The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not seen that movie, I'm sure that won't surprise you.

As LM mentioned, there's like 15-20 songs by this band that are perfect (and England is definitely one of them). No clear-cut leader.

Oh, and I adore England

Arnold.jpg

I have not seen that movie, I'm sure that won't surprise you.

As LM mentioned, there's like 15-20 songs by this band that are perfect (and England is definitely one of them). No clear-cut leader.

I assumed you hand't but you didn't need prior knowledge of it to understand why your post reminded me of the beginning of the clip….

England is so fucking sublime….:drool:

No, and I had a good laugh when I clicked play.

I love the whole song, but especially the trumpet blast, which sort of signals the amazing crescendo.

For reasons I can't quite explain I'd always say Fake Empire if asked to pick just one.

That is basically my number one song of the decade it came from.

The moment where the horns kick in during the live version of Fake Empire is by far the best part of their show.

Really underappreciated moment: the last 10-15 seconds of Mistaken for Strangers. I'm not sure what instrument is making that sound, but it's very haunting and beautiful, a really stark contrast to the rest of the song.

At the moment my 4 would be:

Green Gloves
Secret Meeting
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Mistaken For Strangers

Could change in the next couple of minutes though. National are consistently stellar.

Really underappreciated moment: the last 10-15 seconds of Mistaken for Strangers. I'm not sure what instrument is making that sound, but it's very haunting and beautiful, a really stark contrast to the rest of the song.

Hell yes. I love that so fucking much.

It's really similar to the sound in the background of Wolf at the Door towards the end, although not as depressing. I'd love to know the instruments used, if they're the same.

14. A Wolf at the Door (It Girl. Rag Doll.) - YouTube

If I had a remote fucking clue what that line meant, I might agree.

That's the point sometimes with great lyrics. It doesn't have to mean anything concrete, but if it sounds cool and it creates great images in your head, that's a great lyric.

It helps that it probably does mean something. I mean, on some level.

Abstract lyricism can be equally effective as something that literally has meaning. But it's all relative. Lyrics that pretend to be "abstract" can just be random bullshit and the majority of wonderful lyrics mean naturally a lot of things.

That's your interpretation and that's fine. I think there's a bit more to that song.

For reasons I can't quite explain I'd always say Fake Empire if asked to pick just one.

That is basically my number one song of the decade it came from.

fake empire is how i explain why the drumming in their songs is absolutely perfect. i don't possess the musical vocabulary or something to explain it properly with words, i just go "this song...and this part especially" once it gets to the part where it starts to speed up.

i got a friend of mine from work hooked on the band mainly with fake empire, as well. i informed him at the start of the shift that i'd recently been introduced to the awesome music of this band called the national, and whether he liked it or not we would be listening to them for the whole shift. he was ok with that, liked the two or three songs i'd played first well enough. then i put on fake empire and he goes, "holy shit this is my new favorite band."

fake empire > mistaken for strangers = as strong a 1-2 album opener as any. such a great combination.

I first heard about The National on here shortly after Boxer was released. I downloaded it (legally you son of a bitch) and hated it. But I still through it in the a playlist that I shuffled through. Over the next few months, every time one of their songs came up, I found myself thinking, "this is great!" Now they are one of my fav bands.

I don't really have an explanation for the line, either; it just conjures the feeling of being someplace uncomfortable or boring and finding a way to dress it up as exotic.

According to Matt himself, it's a straightforward description of something his wife and her friend did to him during a weekend in the Hamptons.

Not really, I don't know.

A Lemonworld is an invented, sexy, weird place where you can escape from New York. I had some image of it being a big beautiful, maybe semi-decrepit house. You know the documentary Grey Gardens? It’s set in a house out in the Hamptons, it’s about this crazy mother and daughter who live there in their own little world. It’s also very depressing and odd and beautiful. Anyways, I had this sense of a Lemonworld as a place where these two sexy sisters who wear bathing suits all the time and drink a lot, y’know, “put flowers in my mouth and we can say we invented a summer lovin’ torture party” – that’s awesome! That’s sexy, weird, and fun. My wife and her sister are very close in age, they’re both hilarious and sexy and brilliant, so I think I was channeling them a little bit. It’s a fun world.

That's the point sometimes with great lyrics. It doesn't have to mean anything concrete, but if it sounds cool and it creates great images in your head, that's a great lyric.

For sure.

I love Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks too, despite that being the most ridiculous song title this side of King of Carrot Flowers.

Back
Top Bottom