The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man it was silly to sleep on Sad Songs for so long. Great album. Why don't they play Murder Me Rachel live anymore. That song fucking cooks.
Out of the rocking tunes on that album, I think it's the weakest one. Available is a classic and Slipping Husband has always been a personal favorite of mine. It's still pretty good of course.

Cardinal Song is probably on my The National rushmore.

There's also a moment in The National's career when Matt's voice changes. On Sad Songs and Alligator it's got this really cool sort of frailty to it... I'm not well versed in musical terminology but he just sounds a bit younger (duh), it sounds a little more weak, like it really befits the music and the smaller profile of the band. It sounds warm and inviting, like it's recorded really close to the mic so you can hear all the little imperfections. I'm not really sure how to describe it well, does anyone know what I'm talking about? By Boxer his voice is more polished. I think there's no doubt his voice is stronger now, but I'm glad that we have documents of his earlier vocals.
I believe in music terminology he was throat singing on the earlier albums.

"The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness" - The National
"The Homeless Wanderer" - Emahoy Tsegue-Maryam Guebrou
"Airsick" - Laurel Halo
"Biloxi" - Hiss Golden Messenger
"Fertilized" - Mouse on Mars, Cavern of Anti-Matter
"First We Take Manhattan" - Leonard Cohen
"Lime Habit" - POLICA
"La Poule [Remix]" - Hauschka
"Francis Foever" - Mitski
"That's the Way the World Goes Round" - John Prine
"Nizzagh Ijbal" - Tinariwen
"John Hardy Was a Desperate Little Man" - The Carter Family
"Muudo Hormo" - Baaba Maal, Mansour Seck
"Bashed Out" - This Is the Kit
"I Have Been to the Mountain" - Kevin Morby
"Gold Soundz" - Pavement
"Sinnerman" - Nina Simone
"Lichter" - Mouse on Mars
"Lust for Life" - Iggy Pop
"Houdini Crush" - Buke & Gase
"Medulla Oblongata" - Buke & Gase
"Terrapin Station (Suite)" - Daniel Rossen, Christopher Bear
"Section 5" - Bryce Dessner, So Percussion
"Boots of Spanish Leather" - Bob Dylan

gracias hombrecito

I only recently picked up Sad Songs. I have no idea why I refrained from it for so long. I'd always assumed that it was so detached in quality from their exceptional successive output that there was never an urgency to listen to it (kinda like Pablo Honey for Radiohead), but it sits quite sensibly preceding Alligator. I really enjoy Thirsty and Trophy Wife, and Murder Me Rachael is a wicked rocker.

It isn't. It's boring and lacks standouts. There's an ill-advised alt-country feel to it that dates it a bit too. The only really interesting song is 29 Years for its Slow Show connection. American Mary is pretty cool too.

Yeah, boring seems accurate. There are a few tracks that are pleasant enough but really nothing on it sounds like The National.

I gotta be honest, my initial reaction to that new track was a complete and utter 'meh' (not helped by the fact that IT'S COMING OUT FOUR MONTHS FROM NOW). But after giving that Pitchfork concert/whatever a few spins, this shit is growing on me significantly.

This is a good sign.

It's way better than England. That's one of their most overrated songs for me.

This album is going to be good.

Isn't it still two months until release? :lol: What a weird marketing strategy. It almost makes U2's look good.

Between them, and Arcade Fire dribbling out a song a week for no particular reason, I tend toward the 'just fucking release the thing already' view. It's highly unlikely that either album will deserve such an extended drumroll (although I do think the National's promises to be good and stuff).

Man, Aaron Dessner has really stepped up his shit on this album, loving the guitar. Not as sold as Matt on this song but I'm sure I'll warm up to it.

System Only Dreams still the best for mine.

Any Aussies looking to get presale tickets tomorrow? At $140 including fees I'll probably have to sit this one out.

Looking forward to next Friday's release though, it's been far too long since Trouble Will Find Me. Might revisit that El Vy album in the meantime.

Mate, I bought Shitney tickets for me and the missus this morning. We're going to the Melb show as well and would have done Auckland but for a friends' wedding.

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Mate, well done for getting your ass to a decent city for the show, good to treat yourself outside of Melbourne once in a while. Hope it's not too rough when you jog on home.

Probably would have stretched to it but suddenly all our disposable income is going on nappies and tiny clothes. Blah.

Shame we have to get an uber or taxi to the opera house, as your shitass city is designed like a rabbit warren and has no effective public transport.

shame you won't make it, but a good reason why not!! I can't wait. The missus is obsessed with them but has yet to see them live. I've seen them four times and will make it six in Feb.

It's called Circular Quay Station. I know they only have trams in your village but you must have heard of trains one night listening to the wireless, yes?

Whereabouts you staying?

Thanks bud! Gutted to be missing them but $280 for the wife and I plus the rest of the night just isn't happening right now. Did make sure to we LCD and Sigur Ros, but they went on sale whilst we were still pulling 2 paycheques. Hope your gf has a blast, last time on the forecourt was terrific.

It's called Circular Quay Station. I know they only have trams in your village but you must have heard of trains one night listening to the wireless, yes?

Whereabouts you staying?

Thanks bud! Gutted to be missing them but $280 for the wife and I plus the rest of the night just isn't happening right now. Did make sure to we LCD and Sigur Ros, but they went on sale whilst we were still pulling 2 paycheques. Hope your gf has a blast, last time on the forecourt was terrific.

Stations that you have to spend half an hour walking to, five minutes to get in and five minutes to get out because you can't understand the concept of a grid.

We'll stay with mates who almost literally live in an IKEA pop-up house in the inner-city, because the price of a small one-bedroom house in Sydney is more than Gina Rinehart earns in a year.

How'd you find LCD and Sigur Ros??? I saw them two nights in a row down here in Melbs, obviously very different but spectacular. I've never been on the forecourt, but it looks stunning. Hope parenthood is treating you two well.

It's a 500m walk according to google maps. If that takes you a full half hour to walk then it must be due to the sheer awe of being in a leading global city slowing you down, bro.

And you know full well it's not the price of the place but the associated avocado tax.

LCD was an all time top ten, easily. First time seeing them, the entire place was dancing all night. His vocals aren't great live, but the band was on fire. Loved the lighting, very creative without being anything over the top. Sigur Ros were grand but I wish their nights had been reversed haha.

It's 2.50am, parenthood is fun!!!1 But she's great and it's amazing watching her grow and learn every day. just as well, she'll never be able to afford her own place lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom