The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Posting/referencing a review != caring.

I just think it's interesting to see an articulate, dissident review on an album I love. It makes me think about it more.

The thread title is pretty funny too.

I really don't get what the big deal is about the thread title. But, I'm sure anything I say is just going to look like I'm sticking up for LeMel just because, so I'll just leave it at that.

I also found it amusing, given the circumstances of the reference.

Doesn't bug me in the least, but I don't even know who the Fantano guy is.

Posting/referencing a review != caring.

Great logic. Too bad I haven't referenced, posted or watched this review at all. Thread title != music review? Nah.

In any case, it may turn out wonderfully random in time as it was already mentioned. Or even more annoying. Time will tell.

To get back on topic, I'll say no more except... Good stuff, this record.

Also, it is now impossible to argue Bryan Devendorf is not the best drummer in rock.

He's a great drummer, but I wouldn't go this far, especially when people like Matt Cameron, Gavin Harrison, Jimmy Chamberlin and Danny Carey are still active. I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.

Devendorf's a boss. It's not so much about technical proficiency (tho he obviously has great chops), more about the imaginative drum patterns. The drums are what drive many of The National's best tunes.

All those drummers I've mentioned may be technically proficient, but they carry the songs as much as Devendorf does and have tremendous feel for the music, making their playing essential to the sound of their respective bands (Chamberlin has however quit the Pumpkins... good for him I say). I'm really the last person who would push technical proficiency over "feel" and innovation.

I think my favorite line so far is from I Need My Girl:

"Remember when you lost your shit and drove the car into the garden; you got out and said I'm sorry to the vines, and no one saw it."

This line definitely caught my attention (I've only been through the record once so far). It captures that feeling of flying off the handle when you're all alone and then still feeling embarrassed about it afterward. We've all been there, I think.

Wouldn't it be funny, after all this discussion, if Berninger dropped a 'trouble will find Fantano' into some concert performance. A sort of 'don't believe in Goldman, his type like a curse' moment.

Lot of reviews I've read are lambasting the band for a lack of progress, complaining about the lack of variety or moments that really jump out. It's being quite underrated I think.

They call all just kiss off into the air.

I feel this is a continuation of High Violet in the same vein that High Violet was a continuation of Boxer. They have not reinvented themselves here, but the subtleties in song structure and subject matter should be apparent to anyone who has listened carefully to the whole catalogue. You can look at this way: Alligator is struggling to start your romantic/professional life; Boxer is finally breaking in; High Violet is working to solidify yourself; Trouble is being establishing and fearing that you might lose what you have worked for. The whole "yuppie silk pajamas" criticism is utter bullshit in my mind, as there are very real emotional and existential issues at stake in all of these albums.

I'm not really sure where I was going with it. Apparently nowhere.

But I Should Live in Salt is a good song. I like it a lot. This album would be perfect if the last three songs were cut off. They kind of bore me, whereas I think everything else is pretty stellar.

I Should Live In Salt is alright but honestly if the album lost any of its last third-and-a-bit, my opinion of it would be very different.

Half My Mind (or whatever the last song is called - cant remember the name for the life of me!) is the only song not really doing anything for me at all.

I Should Live in Salt is gorgeous - wonderful opener.

It's not my favorite but I still like it a lot. It's the song that's grown on me the most.

Back
Top Bottom