The Police Tour '07 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was great :hyper:

I wrote about it in my journal but some of highlights are:

- they sounded awesome :up:
- that see thru/gauze screen was pretty cool
- Sting's voice :drool:
- I shook Trudie Styler's hand
- I wish I could go again on Wednesday night

The best songs were:

Don't Stand So Close To Me
Wrapped Around Your Finger
Ok, who am I kidding they were all great :)

On the down side, there was no Bono sighting but it appears that Penelope Cruz may have been there. Row 12 is where the second section of floor seating starts consquently there were people walking in front of us all the time (that how I saw/met Trudie). I was watching Trudie when my friend said, wow did you see Penelope Cruz and I turned and saw this woman walking away from me who could have been her but I can't say for sure. :shrug:

I wrote a bit more in my journal but I really have to go to bed. Going to a concert has not helped my cold and my throat is raw raw raw...

:heart: cough syrup

Nighty night :wave:

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions...later

Just got back. Eddie Vedder was spotted, but he's frequented Vancouver before on his own time.

Looked to be the same setlist, but the show was tighter than the Fan Club doo dah.

It was an easy ticket for those going the scalper route, even on opening night.

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls====275231&nbc1=1

14129191.jpg
14129195.jpg
14129175.jpg
14129174.jpg
14129171.jpg

Every guitar Andy plays has a south park "who killed kenny" strap that alway visible in quality close-up photographs.

Just something for the trainspotters and because its super fucking funny

"benfrith" has put up more vids on youtube. as have other people. At times you could as many as 40 fan cameras/phones running during songs like ROXANNNE...

I saw the show last night. Crappy seats behind the stage in balcony.

I didn't see the opening act, drinking beer instead.

The band put on an excellent show. It was definitely not a U2 show but good nevertheless. They tweaked many of their hits but they still sounded awesome. Synchronicity II was fantastic early in the show. There was a political video during Invisible Sun with the band superimposed on the screen while they played. Roxanne certainly brought down the house, super extended mix. 2 encores, one with 3 songs and a single song near the end where they show a montage of clips of the boys in their youth.

I would add a couple of back-up singers, Andy is no Edge, you could barely hear him even when he was singing. My friend and I sang the "That's my soul up there" part during King of Pain. Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see. Sting needs to walk behind the stage more than once if they agreed to sell seats behind them. Stewart gave our section props during the show and was super excited at the end. I think this tour is gonna make a ton of money. They don't have any humans on the stage except for themselves, no light techs sitting in chairs, fairly simple stagesetup. Sting's bass guitar is old and ratty looking but that makes it that much more impressive. And I have to say that these 3 guys still sound better than 95% of the overproduced junk out there today.

Looking forward to Wednesday and seeing the show from the front.

U2FanPeter said:
"benfrith" has put up more vids on youtube. as have other people. At times you could as many as 40 fan cameras/phones running during songs like ROXANNNE...

:lol: A friend who was at the show called me during that song - it was awesome! :lol:

trevster2k said:
I saw the show last night. Crappy seats behind the stage in balcony.

I didn't see the opening act, drinking beer instead.

The band put on an excellent show. It was definitely not a U2 show but good nevertheless. They tweaked many of their hits but they still sounded awesome. Synchronicity II was fantastic early in the show. There was a political video during Invisible Sun with the band superimposed on the screen while they played. Roxanne certainly brought down the house, super extended mix. 2 encores, one with 3 songs and a single song near the end where they show a montage of clips of the boys in their youth.

I would add a couple of back-up singers, Andy is no Edge, you could barely hear him even when he was singing. My friend and I sang the "That's my soul up there" part during King of Pain. Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see. Sting needs to walk behind the stage more than once if they agreed to sell seats behind them. Stewart gave our section props during the show and was super excited at the end. I think this tour is gonna make a ton of money. They don't have any humans on the stage except for themselves, no light techs sitting in chairs, fairly simple stagesetup. Sting's bass guitar is old and ratty looking but that makes it that much more impressive. And I have to say that these 3 guys still sound better than 95% of the overproduced junk out there today.

Looking forward to Wednesday and seeing the show from the front.

Howdy Trev! Long time no see! :hug:

I wish you could report on Fiction Plane. I have to see them here in Dallas, and I want to know how they are. Hope you'll watch them on Wednesday to give us the low down.

I'm kind of worried about the backing vocals as well. I'm not saying that Stew and Andy are bad, it's just that their job is hard enough without having to think about singing. I'd rather have them focus on playing and have someone else doing backing vocals.

And you should know better than talk about Sting's bass that way! :shame: :wink: That's his baby! He's had it since day one. My hubby is a bass player and he said if he had the money, he'd buy an old '70's built ratty bass. He says the older they are the better they sound. So Sting keeps his ratty old bass for a good reason.

And yes, I do hope this will wake up today's youth. Maybe The Police will show them how it's done!

The Police Tour FanClub would like to announce that The Police have added 2 new tour dates to their North American tour.

The new dates are:
Oct. 31 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Nov. 11 - Boston, MA @ TD BankNorth Garden.

trevster2k said:
Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see.

Saw a video - that's probably the most percussion instruments I've seen on a stage.

trevster2k said:

I would add a couple of back-up singers, Andy is no Edge, you could barely hear him even when he was singing. My friend and I sang the "That's my soul up there" part during King of Pain. Stewart Copeland is not a drummer, he is a percussionist of great talent. Fantastic performer to watch. He was probably the most fun to see.

What they could do is like what U2 does. Have someone like Terry under the stage trigger back up vocals that enhance what they are doing. There is nothing wrong with that. Not sure why they dont do that or just have back up singers. They had them on the Synchronicity tour after all.

I agree about Stewart. Watching him hammer away back there is worth the price of admission and one of the primary things I'm looking forward to seeing on this tour. The Police were the first concert I ever went to back in 1983 and Stewart's playing is what I remembered the most from that show. He attacks the drums! :)

There are a couple backing trax used during the concert. I don't think they use them because Stew would have to play with a click track(lol!!) Larry is more "talented" at playing with a guide.

Surprisingly, the Zamfir flute notes that introduce "Walking in your Footsteps" are actually played by sting live on some 4-5 note pan-flute looking instrument.

I didn't see Sting playing any foot pedals like he did at some vintage POLICE shows.

U2FanPeter said:
There are a couple backing trax used during the concert. I don't think they use them because Stew would have to play with a click track(lol!!) Larry is more "talented" at playing with a guide.

They wouldnt need the click track if they had someone triggering the effect like Terry does on alot of U2's effects.

They should just have back up singers like they used for Synchronicity. I guess they would have to pay them though and those three want as much money as possible! :wink:

Allegra said:
I wish you could report on Fiction Plane. I have to see them here in Dallas, and I want to know how they are.

I'm having difficulty typing up what I am trying to say...

I liked them but I really think they need to play to a younger crowd ~ not a bunch of 40/50ish adults re-living the late 70s/early 80s.

Joe Sumner is quite charismatic and reminds me of his father ~ especially on the screaming high notes.

Joe plays the bass ~ like his dad.

Joe spoke to the crowd ~ I liked that :up:

There were 4 songs I really liked but I'm not familiar enough with their music to know what the titles are.

One of the people we were sitting next to said they were going to be on Jimmy Kimmel next month.

I hope this helps

Blue Room said:

I agree about Stewart. Watching him hammer away back there is worth the price of admission and one of the primary things I'm looking forward to seeing on this tour. The Police were the first concert I ever went to back in 1983 and Stewart's playing is what I remembered the most from that show. He attacks the drums! :)

I saw them in 1983 as well, but I don't remember Stewart using two drum kits like he is for this tour.

Back
Top Bottom