the pains of being pure at heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been waiting to see if somebody was going to start this thread. I'm curious to see what people think. The crossover seems to have begun!

If you're talking about Psychocandy or a singles collection, then the answer is clearly yes. Otherwise, the answer is just as clearly a resounding no.

Still really enjoying this. Every year, I hear a couple of records like this one (regardless of genre)--unassuming, unambitious, unspectacular, reallyreallyreallyreallyreally well-written records. Nothing new, and nothing too special. Just damned strong. I won't be listening to this at all, in two months, but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it, until then. Last year's most glaring example: that Frightened Rabbit record, The Midnight Organ Fight.

Damn-ass good.

This is the closest I've heard someone to sounding like Slowdive in a few years, I'll definitely have to buy this. Not surprisingly, Pitchfork's shitty description of them being a "lo-fi noise band" couldn't have been further from the truth. As I'm a sucker for anything that sounds like it should have been on Creation records in the early 90's, I'll have to pick this up.

I just found this band about a couple of weeks ago. Been trying to decide if I want to get the album.

How many people in this thread have actually purchased the album?

I'm guessing 0. Please prove me wrong.

Damnit for my love of CDs, I have yet to hear it and I want it badly. Shop is supposed to call me when they get it in, hopefully that doesn't take long.

Worth every penny, no?

Come on, though, people. Can we please derail this thread into a love-fest over on 16 Lovers Lane...?

Honestly, I really don't care for this album at all. It just sounds like everything else going on indie (is there one original melody on this?), and, while the production tries to channel MBV or The Jesus And Mary Chain, it just sounds indistinct and generally shitty.

I had pretty high expectations, but this is weak.

What other indie bands does it sound just like, if you don't mind me asking (not trying to be contrary, just interested in hearing your thoughts)? It doesn't sound like an indie record at all to me, but a vintage era Creation album. That's what I like about it.

For the production style, Glasvegas and No Age, to name two. And both of those records are more convincing at fitting those noise rock sensibilities into the band's overall sound. As for the melodies, it really doesn't help that I'm extremely familiar with all of their influences (I hear a very pronounced Stone Roses influence, especially in Gentle Sons, which screams This Is The One, along with the aforementioned MBV and JATMC), and would much rather pop in their records instead.

This really just feels like a parody or tribute album to me, and rather faceless, like it was created in a lab. Maybe the EP feels more unique.

I concur, re: Creation. It definitely sounds like an "indie" album, but circa 1989, rather than 2009. As far as I hear it, at least.

Admittedly, I've only heard 4 or 5 tracks, but they all reminded me much more of Ride and Slowdive side of shoegaze and dreampop than anyone on the noise side of things. I particularly haven't been reminded of JaMC by any of the songs I've heard yet. As I'm a sucker for that era of music, I admittedly can be pretty anal about the distinctions and differences between shoegaze, dream pop, and noise, so I apologize in advance.

Any time something is compared to MBV, I hit the roof and immediately think it's bound to be a classic. My expectations were probably too high.

Though unrelated to MBV, the general hype over Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Vampire Weekend's records were the final nail in the coffin for those as well.

Back
Top Bottom