The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How were they together on stage? Only Matt was there for our Q&A. I kind of got the impression that while he loves his brother, he still finds him a pain in the arse, what with him living with them and him still being lazy and the fact that his wife seemed to do quite a bit of the legwork.

They're basically just like they are in the movie, only more relieved that the thing is done. He still hasn't moved out of their garage, so they're still bickering over shit, but in a playful way. I mean, my youngest brother is seven years my junior, so none of their dynamic seems weird or even all that notable to me. Aside from how fat Tom is compared to everyone else in his family.

The final scene of the movie with Tom and Matt going into the crowd on Terrible Love was filmed in Philly at the Academy of Music in September of 2011. No one in the crowd really noticed this until he got through the backdoor and into the hallway, where it's really recognizable that it's that venue, and the place went fucking insane because nearly everyone in the crowd had been at that show.

Nah, I was at school. I saw them at the Electric Factory in 2010. Matt wandered out to my area of the crowd during Abel, which was amazing. And our setlist was fucking stellar. So I can't complain.

I'm just now listening to High Violet on a great new pair of headphones I got, and I'm feeling pretty confident in saying Terrible Love is their finest hour so far. There are few songs I know, by anyone, where the music and production suit the lyrics so perfectly. You feel yourself being swallowed during that tornado of guitars at the end. Just brilliant.

Great show Wednesday night, Matt was very entertaining, he should really look into getting a wireless mic :wink:
I got pretty much everything I was hoping to hear so no real complaints.

1.Don't Swallow the Cap
2.I Should Live in Salt
3.Demons
4.Bloodbuzz Ohio
5.Sea of Love
6.Heavenfaced
7.Afraid of Everyone
8.Squalor Victoria
9.I Need My Girl
10.This Is the Last Time
11.Abel
12.Slow Show
13.Apartment Story
14.Pink Rabbits
15.Lucky You
16.England
17.Graceless
18.Fake Empire

Encore:
19.About Today
20.Mr. November
21.Terrible Love
22.Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

Great show Wednesday night, Matt was very entertaining, he should really look into getting a wireless mic :wink:

I got pretty much everything I was hoping to hear so no real complaints.

1.Don't Swallow the Cap

2.I Should Live in Salt

3.Demons

4.Bloodbuzz Ohio

5.Sea of Love

6.Heavenfaced

7.Afraid of Everyone

8.Squalor Victoria

9.I Need My Girl

10.This Is the Last Time

11.Abel

12.Slow Show

13.Apartment Story

14.Pink Rabbits

15.Lucky You

16.England

17.Graceless

18.Fake Empire

Encore:

19.About Today

20.Mr. November

21.Terrible Love

22.Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

:up:

I'm curious about seeing these guys live. I'm guessing being in attendance is a much greater experience than the live shows I've listened to from these guys (which is always the case). I've been underwhelmed any time I hear live bootlegs from this band. I think Matt sounds pretty awful but you guys always seem to rave about their shows.

It's too bad I live in Wisconsin where only country or late 80's hair bands play. :(

I don't know, if you don't like Matt's voice to begin with (which I get the impression is a big reason you are not as in to The National as some here) then I don't think seeing them live may help. He honestly doesn't sound much better. My wife who went with me, only likes the new album and is not much of a National fan to begin with, thought that he sounded horrible :lol:

I don't know, if you don't like Matt's voice to begin with (which I get the impression is a big reason you are not as in to The National as some here) then I don't think seeing them live may help. He honestly doesn't sound much better. My wife who went with me, only likes the new album and is not much of a National fan to begin with, thought that he sounded horrible :lol:

Ugh...yeah. I just wish he took more chances vocally. I literally did a doubletake when I first heard the end of Heavenfaced. He's obviously capable of adding another dimension.

Then again, I can be a real stickler for vocals. Same reason why I have a real hard time with Okkervil River.

I'm curious about seeing these guys live. I'm guessing being in attendance is a much greater experience than the live shows I've listened to from these guys (which is always the case). I've been underwhelmed any time I hear live bootlegs from this band. I think Matt sounds pretty awful but you guys always seem to rave about their shows.

It's too bad I live in Wisconsin where only country or late 80's hair bands play. :(

Seeing them live was what turned me into a fan. FWIW I think that Barclays boot sounds pretty awful most of the way through but they blew me away back in Feb.

Personally - and I know I've been pulled up on this before - I think Matt sounds great on record but his voice seems to lack a lot of that apparent resonance (just physically, projecting, even making himself heard over the band) in the live setting. But it would probably feel different if I was in the room. Maybe. I really do like some of the band's live work, musically. Particularly on something like Squalor Victoria.

Speaking of bootlegs are there any you all recommend from the newest album/tour? The live version if Graceless was nice on SNL.

You cannot project a deep voice like that. It loses its deepness when you get loud. I know from experience. Their live greatness has nothing to do with Matt's vocal sound.

You cannot project a deep voice like that. It loses its deepness when you get loud. I know from experience. Their live greatness has nothing to do with Matt's vocal sound.

Then what makes their live show so great? Not arguing just generally curious.

There's a few standouts for me:

Matt enjoys drinking his wine through the show and gets more energetic as a result

The band makes great use of keyboard/guitar/piano throughout the show and doesn't rely solely on a piano part or an acoustic guitar for a particular mini-set

The retro use of lighting and screen backdrops were nice

The setlist has noticeable changes day to day

No use of 30 second teaser clips of tracks during their show

Daughter as an opening act was amazing.

Nearly every song is better live. More energy, extra parts, great improvisation from Bryan, and a very full sound ever since they brought the horn guys on tour.

Actually that's a totally fair point and I hadn't really considered it that way. A little bit of a shame that they couldn't choose to maybe compensate on the sound/mixing (whatever, I'm no techie) side and give his contribution a bit of oomph.

Alright, I'm a real bitch this time.

Trouble Will Find Me has finally hit me like I hoped it would, to the point where I think I actually like it more than High Violet now.

Shit. I don't know what the deal is with this band. I seem to have no middle ground with them.

Actually that's a totally fair point and I hadn't really considered it that way. A little bit of a shame that they couldn't choose to maybe compensate on the sound/mixing (whatever, I'm no techie) side and give his contribution a bit of oomph.
Yeah, I have always thought maybe there was something they could do. His voice usually sounds a lot better when they, for example, make a television appearance. Then again, he's probably drunk and not even thinking about any of this, so who the hell knows.

I know I asked this a couple days ago, but what's everyone's favorite live recording from the most recent tour? I have an Australia FM broadcast that's pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has anything better.

The only one I have in MP3s is the Barclays show, which is not in great quality but it's alright. If the audio you are referring to is the same as the Sydney show, it's probably pretty good. I watched that video on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom