The Police Tour '07 - Part 3 - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #451
Refugee

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter

IIRC, U2 have screens at nearly every US stadium show in 1987. The only exeptions I can think of are possibly Vancouver and the $5 Tempe shows that got filmed. There are print ads that had the words "screens" written quite prominently.

Did the Police have 350,000 fans greet them outside their hotel when they arrived on the continent?

u2fp
Several of the Joshua Tree stadium shows I have on video don't have any video screens.

I doubt there were 350,000 people outside the Beatles Hotel when they arrived. There is no way one could accurately caculate that total in any event as people are not paying to stand outside the hotel, so its another questionable and meaningless statistic that just leads to a discussion of basically nothing. Try sticking with things we actually know like tour dates, venue capacities, and actual confirmed attendance figures.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #452
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
Several of the Joshua Tree stadium shows I have on video don't have any video screens.

The screen was located at the rear of the soundboard, so it's not visible in many/most US audience shot videos. Those 30% of the audience nearest the stage could not see the screens, only those with poorer sightlines/nosebleed seats.

Quote:
I doubt there were 350,000 people outside the Beatles Hotel when they arrived. There is no way one could accurately caculate that total in any event as people are not paying to stand outside the hotel, so its another questionable and meaningless statistic that just leads to a discussion of basically nothing. Try sticking with things we actually know like tour dates, venue capacities, and actual confirmed attendance figures.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #453
Refugee

Quote:

The screen was located at the rear of the soundboard, so it's not visible in many/most US audience shot videos. Those 30% of the audience nearest the stage could not see the screens, only those with poorer sightlines/nosebleed seats.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #454
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Did the Beatles ever play a single show(where people purchased tickets) in Australia as large as the Police performance in Melbourne in 1984? The answer to that question is no.

Countdown stated that the Police performance was the largest performance by a foreign artist in the history of Australia and you have yet to provide anything to disprove that statement.

I'm sure will have some more actual Police figures coming into the Billboard Boxscore chart in the coming weeks in regards to the current tour which is what this thread is actually about.
Did Stadium PA technology even exist in Australia in 1964?

Yes, the Police may have some attendance record for ONE concert, with less than 2 acts that did not come from Australia.

There is enough proof to show a Fleetwood Mac centric bill in 1977 drew about the same amount of people - without video screens. The other groups would otherwise play theater type sized venues in OZ.

Who had the biggest ever show with the homegrown act? It wasn't ACDC and I found nothing for S.N.Fever era Bee Gees. Olivia?

Since this thread is going in circles it would probably be more interesting to put all complete Austalian audience tour numbers side by side for comparison.

Fleetwood Mac 77
KISS
STONES 73/90s?/00s?
Bowie 78/83
Police 84/08
Dire Straits 85
Jacko 88
Springsteen 85/03
U2 89/93/97/06

u2fp
Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
By the way, although Bryan Adams did not chart in 1983 in Australia, the "Little River Band" did. It seems that the "Little River Band" may have had a strong fan base in Australia as well when Fleetwood Mac played with them and Santana.
So how could Little River band have had an effect on ticket sales if we believe this piece of info:
Quote:

Selling lots of albums does not necessarily translate to large concert ticket sales, especially when the artist is only on their first or second commercially successful album.
?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #456
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Here's a cool compilation of the Anaheim show. Amazing bootleg job.

http://blip.tv/file/629375?filename=...ifornia593.flv
Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
The Billboard review was of a show in Philadelphia, not Melbourne Australia. I'm sure its a good estimate and maybe even an actual figure for the Philadelphia show, but it has nothing to do with any of the shows Fleetwood Mac played at in Australia.
When the popularity of a band is pretty much the same throughout the world, you'll find that those estimates hold true for anywhere they played.

Kind of like U2 on the Vertigo tour. That tour was certainly consistent no matter where they played.

Quote:

Don't know, and don't at all see how that would be relevant.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #458
Refugee

Quote:

Yes, the Police may have some attendance record for ONE concert, with less than 2 acts that did not come from Australia.

I think you could have admitted that four pages ago.

Australia is not always toured by artist and it can be difficult to compare shows and tours from different decades. More importantly, precise Billboard Boxscore information only exists consistently for area's outside North America from 1995 onwards. I think its better to compare data that is known or precise boxscore data, than to over generalize and endlessly guess at what was or could have been or what this photograph tells you etc etc.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #459
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson

So how could Little River band have had an effect on ticket sales if we believe this piece of info:

?
It suggest that the "Little River Band" may have had chart and album success in Australia back when they played with Fleetwood Mac in 1977 that would have drawn people to the show. I was searching the 1983 Australian charts and could not find Bryan Adams charting at all. Bryan Adams opened for the Police in Australia in March 1984, but it appears he was essentially unknown to most Australians at that time. I was surprised though to come across the "Little River Band" in that search.

The biggest album sellers are often very different from the biggest concert ticket sellers. A look at 2007's top 10 albums and top 10 concert tours could easily make that point.

But just look some of this decades biggest album sellers, like M&M, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Nickleback, Norah Jones, Evanescence, The Black Eyed Peas, Nelly, Outkast, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Mariah Carey, 50 Cent, Usher, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, Avril Lavigne, Alicia Keys, Dixie Chicks etc.

All of those artist have some of the biggest selling albums of this decade. Most have multiple multi-platinum albums. But most of them struggle to fill arena's, or are better suited for theaters. None of them can play stadiums anywhere on their own with possibly one or two exceptions. Coldplay did smaller stadiums in the UK, but are not even close to approaching that outside the UK. This decade has not produced any stadium acts, and the 1990s only had Pearl Jam at that level for a while and the Dave Matthews Band at that level but only in the United States. Yet, all of these artist have sold massive sums of albums, more than enough to justify an Arena tour with multiple shows in each market or Stadiums in all markets, yet none of them can do that consistently around the world.

So that is essentially what I was talking about when I said that selling massive numbers of albums does not necessarily translate into strong concert ticket sales, especially when the artist is on their first or second commercially successful album.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #460
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

When the popularity of a band is pretty much the same throughout the world, you'll find that those estimates hold true for anywhere they played.

Kind of like U2 on the Vertigo tour. That tour was certainly consistent no matter where they played.

Actually the majority of artist experience different levels of success throughout the world, especially when it comes to selling concert tickets. Only artist that are unusually popular like U2 experience roughly equal levels of success everywhere throughout the world. Fleetwood Mac was not at that level worldwide in 1977 as shown by the different types of venues they played in Europe and North America. In fact, just prior to Rumours, Fleetwood Mac was only playing in small theaters unless they were opening for a big artist or at least on the same bill as another multiple other artist like a festival. Even on their Rumours tour they were still playing with other big artst on the same bill and in fact were only a co-headlining act at some of the biggest shows they played at in 1977. Thats not surprising at all given that three years earlier, few people knew who Fleetwood Mac were.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #461
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

04-03-84 - Melbourne Showgrounds

The Police
Bryan Adams
Australian Crawl
Sunnyboys
Kids in the Kitchen

How is that not a festival bill?

It was also only 2nd of 2 Australian Police shows, and the final performance of the Syncronicity tour(later known as the last full show until 2007)

They likely did 100,000 for those 2 shows. Compare that to 180,000 that KISS did in 3 weeks or equal number The Beatles did in 1964.

u2fp
Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #462
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Jeez Louise, I came in here looking for reviews of the concerts in Australia and all I've seen for about 7 pages is nitpicking over numbers. Are either of you in Australia? Have either of you seen the Police in Australia? If not, might I suggest you desist from your nitpicking and start talking about the MUSIC? Just a suggestion, mates?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #463
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Jeez Louise, I came in here looking for reviews of the concerts in Australia and all I've seen for about 7 pages is nitpicking over numbers. Are either of you in Australia? Have either of you seen the Police in Australia? If not, might I suggest you desist from your nitpicking and start talking about the MUSIC? Just a suggestion, mates?
Is there new Police music?
New Police DVD?
New Police Setlist?
Rescheduled Police Unplugged?
New boxset of the mountains of vintage Police live/studio music fans are clamouring to hear?
New DVD of the mountains of vintage Police footage that exists? A new Stewart Copeland blog/forum posting?

Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.

u2fp
Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #464
She's the One

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Does anyone else care about how many people saw them and how much they grossed?

Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #465
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:

Is there new Police music?
New Police DVD?
New Police Setlist?
Rescheduled Police Unplugged?
New boxset of the mountains of vintage Police live/studio music fans are clamouring to hear?
New DVD of the mountains of vintage Police footage that exists? A new Stewart Copeland blog/forum posting?

Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.

u2fp
They're in the middle of a tour in Australia? Australia doesn't count, obviously!

Tags
the police