The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Premature threadjaculation.

I bought it today. It's fucking beautiful. It's in the car CD player right now. I got four tracks in and all I have to say right now is FIREPROOF. Fuck, that's a gorgeous song. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Who gives a shit what a self appointed music critic that you would never spend any free time with thinks? I vote for a thread title change

Humiliation is a fantastic song

(The irony of this post was not intended, but is noted)

Tremendous stuff, this album.

Demons, Don't Swallow the Cap, Sea of Love, This is the Last Time, Graceless, that might be my top five at this stage, but then you've got Humiliation, Pink Rabbits, Hard to Find, hell, just about the whole thing.

And Hard To Find hit me like a ton of bricks today. "I'm not holding out for you / But I'm still watching for the signs". Wow. Add in the guitar line, the subtle horns in the background... what an amazing closer.

Yeah, he's becoming a caricature recently. The only thing he seems to appreciate anymore is uptempo and/or thrashing stuff like Death Grips and Liturgy. I'm not sure he has an ear at all for subtlety.

It was barely a few weeks ago you were saying he was the best in the business :lol:

I bought this CD and I agree the booklet is sweet.

Care to reassess this comment now you own it?

My God, did you manage to get both of them wrong?

So I'm the only one who really, really likes demons, apparently. But it's all shimmery, with contrasting apathetic vocals, yet a hint of catchiness to the chorus. How is that not wonderful?

You're not. Cobbler just listed it as a highlight and I'd say it's my 3rd or 4th favorite (probably not company you want to be aligned with but hey). Excellent song.

Also, it is now impossible to argue Bryan Devendorf is not the best drummer in rock. Many of The National's songs would be quite lacklustre in the hands of another drummer. He is the only drummer around at the moment who I actively listen to, if that makes sense... because he's so powerful, so atypical, really helps drive the songs. Take Sea of Love, for example, he keeps what in most songs would be an intro beat for the first one or two bars going for 40 seconds, before getting even more fierce, and then dropping back for the "if I stay here, trouble will find me" part.

I knew you had the booklet, I just wanted to dwell on the idea that you could have read it and still gotten it wrong.

Ah. Sorry to disappoint.

Fantano's review is fair enough, just his opinion. I can see where he's coming from - I'd say a few of those things about Boxer - though I obviously passionately disagree. But I'm with Jive, he doesn't deserve to be in our title.

You're not. Cobbler just listed it as a highlight and I'd say it's my 3rd or 4th favorite (probably not company you want to be aligned with but hey). Excellent song.

Yeah, but since when does cobbler count?

Just kidding, I didn't see his post.

Still not hugely fond of dont swallow the cap. It's not bad, I'm just not a huge fan.

Don't Swallow the Cap is pretty much Brainy part 2 and I wasn't a huge fan of Brainy part 1. It's a nice midtempo track with a steady beat that for whatever reason doesn't stick with me. It's nice and comfortable though, just the band doing their thing.

Demons has never lost its lacklustre ho-hum quality for me, but whatever, it's one song. On the whole, a good strong record. I really am starting to think it gets better in the second half, with Graceless, Humiliation, I Need My Girl etc.

Back
Top Bottom