The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lyrics really hurt Heavenfaced, I think. A very rare instance of Matt being a bit lazy.

I still think it has some great lyrics. "Let's go wait out in the fields with the ones we love" offers some melancholic apocalyptic imagery, if that makes sense.

On the other hand, "It's not a fever, it's a freezer" is a line that Boner would have no trouble writing post-2000.

I don't hate Heavenfaced myself, but it's barely there musically. It makes almost literally no impression on me. Fireplace Fireproof is a bit the same. A few songs like that would have really hurt this album, in my opinion.

I hate to agree with kieran, but I agree with kieran. Put that in your storypipe and smoke it.

I'm admittedly not a big lyrics guy. It's the last thing I listen for in music. I like heavenfaced because Matt actually took a chance with his vocals.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't understand not being a lyrics person when the lyrics are obviously front and centre. Not a personal remark, as many, many people say things like this.

Now with some artists, I wonder why they bother writing lyrics at all, so muddled and buried in the mix are they. But those are artists I barely care about anyhow.

I'm still of the opinion that "Fireproof" is the worst song they've made.

Fireproof is great. Rylan is boring. How can Fireproof be worse than the insipid shit from their debut is beyond me.

They made the right choices this time around. Not putting You Were a Kindness on High Violet... now that's another matter altogether.

I don't understand not being a lyrics person when the lyrics are obviously front and centre. Not a personal remark, as many, many people say things like this.

Now with some artists, I wonder why they bother writing lyrics at all, so muddled and buried in the mix are they. But those are artists I barely care about anyhow.

It's all about perspective and priorities. Personally, the instruments are #1 priority because I've played several different instruments in my lifetime (guitar, bass, piano, trumpet), so it's naturally the first thing I listen for. It's probably the same reason why I get annoyed with "The lyrics are bad" comments because for me they're at the bottom of my stack rank.

I'm both a writer and a musician and I get annoyed when people give lyricists a free pass on shit lyrics with "I don't care about lyrics" comments.

Fireproof is great.

I like it, though I find it more pleasant than a good song. The one change I think I would make to Trouble would be dropping Heavenfaced altogether. Sea of Love into This Is the Last Time is a much smoother transition.

Still listening to it, such a tremendous album. Definitely back the love for Slipped, but Hard to Find is easily the most underrated, I'd say. And "Jennifer you are not the only one to sit awake til the wild feelings leave you" makes Fireproof worth it alone I'd say.

I saw The National live last week in Berlin on a wonderful summer evening. The amazing StVincent was opening for them. They played almost all of their set in daylight since the concert started at around 8 p. m. It was a great set. Matt wandering off into the audience was quite funny. It took him a while to get back. It was a great show, the only beef I have is that they didn't play Anyone's Ghost, which is one of my favorites. I still think High Violet is their best album. I kind of love the first half of Trouble, but haven't been able to get into all of it.

I'm surprised they're already planning on going back to the studio. They made it seem like they were definitely going to take time off after this tour since they didn't get to between High Violet's tour and Trouble Will Find Me.

Strike while the iron is hot, I guess. This has to be the most popular they've ever been, especially considering England in that new iPad commercial.

U2 have been "in the studio" since the last tour ended, right? Right?! RIGHT??e??EE!!!!1!

They're playing in a small Dalmatian coastal town called Šibenik in a medieval fortress in one month (seating only for 800 people, or so it seems). And the next day they're playing at a festival in the same town.

These guys really love Croatia.

Wrong. Friggin' Cobbler.

Correct term is The Nationalić.

So Šibenik joins places like New York, Toronto and Austin where The National will play three nights in a row. Setlist variation is a certainty. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom