The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out September 8 hahahahahahah that's absurd. Why would they possibly wait that long to release it, that's just annoying. FOUR months between announcement/lead single and the album release? Wow.

That being said, that's not ultimately important, and I will listen to the song tomorrow and I am excited and I love this band and I will almost assuredly love the song and album. But that's just stupid. I could see, on May 11, announcing an album release for July 8 or August 8. But September 8? Come on.

I was expecting something different based on interviews leading up to the announcement, something more electronic, but I fuck with this. Those guitars are really damn nice, which is a facet of the band's music that I rarely take specific notice of.

Last edited:
It's good. I think they had to go in a different direction to avoid critical backlash. But I'm glad they're not going over the top like Bon Iver.

I don't really buy into the stagnation thing that a lot of people have whinged about. I mean, they definitely have a sound, but if you think TWFM all bled together then I think we must have got different copies of the album.

I fucking love this song. A guitar solo!! And then the 50 or so seconds are wonderful. It's a great song and I can't wait, although it's a huge and kind of ridiculous wait.

I don't really buy into the stagnation thing that a lot of people have whinged about. I mean, they definitely have a sound, but if you think TWFM all bled together then I think we must have got different copies of the album.

I fucking love this song. A guitar solo!! And then the 50 or so seconds are wonderful. It's a great song and I can't wait, although it's a huge and kind of ridiculous wait.

I agree re the stagnation thing, and I think they nailed a sound in this song that is respectful of where they've been, while sounding fresh and different. Pumped.

To clarify, with my post I wasn't implying that I agree that they're stagnating. As long as the songs are good, I don't care.

I really enjoyed this on first listen, more so than Demons when I first heard it.

The song sounds like it would be well out of place on TWFM, which is definitely a good thing. No resting on laurels (not that I ever thought they did. They just have a distinct sound/vibe)

Word to the mother, Australian brother.

I keep hearing the chorus as "I can't explain it, Eddie Island, Eddie Island way".

I kept thinking - This is where U2 should be. The vocals at 3:20 sounded a bit like bono's voice, and i just thought, I want to hear the Edge with some sick guitar again, with a great solo.
Love these guys and am really looking forward to the album.

Last edited:
The National - Sleep Well Beast
4AD0020

1. Nobody Else Will Be There
2. Day I Die
3. Walk It Back
4. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
5. Born to Beg
6. Turtleneck
7. Empire Line
8. I’ll Still Destroy You
9. Guilty Party
10. Carin at the Liquor Store
11. Dark Side of the Gym
12. Sleep Well Beast

And it's coming out the day after my birthday, obviously that's why they're waiting so long.

I'm SO happy that this song sounds different. We all have differing opinions about the band, but I don't know if I could've fucked with another album that sounded like the last two, not that I don't like those albums, I just wanted something new. This is going to make me appreciate the last two albums even more, more than anything else.

God I'm happy.

The National can do no wrong.....Berninger's voice and unique lyrics, drumming that sounds inhuman with pace and timing, and guitarist-brothers with composing abilities = never a bad song.

One of the best rock bands in America.

The National - Sleep Well Beast
4AD0020

1. Nobody Else Will Be There
2. Day I Die
3. Walk It Back
4. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness
5. Born to Beg
6. Turtleneck
7. Empire Line
8. I’ll Still Destroy You
9. Guilty Party
10. Carin at the Liquor Store
11. Dark Side of the Gym
12. Sleep Well Beast

Turns into a Jack Nicholson Party album near the end there.

I see Carin/Karen will be making another appearance.

Back
Top Bottom