The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Xanadu, Queensland?

They did two stand-alone gigs in Brisbane in 2008.

I was barely aware of the band in 2008. I was keeping an eye out in 2010/2011 whenever it was, but on that occasion, there was no show in Brisbane.

No matter; as my earlier comments might have indicated, the National are very much that band where the album recordings are paramount. I don't say that about U2 or Radiohead, or even The Arcade Fire. On the other hand, I would say that about REM.

On the other hand, you have improvements and song extensions to tracks like Squalor Victoria, About Today and Humiliation, so it is absolutely essential to listen to them live as well, just as it is for U2 or Radiohead. Not to mention the energy level goes way up, so the "National are so boring" critics can STFU.

Well...

a. I would never say the National 'are so boring'.
b. I don't know if essential is the word I'd choose. Look, if I caught them on a night when Matt's voice was in good shape, I'd probably enjoy it. Essential, probably not.

a. Who said I was referring to you?

b. And the live experience is dependent on many more factors than whether Matt had hit this or that note. Don't judge it by YouTube clips in any case.

a. Who said I was referring to you?

Nobody. Sorry if you took that from my hastily typed post.

[/quote]b. And the live experience is dependent on many more factors than whether Matt had hit this or that note. Don't judge it by YouTube clips in any case.[/QUOTE]

Well, sure. As I say, it's kind of moot.

I think they'll do shows next year. They're definitely coming for a festival.

And I have to say - I was a pretty casual National fan till I saw them live. Then I became a rabid fan. They really are astonishing live, djerdap is right, aside from Radiohead and U2 I can't really think of any band who improves pretty much every song live. Seen them twice, top five all-time both times.

I can't really think of any band who improves pretty much every song live.

I wouldn't go that far. About half of their songs are better in the studio I feel. I can think of more bands though where 90% of their catalogue does sound better live to these ears (Pearl Jam, The Cure, Led Zeppelin).

But songs that do improve really do improve, so much that their studio counterparts sound like glorified demos (Squalor Victoria as the primary example). This is why it is essential to experience them live, or at least listen to a great-quality bootleg.

I literally thought everything they played sounded better live (and I'm a huge rap for High Violet).

Pearl Jam is definitely one of those bands though, yeah.

I basically just listen to U2's 1993 Sydney rendition of Running to Stand Still and say, that's it, that's live reinterpretation done right there. Albums are fine.

That said, definitely like what they've done with Squalor Victoria in (one of) the recent shows.

Hi There,

We hope you will accept our apologies for the extreme delay of the deluxe vinyl edition of Trouble Will Find Me. The production has been plagued with problems and if we had known there would be this many delays we would have thought up something different. The plant hired to make the box seems to have overreached their die-cutting expertise and failed to tell us that the design might cause problems. The prototypes seemed to work, but the proofs we received after we had put the box up for order had issues and had to be redesigned. We knew the boxes would be delayed after street date, but were told the beginning of June as a delivery date, which seemed reasonable. After experiencing delays first in getting the box, we encountered a second production delay as the pressing plant is shorthanded, so vinyl jobs are backordered. We are told they are working as fast as possible, and hope to have finished boxes to 4AD next week, but we've been promised next week for about a month now. We are as frustrated as you are and wish there was something more we could do to get these finished and in your hands. You should have been contacted by 4AD with the offer of a full refund or the option to continue waiting. If you haven't been given this option or haven't received a response from 4AD, please send a
message to carlito@posthocmanagement.com.

Thanks again for your patience and please understand that we are pestering all involved daily to try and get this finished and shipped!

Have a good weekend. -- thanks for your support! /the national

That explains it.

I just got an e-mail from 4AD saying that the box sets are "in the middle of going out." Some of you should have them soon.

No email for me so far. "In the middle of going out" is a very weird (and probably deliberately vague) formulation, though.

Some people have received shipping notices, for what it's worth. I'm not one.

No email for me so far. "In the middle of going out" is a very weird (and probably deliberately vague) formulation, though.

I was writing to request a shipping address change, so the remark was something of an aside.

It'd be nice if they upgraded us all to expedited shipping as a consolation for how fucked this entire thing was. There's no way I'll have the damn thing before August.

I'm starting to think I prefer the remix version of Lit Up to the original.

One of the Top 5 Albums of the Year - If Not #1. I can't wait to see them live for the first time in LA at the Greek!

(I wish U2 would move in this direction - taking advantage of Bono's deep, scarred, weary voice - they could really make it work for this type pf music)

I basically just listen to U2's 1993 Sydney rendition of Running to Stand Still and say, that's it, that's live reinterpretation done right there.

Only one of the best live performances of ALL TIME! It's hard for anything to stand up to that. (Bono singing Hallelujah with army wide open is memorizing)

Mine got sent out yesterday. Can't wait for USPS to lose it like they did my recent order of Swordfishtrombones.

I'm seeing these guys tonight. With how this week's been, I sorta forgot it was happening.

Back
Top Bottom