The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That anxious guitar line running through I Need My Girl really takes it to another level. What could be a run-of-the-mill "I miss my girl" song becomes something much stronger with the instrumentation.

So I'm the only one who really, really likes demons, apparently. But it's all shimmery, with contrasting apathetic vocals, yet a hint of catchiness to the chorus. How is that not wonderful?

I went out of my way to heap praise on it twice. Take me off ignore, betch!

That anxious guitar line running through I Need My Girl really takes it to another level. What could be a run-of-the-mill "I miss my girl" song becomes something much stronger with the instrumentation.

Totally, especially that shift in tone towards the end.

Totally agreed.

Also voting for a thread title change. I don't really want to be stuck with this one for the next 900 or so posts about The National.

If you're TROUBLED by the title, PM a mod and wait for the wheels of justice to turn.

Can't wait to frequent The National Discussion.

Four full listens thus far. It's fair to say that I really like the album a lot and have not come close to feeling like skipping any one song. I feel like it's not their best, but, it's their best track sequencing in my opinion....the album just seems to flow* perfectly from one song to the next. Very consistent....I hope that does not sound like I'm damning it with faint praise because I am not.

Bryan Devendorf could be my favorite current drummer. He's just inventive as fuck and my ear fixates on what he's doing without me even thinking about it.

I also like that on two different tracks I was unsure if that was even Matt singing for a few seconds.

So, yeah, I'm digging it a lot and look forward to many more listens. It's nice to have an album on my hands that I legitimately want to live with, as it were, for a while.

*WTF?

I went out of my way to heap praise on it twice. Take me off ignore, betch!

Sorry, was someone saying something? :wink:

I think I missed a lot since I couldn't be bothered to click the spoilers, then. Or all I saw were the "blaaaah it's not a brilliant song" posts, because in addition to hating everything, all I note is others' hate. Or something. I kinda love that song, though.

And yes, devendorf's drumming = about as good as it gets. First time I heard fake empire, I reached that conclusion and everything since has just confirmed its truth.

Four full listens thus far. It's fair to say that I really like the album a lot and have not come close to feeling like skipping any one song. I feel like it's not their best, but, it's their best track sequencing in my opinion....the album just seems to flow* perfectly from one song to the next. Very consistent....I hope that does not sound like I'm damning it with faint praise because I am not.

Bryan Devendorf could be my favorite current drummer. He's just inventive as fuck and my ear fixates on what he's doing without me even thinking about it.

I also like that on two different tracks I was unsure if that was even Matt singing for a few seconds.

So, yeah, I'm digging it a lot and look forward to many more listens. It's nice to have an album on my hands that I legitimately want to live with, as it were, for a while.

*WTF?

Yes, the sequencing and flow is exceptional. Their best in that regard, I'd agree.

Well, we finally have it... the first cobbler-won't-shut-the-fuck-up-about-it record of the year. I'm sorry. How about the ending to Pink Rabbits? "You said it would be painless / a needle in a doll / you said it would be painless / it wasn't that at all" with "when the sound kicks out" and all the instrumentation in the background. Glorious.

I've listened to it probably three, four times now, and already lines from most of the songs are sticking in my head. Don't know about anyone else, but for me, that's the sign of a very, very good album.

I really like these lines:

I'm not alone, (too seriously)
I'll never be. (don't swallow the cap)
Into the bone, (pat yourself on the back)
I'll never grieve (too seriously)
And if you want, (too seriously)
To see me cry, (don't swallow the cap)
Play "Let It Be" (pat yourself on the back)
Or "Nevermind". (too seriously)

Those lines are awesome, as is:

All the LA women
Fell asleep while swimming
I got paid to fish them out
And then one day I lost the job

Humiliation might just be my early favourite.

Don't Swallow the Cap is pretty much Brainy part 2 and I wasn't a huge fan of Brainy part 1. It's a nice midtempo track with a steady beat that for whatever reason doesn't stick with me. It's nice and comfortable though, just the band doing their thing.

It's much, much better than Brainy. The chorus is very catchy (and I love the subtle changes in vocal melody), the instrumentation just builds and builds until that excellent climax, unlike Brainy which doesn't seem to go anywhere. It was a highlight when it first came out and it is still in my top 3.

Humiliation has probably my favourite lyrics on the record. Certainly the funniest ones. "As the free-fall advances, I'm the moron who dances, aaah-aaah-aaah" cracks me up every time. It guarantees a bunch of dancing morons at a concert. I wonder how Muldfeld would feel about that.

And yeah, change that thread title. I couldn't care less about "official" music reviews in general, and it's gonna be really awkward if, 60 pages in, we're talking about our concert experiences and a possible National Song of Ascent in 2014 next to that silly name.

I think my favorite line so far is from I Need My Girl:

"Remember when you lost your shit and drove the car into the garden; you got out and said I'm sorry to the vines, and no one saw it."

There's something very evocative about that line - just the feeling of watching something spiral out of your control and having no way to influence it.

Went to the record store yesterday to pick up the vinyl and they were sold out. Ugh. Next time I'll just pre-order off of Amazon, later for that buying local shit.

And yeah, change that thread title. I couldn't care less about "official" music reviews in general, and it's gonna be really awkward if, 60 pages in, we're talking about our concert experiences and a possible National Song of Ascent in 2014 next to that silly name.
Posting/referencing a review != caring.

I just think it's interesting to see an articulate, dissident review on an album I love. It makes me think about it more.

The thread title is pretty funny too.

After listening to this a few times, I feel that it would have been more suited to a fall release. I think I'd probably be able to connect to it better in the fall. Other than that, I do like it. It feels more subdued as a whole than previous albums they've released. Nothing has hit me as immediately as Bloodbuzz Ohio, I'm Afraid of Everyone, or Lemonworld, or Slow Show, Mistaken For Strangers, or Fake Empire from those respective albums.

These aren't the best lyrics of the album but the delivery and music make it my favorite part:
Baby you gave me bad ideas
Baby you left me sad and high

Matt sounds like a broken man there.

Thread title will be hilariously nonsensical in three years when the next album drops. Though I'm pretty sure this will reach 1,000 posts before then.

Let's make it reach 1,000 posts today.

The National, The National, The National!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom