The Police Tour '07 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:
There's 4 different videoclips from the outdoor rehearsal on youtube.

I heard some of the GM rehearsals tonight. Sting's singing sounds absolutely fabulous - he was hitting notes I thought he wouldn't even dare try on this tour, let alone a rehearsal. Everything sounded very casual and comfortable. One guard told me they were playing off and on from mid-afternoon untilearly evening. Sorry, can't offer any song titles.

I think they may take saturday off, with a slight possibility of a cameo at the local Fiction Plane Club show. Then on sunday it's full steam ahead with the dress rehearsal fan-only show. Tour openers are Monday and Wednesday.

I did get a small idea as to the light show. Lots of white light to bathe the audience. There's also a rotating Red/Blue/Yellow(think synchro album cover) that will be covering the audience. There are screens for the indoor show.

I also got to see the tour program that an tour employee was showing people outside the building. Looked nice, lots of vintage photos and about 20% ads!!!! Mostly ads for Police fanclub, stu's drumsticks and Sting 'n Trudi's swingers club.

To the 3 people actually reading this thread, hello!!!

u2fp

Thanks for the local round up!

And yes, I'm still here. Just mostly reading is all.

I'm sure this thread will kick into high gear in a day or two. :wink:

NEWS!!!

Reunited Police thrive on tension

By Dean Goodman

Fri May 25, 6:21 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The members of reunited rock band the Police are at war with each other -- and they couldn't be having more fun.

Days before the group begin a first world tour in Canada, drummer Stewart Copeland says he, singer/bassist Sting and guitarist Andy Summers are thriving on the creative tension that tore them apart more than 20 years ago.

"It's not the most comfortable place in the world being in the Police," Copeland, 54, told Reuters on Friday. "It's a bed of roses, all right, including the thorns."

The band are currently in Vancouver, gearing up for the tour's official launch on Monday at BC Place Stadium.

Rehearsals for the tour have been underway since March, with much of the work taking place at Sting's country estate in Italy. After more than two decades apart, it was not long before the threesome settled into their pleasantly prickly groove.

"We play nicely for two or three days, and then we start to get on each others' nerves, then have a screaming match, and then we hug and kiss, and then we play even better," Copeland said.

The fights never get personal. They simply stem from the desire of three people with strong personalities to sell their musical ideas to each other, Copeland says.

Copeland remains one of Sting's biggest fans, even if he and Summers were not thrilled that Sting broke the band up in order to pursue a solo career.

Copeland went on to compose for movies and television, while Summers explored his jazz roots. Sting became even more rich and famous, solidifying his role as the first among equals.

"In this band we are both blessed and cursed that we have within the three of us an 800-pound gorilla," Copeland joked. "He takes a lot of feeding, but he earns his keep."

The band is a democratic outfit, and the revenues will be split equally three ways, to Copeland's surprise.

"Sting could have raped us. He chose not to," Copeland said. "I hear these stories about the way other groups are structured and I shake my head in admiration at my buddy."

With tickets for the North American leg topping $225 each (113 pounds), there will be plenty of money to go around, even with the huge expenses involved in organizing such an undertaking. But Copeland won't blow his loot on mansions and fast cars.

"I have one house (in Los Angeles), I drive a Jeep Cherokee," he said. "I live very simply."

I heard a rumour earlier today from a POLICE fan club member that only about 2,000 tickets have actually been sold for the "dress rehearsal" show tomorrow. Initially they capped it at 8,000(ie: no seats available in the balcony or rear stage)

That's going to look awfully empty.....

Fiction Plane should be onstage right now for their club show. There was slim chance of a cameo, but I do doubt that Stu/Andy/Sting would show up, let alone play.

^I read that radio stations also gave away tickets to the FC show.

They purposely kept the seating number small and warned fan club members from the begining that it would only be floor and lower balcony seating. It's soppose to be an intiment show. I think they want to keep it small to actually talk to the people in the audience....who knows. Maybe kind of like they did at the Whisky show. But I guess we'll find out tonight what actually happens.

Wish I could be there!

Allegra said:
^I read that radio stations also gave away tickets to the FC show.

They purposely kept the seating number small and warned fan club members from the begining that it would only be floor and lower balcony seating. It's soppose to be an intiment show. I think they want to keep it small to actually talk to the people in the audience....who knows. Maybe kind of like they did at the Whisky show. But I guess we'll find out tonight what actually happens.

Wish I could be there!

I'm guessing you meant to say floor and lower bowl seating only.

I've also heard that the group themselves gave away a whack of tickets to the staff of the hotels they stayed(they did stay at the $1,500/night rooms). I don't know if it's the FC show or the Monday/Wednesday.

Fiction Plane have the day off, and there was a posting on stingus.net message board that the show would be long and experimental, setlist wise.

u2fp

Setlist from the FC show tonight!

(gong)
DON'T
VOICES / WHEN THE WORLD
SPIRITS
DRIVEN
MOON
TRUTH HITS
EVERY LITTLE THING
(gong)
WRAPPED
BED'S
MURDER
DE DO
INVISIBLE SUN
FOOTSTEPS
CAN'T
ROXANNE
KING
SO LONELY
BREATH
NEXT TO YOU

It was really good. I'm still thinking about if I want to go to Monday AND Wednesday.

I'm not an FC member but was able to scam a ticket out fron for CDN$100. It wasn't an easy ticket, but wasn't that impossible. Only about 2-3,000 people in the audience. Basically, everyone squished into "between the blue lines"(think hockey game) in the lower bowl and on the floor.

REM were spotter a couple rows up from Andy and lawrence Fishburn was in the first 10 rows. Bono has apparently been spotted at the airport and in town. No spotting at the show. It also seems every family member of of the band was in attendance.

More coming in a few minutes.....

Allegra said:
Setlist from the FC show tonight!

(gong)
DON'T
VOICES / WHEN THE WORLD
SPIRITS
DRIVEN
MOON
TRUTH HITS
EVERY LITTLE THING
(gong)
WRAPPED
BED'S
MURDER
DE DO
INVISIBLE SUN
FOOTSTEPS
CAN'T
ROXANNE
KING
SO LONELY
BREATH
NEXT TO YOU

All three cames out for about 2 minutes and just talked about what the evening had instore, then left until the show began.

Stu comes out by himself and crashes a gong, then the band appear and kick right into Bottle.

The show didn't really kick into gear until WORLD.

All 3 sound really good and up to do the whole tour. The group still needs to find the pacing of the show, as does the lighting crew.

MAGIC is an altered arangement, some of which can be heard in one outdoor video clip. MOON(i think) had Stew playing weird triange and other goodies hiding behind his drum kick.

The entire show is just the 3 of them with discreet use of tape loops on a couple songs. No horns or backups.

There were 3 giant screens above the stage. Used on most songs with one member on each. They did switch it up if one took a solo.

The stage featured in the outdoor clip is the same one used indoors. The outdoor stage would add the roof, scafolding, maybe more screens etc.

ROXANNE sounded like the Grammys, but the middle improv section was extended for several minutes.

LONELY had a killer solo by ANDY. He does about 3 guitar solos during that show and they are really fucking cool. He my have been the weakest link at the Whiskey preview show(his last 2hr performance was in 1984), but he now knows all the guitar parts. He's only going to get better as the tour progresses.

NEXT 2U was the final song, their first single. Great idea for the set closer. I hope they change around the light show for this song

I still have more to say about interaction between band members....

u2fp

Can't wait to hear them! And So Lonely is one of my faves, so that's good to hear. I'm guessing they are pretty excited to get the show on the road :hyper:

Here's a different review off of The Police boards [Note, it's in military time].....

The tickets they released at the box office tonight were $50 each and did not require a fanclub membership? I also believe they were the best seats stage-side in sections 104 & 119 -- sections that had not been released previously?
Only sections open were 104, 105, 106, 119, 118, 117, and looked like 30 rows on the floor.

1945: intro -- all 3 walk onstage, short greeting, intimate show of 4000 tonight, ...we'll probably make some mistakes, thanks for being patient, etc., we'll be back soon to start the show...

Sting in white V neck sleeveless t-shirt that looked like it was from 1983, with all the little holes all over it from being washed/worn so many times over the years. Sting also in black jeans & lace up black ankle boots & necklace of black string with what looked like a surfboard hanging on it? Stewart in black headband, wire rim glasses, black short sleeve shirt with red on sleeves & black pants. Andy in longsleeve white shirt untucked with black on shoulders & cuffs, black pants.

START:
1948: Message in a Bottle
1954: Synchronicity II
2000: Don't Stand So Close to Me
2005: Voices / When the World is Running Down
2012: Spirits in the Material World
2016: Driven to Tears
2021: Walking on the Moon
2028: Truth Hits Everybody
2032: Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
2037: GONG -- Wrapped Around Your Finger
2044: Bed's Too Big Without You
2049: Murder By Numbers
2055: De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
2100: Invisible Sun
2105: Walking in Your Footsteps
2110: I Can't Stand Losing You
2116: Roxanne
2123: **GOODNIGHT**
Stings comes back in long sleeve open black shirt showing off how fit he is (no shirt worn underneath), then:
2125: King of Pain
2131: So Lonely
2138: Every Breath You Take
2143: **THANK YOU GOODNIGHT**
2144: Next to You
2148: BOWS -- Sting particularly seemed quite emotional / happy with the response / tears in his eyes. Sting hugged Stewart and Andy.
2149: LIGHTS ON // SHOW OVER

The stage was quite open / bare. Semi-circle type shape. A runway (not used tonight - except for a quick runabout from Stewart) which went around the side & back of the stage. Sting, Stewart, Andy all stayed in their spots onstage & did not move around much at all tonight. Video screens were amazing, so sharp & clear, there were 3 screens facing the back of the arena which usually each had a band member featured on a different screen. There was also 1 screen at each side of the stage. There were some lighting effects & video clips which were also broadcast on the screens. Great sound too!!!

lol, I'm close friends with the person that posted those videos. They were in the 2nd row and is mostly a fan of just drummers, hence no footage of Sting.

Sting did go to the Fiction Plane club show saturday night. He did not appear onstage or sing, but was very visible in a roped off section of the balcony.

During FOOTSTEPS they brought up a backdrop projection screen(theatrical gauze that one can see thru, like the screens used on U2's 2001 tour) The lighting/video crew went for footage of "walking dinosaur bones"

During INVISIBLE they had footage of ongoing bombing(lebanon in the early 80's?) which could be taken as the political element of the show.

The 3 screens front stage switched(like a game of 3 card monty)between band members so that people sittingoff to one side got to see each member equally.

u2fp

fah said:
Are we going to be allowed to take photos tonight????

Security was super lax last night. Lots of people taking photo, and video clips. I actually got nearly 80 minutes of uninterupted video using 10x zoom with a camcorder I snuck in. All the security and guards were just watching the gig themselves. (No I can't share it because I'm only half-way thru the manual on how to figure out how to put the video on DVDr or uploading it online.

I Imagine it's pocket photo cameras only.

If you bring a camera, be on Bono-watch.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom