The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #466
45:33

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Well, he is an awful singer

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:59 AM
The biggest problem he has is that, as with most people with lower registers, he doesn't project well. Which means he spends much of his live performances trying to amp up the volume on his voice, which both lessens the texture of his baritone and wears his voice out so that his voice is mostly gone by two-thirds of the way through the concert. There are almost no good live versions of Mr. November vocally because his voice is usually shot by the time they play it in a typical set.

Watching the Graceless they played on Kimmel the other night is a particularly good example. Compare that to, say, the Graceless they did on the Barclays bootleg. He's just straining so much more on the latter because he's been fighting it for 16 or 17 songs at that point.

The funny thing is that both approaches, the tough but haunted baritone of the records and the exhausted, shattered baritone live both make sense with the songs. They're slightly different angles, but they're clearly the same narrator.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #468
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The biggest problem he has is that, as with most people with lower registers, he doesn't project well. Which means he spends much of his live performances trying to amp up the volume on his voice, which both lessens the texture of his baritone and wears his voice out so that his voice is mostly gone by two-thirds of the way through the concert. There are almost no good live versions of Mr. November vocally because his voice is usually shot by the time they play it in a typical set.

Watching the Graceless they played on Kimmel the other night is a particularly good example. Compare that to, say, the Graceless they did on the Barclays bootleg. He's just straining so much more on the latter because he's been fighting it for 16 or 17 songs at that point.

The funny thing is that both approaches, the tough but haunted baritone of the records and the exhausted, shattered baritone live both make sense with the songs. They're slightly different angles, but they're clearly the same narrator.
:likebutton:

A couple songs about halfway through the bootleg I thought the vocals were intentional, until it got to somewhere about graceless. It does work, and I enjoy a song like pink rabbits more when it has a worn-out ragged vocal, the album just kind of sounds bored to me. But it's not so great that it's because he's beaten up his voice by that point in a set list.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #469
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:59 AM
The intensity of the screaming can't be healthy for his voice either.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #470
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:59 AM
The National - Don't Swallow The Cap (Live on 89.3 The Current) - YouTube
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:59 AM

They make it seem so effortless...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #472
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

I raised something along these lines a while back, based on my limited observations, and everyone said they noticed nothing of the sort, I was completely wrong, etc etc.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I raised something along these lines a while back, based on my limited observations, and everyone said they noticed nothing of the sort, I was completely wrong, etc etc.
Right now it seems The National has done everyting right. They've made 4 fantastic albums in a row and have had just enough commercial success to sustain a career - without sacrificing their souls to become radio darlings (if that is possible with them).

They know their audience - and they seem to know how far they can stretch and still be true to who they are. If I were in a band - I would want to be exactly where they are - perfectly balancing their artistic integrity with semi-popular success. That being said - I hope they go away for awhile and "dream it all up again" for the next record.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #474
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh I've no quibble with their integrity, I was only referring to the thing about Matt's vocals not really projecting in the live setting (which as noted by others isn't some awful failing of his, it's just the way it rolls).

I'm not sure that they will be around for that many more years though. The odd interviews leave the impression that it might be one more record and bye-bye, just based on how they're feeling themselves.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I'm not sure that they will be around for that many more years though. The odd interviews leave the impression that it might be one more record and bye-bye, just based on how they're feeling themselves.
I would rather they quit at their peak than have a decade long decline. They've cemented their legacy.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

For sure.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #477
New Yorker

Someone pass along the Barclays bootleg to me so I can see for myself this ragged vocal of his
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #478
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Can't figure out how to do so from my phone.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You said something about how Matt "wasn't there" live. My post, while nothing the vocal differences, quite clearly says that both his live voice and studio voice are quite effective at getting the songs across.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Eh? Read it again dude. I've acknowledged he has weaker vocal performances and that he has his ups and downs. Nobody told you "you were completely wrong".

Tags
the national