The Police Tour '07 - Part 3 - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 06:48 AM
There was a 3-4,000 difference in attendance numbers for the Different Boston shows in the same venue because of rear stage ticket sold.

What gets me about Edmonton, even if you ignore the 20,000 balcony, is that ushers were walking around and handing out vouchers for ticket upgrades. That is unheard of for a "sold out" show. Did the promoters plan that all along.

I also like how one of the shows cited as "not sold out" in the boxscore was about 0.5% away from selling all tickets.
__________________

__________________
U2FanPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #557
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
So basically you sell every ticket that you sell, even if its 3,865 tix at Giants Stadium, but since all the tickets you sold were sold, therefore its a sell-out.
Okay, I'm sold.
Finally, you understand. Thats how the industry has been doing it for over 30 years now.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #558
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Not fuzzy math. The promoter selects the number of tickets they want to put on sale, and if all of them are sold then it is listed as a sellout.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #559
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gvox


I'm jumping in late here so maybe I've missed alot...

but I don't think it's all that hard to understand. If a lower bowl and floors combined hold 10,000 people and 10,000 tickets are sold, what will happen to me if I go to the counter and try to buy the 10,001st ticket? I'll get told, sorry, we're "sold out", right?
If the promoter does not release any of the tickets for the second level to be sold, then you would be told there are no tickets available. But what the promoter might do in this case, depending on how fast the previous tickets sold or were selling is release a small number of tickets on the second level, say maybe as little as 50 or 100, a number that the promoter was confident he could sell with what ever time was remaining or over a period of days. In that case you would be able to buy more tickets.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #560
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
But the rub is that the numbers are being determined post fact...Fogel sees that the show in Edmonton sells at 50% of capacity and determines 3 weeks after the show that the upper level was not part of the capacity for this concert.


SOLD OUT
If the numbers were being determined post show time, then every show would be listed as a sellout, but as I have tried to show you, that is not the case.

Look at the following shows:


September 11, 2007
Hamburg, Germany
AOL ARENA
Capacity: 34,596
Attendance: 29,150
Gross: $3,191,128
Average Ticket Price: $109.47

September 13, 14, 2007
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam Arena
Capacity: 93,790
Attendance: 93,211
Gross: $10,216,228
Average Ticket Price: $109.60


If the numbers were being determined "post fact", I think you mean post-show, then the above two shows in Amsterdam, and the show in Hamburg would have been easily listed as soldout at 29,150 for Hamburg, and 93,211 for Amsterdam. But as I've already attempted to explain to you, that is not how it works. Its based on the tickets the promoter releases for sell, and how many of those tickets are actually sold.

Tickets for the second level were never released in Edmonton. Not a single ticket. If you went on ticketmaster a the day the show was put on sale or the day of the show, it was impossible to buy a ticket in the second level of the stadium. The show got listed as a sellout because every ticket that the promoter released for sell, was actually sold. Sellout in the industry does not mean the selling of every potential physical seat in the venue.



Quote:
Currently at the show I cited at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield MA, all sections are available for sale, covered pavilion, uncovered pavilion and lawn. I just punched up 50 reserved seats together yet again as well as 50 lawn seats (TM won't let me try and buy any more, but I bet if possible I could buy a few thousand lawn seats). So the show is currently operating with the full 19,900 capacity...however in August the numbers will be presented by Arthur Strongbow Fogel thusly I predict:
Again, just because you can buy tickets in every available section of the venue does not mean that all the tickets have been released for sell. Even shows that initially sellout, have large bundles of tickets that are released at later dates for sale.

Sometimes the promoter will skip every other row initially in a covered pavilion when releasing tickets for sale. As of right now for the Tweeter Center Mansfield MA show, probably only a limited number of tickets for the lawn have been released for sale, consistent with how sales have been going since the initial on sale date. Just being able to buy up to 50 tickets in the Pavillion or on the lawn does not tell you how many tickets have been released for sale.


The capacity at show time might be 8,500 or 10,000 or 14,000, it depends on how many tickets are released for sell. Whether the show is listed as a sellout or not is dependent on whether each ticket that is released for sell is sold or not. Thats how Van Halen, Dave Matthews Band, Metallica, Coldplay, U2 and every artist in the industry for over the past 30 years has had their results reported.

U2 played Foxborough Stadium on the ZOO TV tour. They played 3 shows there to 148,000 people. Because all three shows sold all of the tickets put on sale, they were all listed as sellouts. But the Rolling Stones in 1989 had played the same venue 3 times as well soldout all three shows at a capacity of 163,000. In 1997, on POPMART, U2 played the same venue twice and soldout at a capacity of 94,000 for two shows. All of these shows with different attendence levels were listed as soldout, because all of the tickets the promoter had put on sale for the show were sold, not because each potential physical seat in the venue was sold.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,486
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow




Again, just because you can buy tickets in every available section of the venue does not mean that all the tickets have been released for sell. Even shows that initially sellout, have large bundles of tickets that are released at later dates for sale.

Sometimes the promoter will skip every other row initially in a covered pavilion when releasing tickets for sale. As of right now for the Tweeter Center Mansfield MA show, probably only a limited number of tickets for the lawn have been released for sale, consistent with how sales have been going since the initial on sale date. Just being able to buy up to 50 tickets in the Pavillion or on the lawn does not tell you how many tickets have been released for sale.


The capacity at show time might be 8,500 or 10,000 or 14,000, it depends on how many tickets are released for sell. Whether the show is listed as a sellout or not is dependent on whether each ticket that is released for sell is sold or not. Thats how Van Halen, Dave Matthews Band, Metallica, Coldplay, U2 and every artist in the industry for over the past 30 years has had their results reported.
Lets stop with the bullshitting...you and I both know that if there is enough demand, then all 19,900 tickets are up for sale...so these lower capacities you keep bringing up is just the promoter trying to make his percentages look better. The demand is not there this time in the Boston market because the Police played 3 shows last year and the prices are still high...they have flooded the market and the shed is gonna be probably around half capacity no matter what spin you and Fogel decide to put on things.

Quote:
U2 played Foxborough Stadium on the ZOO TV tour. They played 3 shows there to 148,000 people. Because all three shows sold all of the tickets put on sale, they were all listed as sellouts. But the Rolling Stones in 1989 had played the same venue 3 times as well soldout all three shows at a capacity of 163,000. In 1997, on POPMART, U2 played the same venue twice and soldout at a capacity of 94,000 for two shows. All of these shows with different attendence levels were listed as soldout, because all of the tickets the promoter had put on sale for the show were sold, not because each potential physical seat in the venue was sold.
And c'mon...I'm not stupid...this is as apples and oranges as you can get with the Police at Tweeter comparison. The Foxborough shows are varying capacities because of the staging involved and how many sections get blocked by the stage and are unavailable for sale...the ZooTV setup took up more space than the Stones' 1989 set up, ergo the stones had more available seats to sell...no other reason. However in a fixed stage amphitheater like the Tweeter Center, the staging does not affect capacity. The capacity is 19,900...and The Police (Fogel) only booked the show hoping to sell out or come close to selling out those 19,900 tix...and I really look forward to the numbers.
__________________
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #562
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
There was a 3-4,000 difference in attendance numbers for the Different Boston shows in the same venue because of rear stage ticket sold.

What gets me about Edmonton, even if you ignore the 20,000 balcony, is that ushers were walking around and handing out vouchers for ticket upgrades. That is unheard of for a "sold out" show. Did the promoters plan that all along.

I also like how one of the shows cited as "not sold out" in the boxscore was about 0.5% away from selling all tickets.
There is differences in every venue used for concerts in Boston. Dave Matthews Band has soldout the Tweeter Center near Boston at different capacities over the past several years.

Repostioning of people at any show can happen when there are still physical seats available. The fact remains though that every ticket released for sale in Edmonton was in fact sold. None of the tickets on the 2nd level were released for sale, and not all of the tickets on the first level or the floor level were released for sell either, all though most were.




Quote:
I also like how one of the shows cited as "not sold out" in the boxscore was about 0.5% away from selling all tickets.
Selling all the tickets released! Amsterdam Arena has a maximum physical capacity for 110,000 people for two shows, but the promoter by show time had only released 93,790 tickets for sale, and had sold 93,211 of that number.

You can find differences in U2's listed capacities for various stadiums on the Joshua Tree Tour, ZOO TV and POPMART tours. The differences come from the promoters releasing different amounts of tickets at those times based on how tickets were selling. U2 sold all 54,000 tickets put on sale for Mile High Stadium in Denver CO. in 1992, but only sold 28,000 of 45,000 tickets released at the same venue in 1997.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #563
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
pepokiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 7,973
Local Time: 02:48 AM
wait... this' still running?

Sting, go home
__________________
pepokiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #564
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Lets stop with the bullshitting...you and I both know that if there is enough demand, then all 19,900 tickets are up for sale...so these lower capacities you keep bringing up is just the promoter trying to make his percentages look better. The demand is not there this time in the Boston market because the Police played 3 shows last year and the prices are still high...they have flooded the market and the shed is gonna be probably around half capacity no matter what spin you and Fogel decide to put on things.

I've only been attempting to explain to you how the industry system of "sellout" works. Most artist are unable even for one show to sellout all 20,000 or 30,000 seats at a particular venue which is why the promoter only releases an amount of tickets he thinks the artist has a good chance of selling.





Quote:
And c'mon...I'm not stupid...this is as apples and oranges as you can get with the Police at Tweeter comparison. The Foxborough shows are varying capacities because of the staging involved and how many sections get blocked by the stage and are unavailable for sale...the ZooTV setup took up more space than the Stones' 1989 set up, ergo the stones had more available seats to sell...no other reason. However in a fixed stage amphitheater like the Tweeter Center, the staging does not affect capacity. The capacity is 19,900...and The Police (Fogel) only booked the show hoping to sell out or come close to selling out those 19,900 tix...and I really look forward to the numbers.
Stadiums can have varying listed capacities for the same reason that the Tweeter Center does for various artist.

Take ZOO TV at Mile High Stadium 1992 VS. POPMART at Mile High Stadium in 1997.

ZOO TV at Mile High Stadium soldout at a capacity of 54,000. POPMART at Mile High Stadium sold 28,000 tickets out of the 45,000 listed as the capacity.

Its the same venue, and the reason that only 45,000 tickets were put on sale for POPMART was NOT because the POPMART stage knocked out 9,000 tickets. It case you did not know, the ZOO TV stage had speaker stacks along the sides of the stage which produced more "seat kills" in the stands, while with the POPMART stage this was reduced to a minimum by hanging all the speaker stacks above the middle of the stage leaving the sides completely open.

Yet, the listed capacity for POPMART at Mile High Stadium was 9,000 less than the listed capacity of ZOO TV at Mile High Stadium.

The reason is that the promoter only released 45,000 tickets for the POPMART show of which 28,000 were sold. The Promoter had initially believed that the 45,000 figure was a safe figure that U2 would likely be able to sell, but they came up way short that time. Had U2 been able to sellout all the 45,000 tickets within the first day, week or month, the promoter would have released more tickets for sale up to potentially the maximum 55,000 to 60,000 true physical capacity of Mile High Stadium for a stadium concert.

The size of the staging and lighting certainly impact capacity to some degree, but the biggest factor is how many tickets the promoter decides to release for sale based on how many tickets he thinks the artist will be able to sell. If the demand is going to be way below the potential physical capacity of the venue, then the show may be cancelled or be booked into a smaller venue.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #565
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
But what the promoter might do in this case, depending on how fast the previous tickets sold or were selling is release a small number of tickets on the second level, say maybe as little as 50 or 100, a number that the promoter was confident he could sell with what ever time was remaining or over a period of days. In that case you would be able to buy more tickets.
And thusly decide to open up that second level for those 50-100 people? I don't buy it.

I'm going to exit gracefully here. I saw Police 3 in Toronto and the final show. At the 3rd show it was pretty much full, with some empty seats up top. For the last show, they curtained off the upper deck and everyone got seat upgrades. Must've been nice for those who didn't pay for lower deck, to get lower deck! THat isn't a case of Fogel only releasing n number of tickets and selling them out, that is a case of him releasing n number of tickets and only selling n / 2 tickets....and from what I hear it was like that all tour...scalpers took a huge beating on that leg, from what I recall..


Both shows were great though. OVer and out.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #566
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
But the rub is that the numbers are being determined post fact...Fogel sees that the show in Edmonton sells at 50% of capacity and determines 3 weeks after the show that the upper level was not part of the capacity for this concert.

SOLD OUT
Yeah I see your point and I tend to agree. I saw it myself in Toronto.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #567
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gvox


And thusly decide to open up that second level for those 50-100 people? I don't buy it.

I was just at a theater show where that was essentially the case. The upper decks of the theater only had the first two rows in each released for sale. You couldn't buy row 10 seat 9 on the third level even though no one was sitting there.


Quote:
THat isn't a case of Fogel only releasing n number of tickets and selling them out, that is a case of him releasing n number of tickets and only selling n / 2 tickets....and from what I hear it was like that all tour...scalpers took a huge beating on that leg, from what I recall..
It is, because that is how the industry has functioned for over 30 years now. Promoters only release the "FULL HOUSE" or full physical capacity of the venue for sale if they are confident that the artist can easily sell all the tickets.

With your logic, the U2 figures for POPMART 1997 at Mile High Stadium would have been 28,000 attendance and 55,000 to 60,000 capacity. But that was not the case, the capacity was only listed at 45,000 because that is the number of tickets the promoter released to be sold.

The promoter knows once tickets go on sale how much is being sold and can estimate what will be sold in the coming days and weeks. This allows the promoter to gauge the release of tickets properly to increase the probability of a sellout, a sellout in this case being the industry standard of selling all tickets that are released, NOT the sell of every potential physical seat in the venue. But, even when this is done, sometimes the promoter does not sell every ticket which is why the Amsterdam shows and the Hamburg Germany show were not listed as sellouts.

How scalpers did or how much of the real physical capacity of the venue was sold is not the issue. Yes, the 2nd leg in the United States had smaller demand, obviously after the first big leg in the summer, and this coming 3rd leg has even less demand as well. But that has nothing to do with how the industry determines what constitutes sellouts and how capacity levels are listed in the weekly boxscore charts reported by Billboard Magazine and Billboard.com.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #568
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gvox


Yeah I see your point and I tend to agree. I saw it myself in Toronto.
The problem with his point is that the 2nd level of Edmonton Stadium was never released for sale to the public. If you went on ticketmaster.com and attempted to buy a seat, even a single seat for that second level, it would say not tickets were available. The Promoter can release tickets at any time, and had the first day sales been double or more than expected, more tickets would have been released. But after the first day sales, the promoter could tell that it was unlikely the Police would sell enough tickets to justify opening up the second level of the stadium with so many tickets still available on the floor and first level. While most of the physical seats on the floor and first level were sold, some were not which is why the 2nd level was never released and the smaller number of tickets still being sold just days before the show with small ticket releases for seats on the floor and first level. But all tickets that the promoter released for the show were in fact sold, even though this represented only a little less than 50% of the full potential physical capacity of the venue.
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #569
War Child
 
Ifeelnumb84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 734
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Hmm....wonder where this will take place...I bet Shea Stadium.
http://thepolice.com/news/news.php?uid=5695
__________________
Ifeelnumb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #570
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Pop Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 4,999
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ifeelnumb84
Hmm....wonder where this will take place...I bet Shea Stadium.
http://thepolice.com/news/news.php?uid=5695
That makes me VERY glad now that I took a pass on Jones Beach...was very tempted because it did seem to be the last show ever (although not promoted as such) and was staying that way. May pop for this one depending on how much tix are... Would be fitting as I first saw The Police at Shea Stadium in 1983.
__________________

__________________
Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the police

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com