The Police Tour '07 - Part 3 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #466
Refugee

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
04-03-84 - Melbourne Showgrounds

The Police
Bryan Adams
Australian Crawl
Sunnyboys
Kids in the Kitchen

How is that not a festival bill?

It was also only 2nd of 2 Australian Police shows, and the final performance of the Syncronicity tour(later known as the last full show until 2007)

They likely did 100,000 for those 2 shows. Compare that to 180,000 that KISS did in 3 weeks or equal number The Beatles did in 1964.

u2fp
Festivals consist of popular artist, Bryan Adams, billed second to the Police had yet to chart any of his albums or singles at the time of the show. U2 had 5 bands on the bill the first time they played the Milton Keynes Bowl in England but few people refered to it as a festival if any. Again, its NOT THE NUMBER OF BANDS ON THE BILL BUT HOW POPULAR THE BANDS ON THE BILL ARE!

The Police played to more people at the Melbourne concert in March 1984 than any other foreign artist in history, in Australia, at that time. I don't care what Kiss was able to do in 3 weeks, or what the Beatles did in 1964. The Police were wrapping up the Synchronicity Tour and the goal was not to break some ALLEGED record or total brought up by some U2 fan on a message board 24 years later.

In any event, I don't find 180,000 in 3 weeks for anyone any where to be really that unusually impressive. U2 just did more than that in 3 days in Sydney. Hell, the Police did nearly that in two days in Paris in 2007!

But please, in terms of numbers RELEVANT to this thread, these are the only numbers you should have in your mind:

THE POLICE TOUR 2007 TOTALS WORLDWIDE TO DATE:
GROSS: $236,071,567
ATTENDANCE: 2,140,756
SHOWS: 78
SELLOUTS: 75
SHOWS PLAYED BUT NOT REPORTED YET: 3

The Police tour is already the 6th highest grossing tour in the history of the planet with 8 months of touring still to go!

The numbers speak for themselves. No fantasy, no generalizations, no photographs where one tries to explain crowd size ala like Big Foot or Nessie photos, just the facts in a thread about a tour that is still on going.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #467
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
The Police played to more people at the Melbourne concert in March 1984 than any other foreign artist in history, in Australia, at that time.
Paul Dainty says otherwise, from promotional advert he provided for a Fleetwood Mac related show in 1977.

Email his office for a 1977 audience figure.

The 1984 Australian single show record held by The Police only stands if it's connected to 2 conditions:
-It's an foreign headliner
-The headliner is the only act on the bill that has played a larger venue than theater in Australia

u2fp

Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Well, that was time lost you coulda been spending trying to get a root....
Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #469
Refugee

Quote:

Paul Dainty says otherwise, from promotional advert he provided for a Fleetwood Mac related show in 1977.

Email his office for a 1977 audience figure.

The 1984 Australian single show record held by The Police only stands if it's connected to 2 conditions:
-It's an foreign headliner
-The headliner is the only act on the bill that has played a larger venue than theater in Australia

u2fp
Do you have anything to say about the current Police tour, or are you going to continue to hunt for Big Foot for another 10 pages?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #470
45:33

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Well, that was time lost you coulda been spending trying to get a root....
Quote:
Jeez Louise, I came in here looking for reviews of the concerts in Australia and all I've seen for about 7 pages is nitpicking over numbers. Are either of you in Australia? Have either of you seen the Police in Australia? If not, might I suggest you desist from your nitpicking and start talking about the MUSIC? Just a suggestion, mates?
Quote:
Does anyone else care about how many people saw them and how much they grossed?

Nope.
Nope.
Nope.

Thank you But they won't listen...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Why is the biggest tour of the year have almost no discussion of the musical merits of the group and why are some Police related websites(including stingus.net) forums surprisingly vacant?

It's remarkably unparalleled in showbiz past or present.

That is one mystery I'm still currently trying to get to unravel about the Police 07-08 tour.

u2fp
Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:

It suggest that the "Little River Band" may have had chart and album success in Australia back when they played with Fleetwood Mac in 1977 that would have drawn people to the show. I was searching the 1983 Australian charts and could not find Bryan Adams charting at all. Bryan Adams opened for the Police in Australia in March 1984, but it appears he was essentially unknown to most Australians at that time. I was surprised though to come across the "Little River Band" in that search.
Oh its clear now, you saw Little River Band on the 1983 Aussie charts and therefore claimed that they helped Fleetwood Mac sell tix in 1977. Can't beat that sound logic.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #473
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Oh its clear now, you saw Little River Band on the 1983 Aussie charts and therefore claimed that they helped Fleetwood Mac sell tix in 1977. Can't beat that sound logic.
I was not expecting them to have been on the charts at all, and suggested that they MIGHT have had a chart run in 1977 and before that as well. Do you understand? Is that out of the realm of possiblity? I don't think so.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #474
Refugee

Quote:

Why is the biggest tour of the year have almost no discussion of the musical merits of the group and why are some Police related websites(including stingus.net) forums surprisingly vacant?

It's remarkably unparalleled in showbiz past or present.

That is one mystery I'm still currently trying to get to unravel about the Police 07-08 tour.

u2fp
There have been thousands of newspaper articles all across the world about the tour about the band, the reunion, the surprise, and yes the bands history and musical merits which have already been acknowledged for the past 25 years. You would have to be living on another planet not to know this.

Just like unscientific polls on websites, some random judgment of traffic on a few websites would tell you virtually nothing, the same with U2. The Police do have a much older fan base, primarily in their 40s if were talking about the fans that activelly supported them in the early 80s.

A more interesting mystery is why all of your comments in a Police thread about the band tend to express something that could only be viewed as negative. There is a term for that on this message board.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

Thank you But they won't listen...
So, D, what's the weather like where you are?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #476
She's the One

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Of the two discs in the Police Live! album, I think the second disc is better. They were better musicians by then, and had a wider selection of material.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #477
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Of the two discs in the Police Live! album, I think the second disc is better. They were better musicians by then, and had a wider selection of material.
The second disc is slicker and more polished, but the first disk has some very interesting performances from a purely three piece band, no back up singers or sequencers. But that Boston 1979 show was no where near to being the best show on the Regatta De Blanc tour. I think the band were at their best live on the Zenyatta Mondatta tour both in terms of performance, sound mix, style, and tempo. But, no Zenyatta Mondatta tour material showed up on the official live album. Like U2, the Police have plenty of boots available over the Net of just about any show you can think of.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #478
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:59 PM
I probably prefer the second disc overall, but it has the annoying Demolition Man, which gives me the irrits.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:

I was not expecting them to have been on the charts at all, and suggested that they MIGHT have had a chart run in 1977 and before that as well. Do you understand? Is that out of the realm of possiblity? I don't think so.
So when it suits your argument, speculation is fine, but if others speculate, you tell them the only things that matter are cold hard figures.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Quote:
I think its better to compare data that is known or precise boxscore data, than to over generalize and endlessly guess at what was or could have been or what this photograph tells you etc etc.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #480
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
So when it suits your argument, speculation is fine, but if others speculate, you tell them the only things that matter are cold hard figures.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

I'm not the one who started this speculation and I certainly do think its better to have factual statistics, so I don't see any contradiction there. But hey, if you want me to go look up the Australian top 20 album and single charts from the mid to late 1970s to see where the Little River Band placed if at all, I'll do that when I get the chance.

But you must worship speculation. After all, your the one that claimed the Police had made a mistake in booking stadiums based on the results of the initial sell of tickets for Fenway Park. Its obvious this fact must irritate you, but the Police Reunion Tour of 2007-2008 is already the 6th most successful tour of all time and will likely have the #2 spot once it finishes in August leaving all your prior erroneous speculations on the success of the tour in the dust.

Do you have anything positive to say about the Police? If not, perhaps you should take your trolling somewhere else.

Oh, and when comes to eating things, perhaps you should chew on this:

Tags
the police