The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is obnoxious how easily sea of love gets stuck in my head and stays there for weeks.

I still have not seen mistaken for strangers. I get Zack Galafafingerfuckis mixed up with Seth Rogen and I hate Seth Rogen, therefore I hate Galafafingerfuckis.

It begins today...

1231097_289178137933293_8885594185117164917_n.jpg

The more I listen to it, the more I think about it, the more I think Trouble Will Find Me is becoming one of my all-time favourite albums. I think the chorus to Heavenfaced is pretty much the only thing holding it back. I like Fireproof.

The more I listen to it, the more I think about it, the more I think Trouble Will Find Me is becoming one of my all-time favourite albums. I think the chorus to Heavenfaced is pretty much the only thing holding it back. I like Fireproof.

I finally had a connection with this album that I don't have with other National albums.

I have a huge soft spot for Heavenfaced too.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah. As much as I love High Violet i connected with this one more. It's funny because I saw a few sites claiming it was one of Matt's lesser efforts lyrically but it's the lyrics that have made me connect with it so much.

I must confess I have the opposite problem. I keep waiting for the click but it doesn't kick in. Even recently, in recent months, revisiting it after long gaps, hoping it gets better...

I'm being very careful not to rubbish it though. I respect the band and I get that it's really found a place in people's hearts.

High Violet is growing on me a lot.

I heard Alligator the other night (I'm not sure I've heard a National album during the day before tbh) for the twenty billionth time and it's like meeting up with an old friend every time.

TWFM has been awesome since day 1 and subsequent listens only confirm that. This Is the Last Time and Humiliation are top-tier Nash.

I would call Heavenfaced the one sub-par track as well, but in concert Matt sounded fantastic in that register. Amazing how smooth his voice was.

Yeah. As much as I love High Violet i connected with this one more. It's funny because I saw a few sites claiming it was one of Matt's lesser efforts lyrically but it's the lyrics that have made me connect with it so much.

Agreed about the power of the lyrics. Pink Rabbits and Don't Swallow the Cap have become songs I can only listen to on occasion because of how firmly they hit me emotionally. Plus that backing vocal from Van Etten on DStC is perfect.

Yep, me too.

I didn't ask for this pain, it just came over me.

Perfect summation of anxiety/depression, which is something TWFM deals with expertly.

Agreed about the power of the lyrics. Pink Rabbits and Don't Swallow the Cap have become songs I can only listen to on occasion because of how firmly they hit me emotionally. Plus that backing vocal from Van Etten on DStC is perfect.

It's a testament to Berninger as a lyricist, that he can articulate how people feel so vividly across a range if themes.

I've never actually been able to emotionally identify too much with the lyrics on TWFM, but Boxer on the other hand resonates wildly with me and I find that many songs on that album hit me a little too close to home sometimes. The lyrics can be very distracting if I'm supposed to be concentrating on something else (driving, work, conversation).

He's brilliant.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Alligator and TWFM are definitely the most relatable National albums for me. Karen and Demons in particular really resonate with me. There are a lot of beautiful details in the writing on these albums that brings them to life for me.

Boxer has really powerful lyrics too though, don't get me wrong. I have "I want to hurry home to you" engraved in my wedding ring.

Last edited:
Boxer has really powerful lyrics too though, don't get me wrong. I have "I want to hurry home to you" engraved in my wedding ring.

Yeah, Slow Show resonates really strongly with me as well, though for different reasons than the one you cited. I think we might have had that conversation before.

I want to hurry home and invite you all over to listen to "Heavenfaced" over and over until you agree to like it.

Available is one of the biggest adrenaline-rush songs out there. Especially if you're running, when that final part kicks in, it's almost impossible not to pick up a few paces in speed.

I agree with you. I think I even put it in my Rushmore and if I didn't it was a close contender.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using U2 Interference mobile app

Val Jester is another really underrated track. I know I've said it before, but I'd like Alligator a lot more if the tracklisting wasn't so terrible.

"What's this song called? All the Wine! Yeah! This is fucking awesome! Woo! And wow, now this fucking even more awesome song Abel! Hell yeah! Rocking end to this alb-- oh, well, all the energy and fun has just been sucked right out of this record. Well maybe once this Geese song is ov-- no, nope, it's just gotten even slower. I don't give a fuck about Tennessee Williams. Right, so that boring 10 minutes is over. This song, Mr November, sounds great, but I'm just so flat now I can't get into it. Ughh." - Me

I like Geese and City Middle a lot, for the record. But that is some bloody ordinary sequencing.

I don't think it would have worked any better (I see what you're saying, and I didn't like Geese for a while because of it + I still skip City Middle) if it ended with such a committed bang. We'd be asking why they hid all the rock songs at the end, probably complaining on how it leaves you at 10 and drops off to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom