

I got to see Elvis at a U2 show in Anaheim back in 2001. No extra charge. Just my face value seat on the day of the show of $135 (or something). :happy: U2 even threw in a little Pump It Up snippet in a song (no vocals)

I :heart: Elvis

Sorry, I have to say this, but The Police boards are surrounded by OLD FARTS!!!! I checked this guy out, and he's only 39 years old. Here's what he says in reply to a post about a woman asking a Police Fan Club member to sit down and quit dancing because she couldn't see from her chair.....

I find it particularly annoying when people stand the whole freaking concert to dance and I would have been as annoyed as the woman you mentioned above. Some people want to sit and pay attention the to music and see the performers, not dance around like idiots. Sorry, but dancing should be reserved for the back row.....

I just had to vent this, and too I know us U2 fans will think this guy is :coocoo:

Allegra said:
Sorry, I have to say this, but The Police boards are surrounded by OLD FARTS!!!! I checked this guy out, and he's only 39 years old. Here's what he says in reply to a post about a woman asking a Police Fan Club member to sit down and quit dancing because she couldn't see from her chair.....

I find it particularly annoying when people stand the whole freaking concert to dance and I would have been as annoyed as the woman you mentioned above. Some people want to sit and pay attention the to music and see the performers, not dance around like idiots. Sorry, but dancing should be reserved for the back row.....

I just had to vent this, and too I know us U2 fans will think this guy is :coocoo:

Standing and dancing the night away :heart:

This is why drummers are the best!

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USN2247412520070601

Police drummer rips band's "lame" concert

Fri Jun 1, 2007 7:09AM EDT

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The singer in the Police jumps like a "petulant pansy," the drummer is making a "complete hash," and who knows what the guitarist is doing?

Notes from a bitter critic? Actually, it's a disarmingly frank concert review from the aforementioned drummer of the newly reunited rock trio.

A philosophical Stewart Copeland unleashed his vitriol in a posting on his Web site on Thursday, a day after the band played its second show in Vancouver, the Canadian city where it began its first world tour in more than 20 years on Monday.

"This is unbelievably lame," Copeland wrote of Wednesday's show at the GM Place arena. "We are the mighty Police and we are totally at sea."

Most of the 20,000 fans at the venue might not have noticed a series of small flubs, but Copeland, singer/bassist Sting, and guitarist were painfully aware of them.

Copeland started the show off on the wrong foot, literally. He tripped as he took to the stage, and then banged his gong at the wrong time so that "the big pompous opening to the show is a damp squib."

He did not hear Summers' opening riff to "Message In a Bottle," and Sting in turn misheard Copeland's drum intro -- "so we are half a bar out of sync with each other. Andy is in Idaho."

They quickly recovered, but then Sting got his footwork wrong as he leapt into the air to signal the end to a shambolic version of their rat-race rant "Synchronicity II."

"The mighty Sting momentarily looks like a petulant pansy instead of the god of rock," Copeland reported.

"And so it goes, for song after song," he wrote, with tunes such as "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me" reduced to ruin.

"It usually takes about four or five shows in a tour before you get to the disaster gig. But we're The Police so we are a little ahead of schedule," he said.

Fortunately, no fists flew backstage as they did back in the Police's heyday. The threesome fell into each other's arms laughing hysterically, Copeland said.

"Screw it, it's only music. What are you gonna do? But maybe it's time to get out of Vancouver."

The band's next show is set for Saturday in Edmonton.

Reuters

:clap:

Conversations between the 11 year old mini and myself this morning at breakfast:

mini fah: Mom, lots of people saw you at the concert on Monday!

fah: really?

mini fah: yeah, they all said they wanted to know how you got such great seats?

fah: well (I start to tell her but she stops me and says...)

mini fah: One of the Moms asked how you got to sit so close to that lady who just had the twins?

fah: Diana Krall?

mini fah: yeah her

fah: where was she?

mini fah: Mom, you were almost sitting next to her

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Sadly, I have no recollection of her or her husband!

Another casual breakfast conversation in the fah household

Here's Copeland's entire story from his website......

“Whenever you’re ready Mr. Copeland” says Charlie, the production manager, as two crew members hold aside the giant gong, creating just enough space for me to slither onto my percussion stage, which is still down in its pit. I leap on board but my foot catches something and I sprawl into the arena in a jumble as the little stage starts to rise into view. Never mind. The audience is screaming with anticipation as I collect myself in the dark and start to warm, up the gong with a few gentle taps. But I’m overdoing it. It’s resonating and reaching it’s crescendo before the stage has fully reached its position. Sort of like a premature ejaculation. There’s nothing for it so I take a big swing for the big hit. Problem is, I’m just fractionally too far away and the beater misses the sweet spot and the big pompous opening to the show is a damp squib. Never mind.

I stride manfully to my drums. Andy has started the opening guitar riff to MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE and the crowd is going nuts. Problem is, I missed hearing him start. Is he on the first time around or the second? I look over at Sting and he’s not much help, his cue is me – and I’m lost. Never mind. “Crack!” on the snare and I’m in, so Sting starts singing. Problem is, he heard my crack as two in the bar, but it was actually four – so we are half a bar out of sync with each other. Andy is in Idaho.

Well we are professionals so we soon get sorted, but the groove is eluding us. We crash through MESSAGE and then go strait into SYNCHRONICITY. But there is just something wrong. We just can’t get on the good foot. We shamble through the song and hit the big ending. Last night Sting did a big leap for the cut-off hit, and he makes the same move tonight, but he gets the footwork just a little bit wrong and doesn’t quite achieve lift-off. The mighty Sting momentarily looks like a petulant pansy instead of the god of rock. Never Mind. Next song is going to be great…

But it isn’t. We get to the end of the first verse and I snap into the chorus groove – and Sting doesn’t. He’s still in the verse. We’ll have to listen to the tapes tomorrow to see who screwed up, but we are so off kilter that Sting counts us in to begin the song again. This is ubeLIEVably lame. We are the mighty Police and we are totally at sea.

And so it goes, for song after song. All I can think about is how Dietmar is going to string us up. In rehearsal this afternoon we changed the keys of EVERY LITTLE THING and DON’T STAND SO CLOSE so needless to say Andy and Sting are now on-stage in front of twenty thousand fans playing avant-garde twelve-tone hodgepodges of both tunes. Lost, lost, lost. I also changed my part for DON’T STAND and it’s actually working quite well but there is a dissonant noise coming from my two colleagues. In WALKING/FOOTSTEPS, I worked out a cool rhythm change for the rock-a-billy guitar solo, but now I make a complete hash of it – by playing it in the wrong part of the song. It’s not sounding so cool.

It usually takes about four or five shows in a tour before you get to the disaster gig. But we’re The Police so we are a little ahead of schedule. It’s only the second show (not counting the fan gig – 4,000 people doesn’t count as a gig in the Police scale of things).
When we meet up back-stage for the first time after the set and before the encores, we fall into each other’s arms laughing hysterically. Above our heads, the crowd is making so much noise that we can’t talk. We just shake our heads ruefully and head back up the stairs to the stage. Funny thing is, we are enjoying ourselves anyway. Screw it, it’s only music. What are you gonna do? But maybe it’s time to get out of Vancouver…

Back
Top Bottom