the pains of being pure at heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:bump:

Anyone heard the new one? It doesn't quite go there like Belong did, but still a solid effort and two really strong tracks, IMO (Eurydice [wtf, how did we get two songs with that name in under a year?] and The Asp At My Chest).

The new one - which, it must be said, might as well be by a different band given only the frontman is left from the previous records - has pretty much sunk without a trace for me. It was pleasant the few times I played it, and I'm sure if I put it on right now it would be enjoyable, but nothing leapt out at me.

After a couple listens, I REALLY like Simple And Sure, it's up there with some of my other favorite Pains' tracks. The rest is pretty nice. Their first album is still far and away my favorite.

I like the new one just fine, but that Billy Corgan style guitar tone on Belong makes that album easily their best. It really beefed up a thin sound. The new one sounds a lot like the Smiths, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

The Higher Than the Stars EP is highly underrated.

Pretty sure Kurt Feldman is still in the band. (But your point stands)

The only actual band member listed on their Facebook is Kip.

The Higher Than the Stars EP is highly underrated.

Totally agreed. In fact, I think a lot of their best stuff is on non-album releases. Their self-titled EP is patchy but has one classic - "Doing All the Things That Wouldn't Make Your Parents Proud" - and my favourite Pains release is the "Say No to Love"/"Lost Saint" single.

I like the new one just fine, but that Billy Corgan style guitar tone on Belong makes that album easily their best. It really beefed up a thin sound.

Yes, the one and only song that was used on made a huge difference.

Kurt is, at least, on the album. Maybe something happened since then... :hmm:

Here's our answer:

Q&A: The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart’s Kip Berman On Days Of Abandon, The Band’s New Lineup, And The Folly Of Double Vinyl - Stereogum

STEROGUM: You’re the only band member listed on Facebook right now. What’s the status with the lineup? Who made the record with you? Who is touring with you?

KIP BERMAN: From the start Pains has been about me writing songs and playing them with my friends — and it always turns out better than it sounds in my bedroom. So recording this album was especially exciting, because in addition to Alex Naidus and Kurt Feldman, who brought a lot of his synth skill in addition to drumming to the record, I was able to work with Jen Goma from A Sunny Day in Glasgow, and Kelly Pratt (Beirut, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Bright Moments).

The first time Jen stood next to me and sung “Kelly” I got chills. I’d known her from A Sunny Day in Glasgow (who we played our 3rd show ever with in my living room and are a fantastic band with a new record coming out soon — check it out!). The next week I gave her “Life After Life,” and it just felt revelatory — almost entirely other than the demo I made with Kurt, but so much more than what I could have done on my own. Sitting with Kelly and working out the horn parts, I was equally taken aback. He had this intuitive understanding of how to bring these subtle, new textures and counter melodies to the music that wasn’t just, “ok, you guys are 3rd Wave Ska now, right?” He’s also a close friend, so it just felt natural to hang out for a week in Portland, work on music all day and then go have a drink and discuss basketball/how awesome that David Byrne & St. Vincent tour was.

As for live, I’m really excited that Christoph Hochheim, who played on Belong and was with us since our first record in 2009, is back with us on guitar. His brother Anton Hochheim, who has played with him in Kurt’s old band The Depreciation Guid and now Ablebody is playing drums. Jacob Sloan, the songwriter for one of my favorite indiepop bands Dream Diary and bassist for the equally excellent The Hairs is going to be playing with us too. Drew Citron from Frankie Rose/Beverly, as well as Jen Goma and Jessica Weiss from Fear of Men are also going to be touring with us at various points in the year.

Music is my life, but it’s not everyone’s life. So I try to be respectful and grateful of my friends who have taken the time to help me make this happen and if they need time to pursue other things, that’s ok too.

So the album had some of the original members, but live it's just Kip with a backing band, and by the sounds of it future albums will essentially be the same way.

Also, Penny Wang-East now works as a Buzzfeed writer. So there you go.

Kip's got to get the line-up that was on the first album back together because that album is flawless. I couldn't even get through the new one, and Belong was bit too Siamese Dream and it sounded forced to me. Though the guitars did sound nice.

By the way, what does Ian McCulloch have against plumbers and bricklayers? Who does he think built the building that shields the alley he lives in from the rain?

Back
Top Bottom