The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that song a lot too. I like every song on this album quite a bit. I had a weird moment with Boxer, where I was scared I'd never like them anywhere near as much as I did during the Alligator era. I've loved both High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me though.

Boxer is my fave and that seems to be the consensus, at least among people who aren't huge fans. I don't know, it feels like their most intimate record; a candle-lit after hours masterpiece, and I love those. Obviously Alligator is an extremely close second and then there's a bit of a dip, but I love the new album as well. It's probably third right now.

I feel the same way about Boxer. It's the album to "go out at night with your headphones on". I'm not so fond of some of the individual songs in that album, but I they all work really well in the context of the album. And its peaks are really high. Slow Show-Apartment Story-Start A War is their best trio of songs, for my taste.

Alligator-Boxer-High Violet are almost impossible to choose between for me. I would say HV is the most consistent, Alligator is the best lyrically, and Boxer has arguably their best song in Fake Empire.

I have a work-related commitment Wednesday night, but, damn, it's tempting to punt it and see the Brooklyn show instead.

The reason I made a comment earlier about flow is that to me Boxer is the quintessential album album. Not that every song is utterly amazing (though imo Fake Empire is better than all but a handful of songs since 2007), but that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. A contained, unified, coherent mood and state of being. You hardly ever get that with albums. Achtung Baby, Maxinquaye, maybe Kid A or OK Computer if I give it a half-second's thought. Or something like A Ghost Is Born.

Or something like A Ghost Is Born.

I've always thought this record was horrendously inconsistent. If you chop off Hummingbird, The Late Greats, I'm a Wheel and Theologians you'd have an extremely coherent record (albeit a more monotone one); those tracks almost feel like they're from a different album altogether.

Well that's pretty interesting, as I'd say One Sunday Morning is one of the few post- A Ghost Is Born Wilco tracks that I like.

In point of fact I don't like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot very much.

Seeing them with Bob Dylan, Richard Thompson and MMJ in just 6 weeks :heart:

Same here. Can't wait.

For the post-YHF period, I thought that Spiders, Impossible Germany, Bull Black Nova, Art of Almost and One Sunday Morning, at the very least, were universally loved.

Still gutted that I was underwhelmed by them live.
How come? I can't imagine that.

I saw them in a half empty tent at a festival because Foo Fighters were playing at the same time (you could even hear them during the quieter songs) and it was still awesome.

The reason I made a comment earlier about flow is that to me Boxer is the quintessential album album. Not that every song is utterly amazing (though imo Fake Empire is better than all but a handful of songs since 2007), but that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. A contained, unified, coherent mood and state of being. You hardly ever get that with albums. Achtung Baby, Maxinquaye, maybe Kid A or OK Computer if I give it a half-second's thought. Or something like A Ghost Is Born.

Trouble Will Find Me fits this description better than Boxer in my mind. No huge stand-outs, but amazingly consistent with practically flawless sequencing. Not as good as some of those albums you're mentioned, but an album in the truest sense of the word, which is its biggest strength.

Thanks, phanan.

I wish they'd changed it up a little bit more, maybe given it some drums and turned it into a sad rocker like Bloodbuzz, Ohio. That could have been great.

How come? I can't imagine that.

I saw them in a half empty tent at a festival because Foo Fighters were playing at the same time (you could even hear them during the quieter songs) and it was still awesome.

I think it was the venue. All-seated and more suited to plays, opera, stand-up comedy. It felt like a funeral parlour. The gig really lacked soul, for want of a better word. Still good though.

Just a heads up: Sirius XMU will broadcast their Brooklyn show tonight.

Hmm, only available on satellite radio, or do they have some sort of online stream as well?

I'm a Sirius/XM subscriber with all the bells and whistles, and I still can never get their online streams to play for me. So I wouldn't bother with Sirius/XM's website, but maybe you were asking about a separate stream somewhere else.

tumblr_m9441f2jR81rdqhsxo1_500.gif

At the Barclays concert, where I've discovered that we have folding chairs for seats rather than the regular arena seats. Besides that, I've got an amazing view. 12th row directly across from the stage.

Back
Top Bottom