The Pixies set to record new materia + Bono begged them to do it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niamh_Saoirse

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
If this turns out to be true, I'm going to burst a blood vessel. :hyper:

And my husband will have no choice but to thank Bono for this. :D

The last time the Pixies played in Buenos Aires they were so damn good!

The Pixies set to record new material | Music | guardian.co.uk

The Pixies set to record new material

Once current tour finishes, two decades after the release of their last album, 'it'll be time', says guitarist

The Pixies set to record new material

Once current tour finishes, two decades after the release of their last album, 'it'll be time', says guitarist

When their tour is finished, the Pixies want to make a new album. "We gotta plan to make something new," drummer David Lovering explained in a recent interview. Two decades after the release of their album Trompe Le Monde, the rock legends have fans who weren't even born the last time they released a record. "We're gonna wear out our welcome soon enough," Lovering said. Besides, even Bono is hassling them.

The Pixies split in 1993 and reunited in 2004, and the past seven years have been marked by constant gigging. "We were happy to just tour, and it's been non-stop because people want to see us," Lovering told Spinner. Although the band have been talking about a new album "for years", Lovering admitted, "nothing's come to fruition" – allegedly due to the reluctance of bassist Kim Deal.

But things seem to be changing. When this tour is finished, suggested guitarist Joey Santiago, "it'll be time". "Making a record will be in the forefront ... We've definitely gelled as a unit and hopefully when we can all bury the hatchet – and we have – maybe we'll go in there and hope for the best."

The Pixies still have "friction", Santiago acknowledged, though he and Lovering aren't really the problem. "If there were two people to pick ... it would probably be the other two [laughs]." But the musicians claim that even Kim Deal and Frank Black can probably be convinced. "Who knows once we get in there?" Santiago said. "I think that makes good music. [The Kinks'] Ray Davies, you know, beating up his little brother, [laughs] that friction, we've always kind of used it. Like, 'Oh yeah? Screw you, we're gonna play'. That little angst, it's good."

Besides, it isn't just 18-year-old fans clamouring for a sixth LP: the frontman of U2 has been tugging at the Pixies' sleeves. "Bono even asked," Santiago said. "Remember that? He's like, 'Please make a record!' Goddamn, we can't leave that unturned. That would frustrate me. It would. I think we should do it. But it's up to everybody."

The Pixies complete their Doolittle tour in Victoria, Canada on 5 May

It's always Bono with these guys.

Bono made the band break up because they were the support act and something something!

Bono made the band put out a new album!

:lol:

I hope this album doesn't just sound like slackassed Surfer Rosa outtakes.

But really, I am very happy, of course. I'm always just a little dubious about the modern Pixies because I love their last two albums (as well as their 80s stuff), but their insistence of playing Doolittle forty billion times suggests to me that they don't have the same opinion.

I'm not a fan of The Pixies myself, but this thread caught my eye, because a friend of mine is close friends with the band. I wonder if she knows anything about it. I should ask her. :hmm:

on my reading of the writeup on pitchfork i certainly didn't come away with the sense that this is definitely happening.

just that it's not necessarily an IMpossibility.

Back
Top Bottom