The Police Tour '07 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strongbow said:

I'm not the one who started this speculation and I certainly do think its better to have factual statistics, so I don't see any contradiction there. But hey, if you want me to go look up the Australian top 20 album and single charts from the mid to late 1970s to see where the Little River Band placed if at all, I'll do that when I get the chance.

But you must worship speculation. After all, your the one that claimed the Police had made a mistake in booking stadiums based on the results of the initial sell of tickets for Fenway Park. Its obvious this fact must irritate you, but the Police Reunion Tour of 2007-2008 is already the 6th most successful tour of all time and will likely have the #2 spot once it finishes in August leaving all your prior erroneous speculations on the success of the tour in the dust.

Do you have anything positive to say about the Police? If not, perhaps you should take your trolling somewhere else.

:wink:
Nothing about the Cops tour "irritates" me. I stand by my assesment that the Fenway shows were not as incredible high demand as the perception, based on facts I and others posted here about a glut of late tickets released into the matket, which were still available on show days. I told people not to pay outrageuos secondary prices cause tix would be readily available at face value close to show dates, and I was quite correct.
I have no issue with speculation as long as it isn't baseless (like for example a band on the charts in 1983 making them a popular draw in 1977, I guess all the fans hopped in their DeLoreans and hit 88MPH to snap up those 1977 tix), you however berate people here for speculating and say only hard numbers can be used, then you posted something as speculative as anything ever put on this or any board (again, a band charting leading to tix sales 6 years in the past!!)

And do not call me a troll. that is a direct attack, and against the rules of this message board(which in case you haven't noticed is not a Police board). Simply because I counter some of the things you post doesn't equate "trolling", its discussion. Until your very uncalled for troll comment I thought this discussion was healthy and good natured, now I see on your end thats not the case, so we're done.

Hewson said:

Nothing about the Cops tour "irritates" me. I stand by my assesment that the Fenway shows were not as incredible high demand as the perception, based on facts I and others posted here about a glut of late tickets released into the matket, which were still available on show days. I told people not to pay outrageuos secondary prices cause tix would be readily available at face value close to show dates, and I was quite correct.
I have no issue with speculation as long as it isn't baseless (like for example a band on the charts in 1983 making them a popular draw in 1977, I guess all the fans hopped in their DeLoreans and hit 88MPH to snap up those 1977 tix), you however berate people here for speculating and say only hard numbers can be used, then you posted something as speculative as anything ever put on this or any board (again, a band charting leading to tix sales 6 years in the past!!)

And do not call me a troll. that is a direct attack, and against the rules of this message board(which in case you haven't noticed is not a Police board). Simply because I counter some of the things you post doesn't equate "trolling", its discussion. Until your very uncalled for troll comment I thought this discussion was healthy and good natured, now I see on your end thats not the case, so we're done.

Look at your post prior to your most recent post in this thread. It has nothing to do with the Police tour at all, its focused on another member of the forum exclusively. Please explain how that would be consistent with the rules of the forum.

Please do not refer to The Police as The Cops. There is a very average Aussie band called The Cops, and The Police don't deserve to be confused with such mediocrity.

Within the context of a u2 message board I think there are some important discussions here about Police/u2 touring in 2007/2008/2007 that have not been covered before.

-The Police tour does lay groundwork for u2 possibly eyeing US stadium shows in the near future. Considering that the U23D film had to add crowd scenes from Australia, and it's huge promotional push in North America. U2 have never successfully opened a stadium tour in the US - it's either been shows 5 months into a tour or the US Popmart debacle. In this way The Police have succeeded where u2 have not - 1st leg stadium shows in the US.

-Will other groups follow the pattern of alternating arena and Stadium shows from night to night? U2 did this in Joshua Tree and according to U2SHOW the crew members hated all the sound/light changes.

-U2 has had uniform average ticket pricing from Continent to Continent. Some exception for Canada and Eastern Europe/Spain. Police have had some average ticket prices double that from city to city within the same country. I wonder if other major rock groups are watching this closely - will groups with younger net-savvy fans kick up some dust?

-How will US return markets be for The Police. I think I would actually attend. I only saw the very beginning of the tour and am curious to see what they are like as a well oiled machine.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Within the context of a u2 message board I think there are some important discussions here about Police/u2 touring in 2007/2008/2007 that have not been covered before.

-The Police tour does lay groundwork for u2 possibly eyeing US stadium shows in the near future. Considering that the U23D film had to add crowd scenes from Australia, and it's huge promotional push in North America. U2 have never successfully opened a stadium tour in the US - it's either been shows 5 months into a tour or the US Popmart debacle. In this way The Police have succeeded where u2 have not - 1st leg stadium shows in the US.

-Will other groups follow the pattern of alternating arena and Stadium shows from night to night? U2 did this in Joshua Tree and according to U2SHOW the crew members hated all the sound/light changes.

-U2 has had uniform average ticket pricing from Continent to Continent. Some exception for Canada and Eastern Europe/Spain. Police have had some average ticket prices double that from city to city within the same country. I wonder if other major rock groups are watching this closely - will groups with younger net-savvy fans kick up some dust?

-How will US return markets be for The Police. I think I would actually attend. I only saw the very beginning of the tour and am curious to see what they are like as a well oiled machine.

u2fp

I don't think POPMART was a debacle since it was the 2nd highest grossing tour in history at that time, but I agree there were many shows with a low number of tickets sold that they definitely will never repeat again given all the negative press coverage they received for it.

U2 did stadiums all over the world on the last tour except in North America. The problem with North America is making General admission and the other tiered pricing levels work in US stadiums. The Police and the Rolling Stones price normally with the expensive seats at the front and the lower priced seats further back. U2's system of pricing in North America for Arena's would be difficult to repeat in stadiums. If they decided to go with general admission with a stadium tour in North America, it might be better to simply use a single price as they did on ZOO TV.

The music scene is almost devoid of stadium acts except for a handfull of artist, so this is really only a question for at most 5 artist on a global scale.

I think most of the return markets for the Police will be in the west and mid-west. Because the return to these markets will be nearly a year from the last time they visited them, the results should be a little better than their return to the East Coast last November. I'm thinking roughly 15 Arena shows and another $30 million in gross for their return to North America.

Strongbow said:

Look at your post prior to your most recent post in this thread. It has nothing to do with the Police tour at all, its focused on another member of the forum exclusively. Please explain how that would be consistent with the rules of the forum.
It was a continuation of a discussion in this thread comparing a Police audience to a Fleetwood Mac audience, it showed your contradiction in how you argue things. I'm quite sure you were able to see that.

Continue.

martha said:
When are they coming back, and will their prices be as high as they were before?
I would expect prices will likely be higher, they tend to rise each tour, I see no reason to expect anything different next time.

Strongbow said:
I don't think POPMART was a debacle since it was the 2nd highest grossing tour in history at that time, but I agree there were many shows with a low number of tickets sold that they definitely will never repeat again given all the negative press coverage they received for it.

Cohl and promotors like Live Nation learned some hard lessons with Popmart: Careful roll out of dates and more selective use of the word "sold out show". Popmart was just a list of US stadiums 9 months in advance. I wonder how many more Popmart shows would be considered sell outs if todays "rules" were applied?

U2 did stadiums all over the world on the last tour except in North America. The problem with North America is making General admission and the other tiered pricing levels work in US stadiums. The Police and the Rolling Stones price normally with the expensive seats at the front and the lower priced seats further back. U2's system of pricing in North America for Arena's would be difficult to repeat in stadiums. If they decided to go with general admission with a stadium tour in North America, it might be better to simply use a single price as they did on ZOO TV.

What did Springsteen and Metallica(Sanitarium fessitval bill) for tiered pricing and GA in US stadiums?

Is there ZERO chance of U2 getting GA in Yankee, Fenway, Dodger and Cominsky?

I think most of the return markets for the Police will be in the west and mid-west. Because the return to these markets will be nearly a year from the last time they visited them, the results should be a little better than their return to the East Coast last November. I'm thinking roughly 15 Arena shows and another $30 million in gross for their return to North America.

Calgary, Vancouver, Portland, California.....? All arenas?

u2fp

Last Tour Dates (according to the email I got...):
1-May-2008 Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place
3-May-2008 Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena
4-May-2008 Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
10-May-2008 Chicago, IL Allstate Arena
13-May-2008 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center
14-May-2008 Omaha, NE Qwest Center
16-May-2008 Orlando, FL Amway Center
17-May-2008 W. Palm Beach, FL Cruzan Amphitheatre
20-May-2008 Houston, TX Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
21-May-2008 Dallas, TX Superpages.com Center
23-May-2008 Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Hotel & Arena
24-May-2008 Phoenix, AZ Cricket Wireless Pavilion
26-May-2008 San Diego, CA Coors Amphitheatre
27-May-2008 Los Angeles, CA The Hollywood Bowl
11-Jul-2008 Portland, OR Clark County Amphitheatre
12-Jul-2008 Seattle, WA The Gorge
14-Jul-2008 San Francisco, CA Shoreline Amphitheatre
16-Jul-2008 Concord, CA Sleep Train Pavilion
17-Jul-2008 Sacramento, CA Sleep Train Amphitheatre
19-Jul-2008 Salt Lake City, UT USANA Amphitheatre
21-Jul-2008 Denver, CO Red Rocks Amphitheatre
25-Jul-2008 Milwaukee, WI Marcus Amphitheater
26-Jul-2008 Detroit, MI DTE Energy Music Theater
28-Jul-2008 Pittsburgh, PA Post Gazette Pavilion
31-Jul-2008 Boston, MA Tweeter Center
01-Aug-2008 Saratoga, NY Saratoga Performing Arts Center
03-Aug-2008 Holmdel, NJ PNC Bank Arts Center
04-Aug-2008 Wantagh, NY Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

All dates also have Elvis Costello and the Imposters as special guests.

Last edited:
Looks like the only places that could get extra dates is Denver, LA and around Chicago.

Was hoping for something is western Canada, but no such luck.

u2fp

martha said:
The Police and Elvis Costello? That was a dream gig 25 years ago.

It wouldn't be too bad now either. But I cannot stand the Hollywood Bowl. :tsk:

Yeah, if there was a date closer to Minneapolis, I'd probably go, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get a ticket this time around, especially since I saw them in St. Paul last summer.

Certainly can't pass up seeing both The Police AND Elvis Costello. Schweet. :up:

Saratoga Springs August 1 might work for me. It's a long trip, but it'd be a fun show, I'm sure, and it would mean I'd finally--after 11 years of trying--get to see Elvis Costello. :hmm:

Screwtape2 said:

Oh please be true. :drool:

The Police are my favorite band. I have dreamed of seeing them live as long as I can remember. Oh please be true. :hyper:

It's definitely true. Copy and pasted from an official Police email. :D

ACK!!!! MAJOR dilemma. Do I spend the $100 (ouch) to join the fan club to get presale tix? Do I take my chances with the regular sale? Do I wait and take even more chances with Craigs List or StubHub? Or do I save my $$ for the 2009(?) U2 tour?????

I am tearing my hair out over this!:crazy:

zuropa_fit said:
ACK!!!! MAJOR dilemma. Do I spend the $100 (ouch) to join the fan club to get presale tix? Do I take my chances with the regular sale? Do I wait and take even more chances with Craigs List or StubHub? Or do I save my $$ for the 2009(?) U2 tour?????

I am tearing my hair out over this!:crazy:

It's an easy ticket to get on the secondary market, unless they only do one show at redrocks/Hollywood Bowl or you're planning to do one of the last nights near NYC

zuropa_fit said:
ACK!!!! MAJOR dilemma. Do I spend the $100 (ouch) to join the fan club to get presale tix?

Oh God no. They're getting enough money from you to simply go to the concert. There were plenty of empty seats at the show I saw in LA last June. You'll be able to get seats, especially if you're not obsessed with "good" seats.

I kind of AM obsessed with 'good' seats, since I had really good seats the first two times and it would be a letdown to get crappy ones.

I think I might just take my chances with the regular sale and/or StubHub (I've had good luck with them before and got tix for less than face value)

The funny thing is that, for a few minutes, I toyed with the idea of not going???

Elvis at the Bowl :hmm: :drool:
I'd love to go... But I hate that all the decent tickets for the HB are a fortune, and if you are sitting far away, it's not as enjoyable. The Bowl can be a pain in the arse, I understand your pain Martha. Last show I saw there was Genesis in the rain. They "cancelled" the encore, and we were halfway back to the car (you know how far a walk that can be, especially in the rain), and I had lost my cellphone. Had to (salmon) walk back into the bowl and try to retrace our steps and find the seats (not ours) that we were in :der: Luckily hubby found it, but still. What a long cold wet night that was... and disappointing not to get the encore :sigh:

zuropa_fit said:
I kind of AM obsessed with 'good' seats, since I had really good seats the first two times and it would be a letdown to get crappy ones.

:) me too!

but i had horrible seats.

WHERE IS THE PHILLY DATE!??!?!??!??!

Back
Top Bottom