The Pogues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just booked a couple of tickets for one of the London gigs :dancing:

I've loved the Pogues since seeing them open for U2 way back on JT tour. I've only seen them once before (in their own right) and that was one of the maddest gigs ever...can't wait to see them again :drool:

This is Mr. Lila telling anyone who can to get to the Wiltern tonight. Tickets were basically being given away last night as the show was not sold out. I'd expect the same tonight, though probably not Friday.

Anyways, the show was unreal. Old Main Drag, Broad Majestic Shannon, Pair of Brown Eyes, Lullaby of London, Dirty Old Town, Sick Bed of Cul...., and on and on. Fairytale of NY, oh my god, not a sour note all night. Shane mumbling 'fuck this, fuck that', telling the screaming crowd 'shut the fuck up', lol. Who cares if you can't understand what he's saying between songs, you never could anyways. I enjoyed this show much more than the Rum Sodomy tour 20 years ago. The band was in top form, seamlessly playing on when endings were missed a couple times or Shane missing his cue. James said that it was great to be back at the Wiltern after so long and that he was a resident of LA now, so Shane jumps in and says something about him being a fuckin' faggot and then mumbling something about him now playing with his peers. Pretty funny.

I'm more excited now about seeing them again tonight, but totally bumming because I know tomorrow is coming and the moments will have passed. But until then...............

Had a fiver in my pocket (found as I was walking in) and a Pogue Mahone sweatband (found as I walked up the stairs to my seat).

Rainy Night in Soho, Body of an American ......... excuse me now, I'm getting a bit emotional.

'And we kicked the fucking blackshirts, who were cursing all the yids" OY!

A quick review of night two by Mr. Lila

Shane is clearly inebriated from the start. Unlike Wednesday when all he brings on stage are water bottles and many cigarettes, tonight it's red plastic cups. Certain members seem a bit upset with him and the band is not as tight though it makes no dfference in the power of the show. Shane attempts speaking much more between songs, but the combination of booze and lack of teeth makes deciphering any of it impossible.

The crowd is a bit more boisterous but the balcony is still basically on it's butts, forcing me again to the back row where I can sing, dance, laugh and cry without annoying anyone behind me. Just like Wednesday night.

Fairytale of New York- The snow takes a while to start as Shane and young Finer are dancing already before it begins to trickle down, then turning into a wonderful light sprinkling all across the stage as the band played on. Wednesday night it comes down all at once on top of Shane, completely covering them for a moment before letting up, much like a snow globe. Two different looks, both spectacular.

Same setlist, though for some reason I believe Philip sang a song Wednesday night and did'nt last night. Maybe I was dreaming......or maybe it was the cool alternate exit I found which allowed me to overindulge in illegal mind altering activity.

I'd go back again tonight, since last night was not sold out again, but I got these Bob Dylan tix.

I can only hope they come back again sometime:sad:

Lila64 said:
A quick review of night two by Mr. Lila

Shane is clearly inebriated from the start. Unlike Wednesday when all he brings on stage are water bottles and many cigarettes, tonight it's red plastic cups. Certain members seem a bit upset with him and the band is not as tight though it makes no dfference in the power of the show. Shane attempts speaking much more between songs, but the combination of booze and lack of teeth makes deciphering any of it impossible.

The crowd is a bit more boisterous but the balcony is still basically on it's butts, forcing me again to the back row where I can sing, dance, laugh and cry without annoying anyone behind me. Just like Wednesday night.

Fairytale of New York- The snow takes a while to start as Shane and young Finer are dancing already before it begins to trickle down, then turning into a wonderful light sprinkling all across the stage as the band played on. Wednesday night it comes down all at once on top of Shane, completely covering them for a moment before letting up, much like a snow globe. Two different looks, both spectacular.

Same setlist, though for some reason I believe Philip sang a song Wednesday night and did'nt last night. Maybe I was dreaming......or maybe it was the cool alternate exit I found which allowed me to overindulge in illegal mind altering activity.

I'd go back again tonight, since last night was not sold out again, but I got these Bob Dylan tix.

I can only hope they come back again sometime:sad:

Reading all the reviews is really making me :hyper: about seeing them again :)

Was the setlist pretty much the same as the one posted for the show in Japan earlier in this thread?

I'm curious to know whether they are mixing it up at all as a couple of the songs I really really want to hear weren't played in Japan.

If I remember hubby's comments, the set list seems pretty much the same.

It was a great show, great energy. Shane was great, the accordion player was great... :hyper: If anyone's in L.A. tonight and wants to see a great show, head on down to The Wiltern. Who knows when you'll have another chance!

Lila64 said:

It was a great show, great energy. Shane was great, the accordion player was great... :hyper: If anyone's in L.A. tonight and wants to see a great show, head on down to The Wiltern. Who knows when you'll have another chance!

Maybe we'll get lucky in London...if they were gonna play Dark Streets of London & Transmetropolitan anywhere, you would think London would be the place lol...keeping my fingers crossed for that :D

Lila64 said:

:hmm: are you going tonight Lila?

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of new york city
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more

:hyper: and thanks redkat - waiting for your review :hyper:

The crowd was amazing last night. They knew the songs and the entire theatre was on it's feet.

I had a more difficult time understanding Shane (even spots during songs) but the music was still amazing. I do think they sounded better on Tuesday.

Pretty much the same setlist I believe there might have been at least one new song but I can't think of when or what it was :der: Fairytale was so beautiful last night. They presented Ella Finer with a bouquet of roses and it looked like she was in tears when she dashed off the stage and hugged her dad.

I had thought there were two opening acts Angel City Outcasts and Ollin. I only saw Ollin so if Angel City played they did it quickly and while I was stuck in traffic. The people around me didn't see another opening act either so I dunno :shrug:

Ollin was good I'd say they're like a east LA mexican Pogues :wink: They came out during Fiesta so maybe 20 musicians all on stage dancing, singing and slamming aluminum pans against their heads.

and so it ends... I can't imagine we'll see Shane again stateside

Mr. Lila one last time.....

I got these Bob Dylan tix for $15 and I've already seen the Pogues twice in a row, so I head off to the Forum. Never seen Bob before. But something is pulling at me and I think I know what it is. Two songs in and I have a pretty good idea what we're gonna see here from Bob, so I turn to my friend and yell "If we leave now we can still catch the Pogues". I know he can't believe what he's hearing. If I was alone, I would have been gone right then. But I've never seen Dylan and I don't think he wants to leave. So we stay. Throughout the show I'm thinking about the Pogues and when will Dylan finish. Grampa Bob calls it a night at 10:30 and I'm thinking again. Two opening acts supposedly, friday night, maybe the boys came on late. There is no stopping me now, we dash to the car, haul ass up La Brea towards Hollywood. I'm gonna see the Pogues still, damn it. Get to the Wiltern at 10:50, park car, run to Wiltern front door ready to bust through security (chase me down if you can suckers) and people are starting to stream out. Well........it was worth a try. Despite the disapointment, I knew the odds were slim. And I knew exactly what I missed, so in a way I was there.

I'm so glad Lila helped convince Redkat to go. I'm sure all the traffic hell was worth it once those lights went off and Streams began. Fiesta sounds like it was unreal!

According to the Philip Chevron on the Pogues site, the extra? song played was The Bicycle Michael right before Pair of Brown Eyes.

He said LA 2 and LA 1 were the best shows of the tour. I would switch the two but that would be really nitpicking. Both shows were f**king awesome, as I'm sure last night was.

I'm thinking the same thing about Shane and whether we'll see him again, but I'm gonna stay positive and I do believe they'll be back.

A funny quote by Philip C. after last nights show was thanking LA for a memorable and enjoyable stay, and they are leaving James F. behind as a token of their appreciation :wink:

Try to sleep and dream my way
Back to you again :sad:

Last edited:
:bump:

They are in town next week. HOB has these special offers on Tuesdays only, 2 for 1 tix. I got an email this morning that the Anaheim HOB show on Sunday is available today only as a for 1, if anyone is interested. I could forward the email to you if need-be. They are in L.A. twice later in the week. Mr. Lila should probably be at the L.A. show(s). The Anaheim one would be very far, and probably not start til very late due to the opening acts, thus not getting him home til dawn :happy:

Highly doubtful redkat

We got an email today from Live Nation that they had a $10 Mezzanine special for 10/31 at The Wiltern. That's the one show he paid full price for for crappier tix. He's pissed. Though when you try & follow the link in the email, there's no option for choosing the $10 seats. Of course we tried calling, but they close at 2:00PM PST (5:00PM EST) :mad:

Just got back, long show.

The opening acts especially the first guy were really good. Took forever for The pogues to come out. I was a bit worried something had happened to Shane. Eventually they appeared as the crowd grew restless. It was at least 11pm when they went on I think.

House of Blues was a great venue. Tons more energy than either the Grove or the Wiltern. The place was packed and everyone knew every song. (*sidenote tons of testosterone at a Pogues show. The line for the mens room went all the way down the stairs, no waiting at any time for the ladies :D. Of course being in the pit when them is going to leave me pretty beat up tomorrow but it was fun!)

No Philip, the stand in was very good though.

Shane was not overly intoxicated I guess. He was harder to understand than last year I think but it's hard to compare. I only made out a few things he said. He wasn't wobbly though :up: He was definitely in good humor and enjoyed the crowd. He was trying to pass a bottle of wine out but security wasn't having it.

No fairytale of NY :( that was sort of a letdown. He did do Love you Till the End. Red roses, sally Mac(my fav.), Turkish song of the damned was really powerful.

A freeborn man of the USA really sent the crowd off. I'd have to get the setlist from their message board, I never remember accurately.

Great show those guys put on... really fantastic :up:

Damn all the opening acts - though I won't be at the shows this week. I'll direct hubby to the thread for questions/comments :up:

A shout out to anyone in the UK who may have a passing interest in the Pogues. Get your selves to any of the upcoming December shows (Xmas with the Pogues in Ireland?) :drool:. The boys are playing better than ever.

Saw them in LA last week and they were as good as last year's tour. Shane is in the best condition I can remember and the set was changed up a bit with a few more early selections from Red Roses. Kitty, Greenland Whaling, Poor Paddy replaced Fairytale of New York & Lullaby of London. Drummer Andrew came out to sing a couple with Shane doing backing vocals. Great shows!

"Stay in bed when the Pogues are in town?? Well, that's a bloody stupid thing to do! - Joe Strummer

:bump:

The Pogues have confirmed these fall 2009 dates:
October 10: Seattle, WA Showbox SoDo
October 11: Portland, OR Roseland Theatre
October 13: San Francisco, CA Warfield Theatre
October 14: San Francisco, CA Regency Center @ The Grand
October 17: Los Angeles, CA Club Nokia LA
October 19: San Diego, CA House of Blues
October 21: Tempe, AZ Marquee Theatre
October 23: Denver, CO Ogden Theatre
October 25: Kansas City, MO The Midland Theatre
October 28: Austin, TX Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheatre