The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's now the third night of the tour since they added a Friday night date (on sale next Thursday).

I will be there on Sunday as well.

I might still try for Fri and/or Sat since I am making it a Chicago weekend with friends and other stuff to do there. I tried for Sat this morning and got locked out in 4 minutes even though I was #200 in the queue for a venue that seats 4000.:|
Ahh the third night of the tour! Damn. That's gonna make it even harder for me to not sneak a peek at the setlists. Do I have the willpower? Hard to say.

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

New Order T-Shirt is lovely. I like the ethereal, dreamy feel it has. Can’t wait for the record, I think it’s going to be a good one as usual.

Holding a cat and a glass of beer is such a Matt lyric.

Last edited:
I'm having some trouble with how clean these songs are sounding production-wise. I don't have any issue with Dessner working in pop production; I'm just not sure it works for The National, who sound best with a little scar tissue on the songs.

I think this one will be a grower. The singles worked better in context, and the whole thing has a consistent feel to it but still clear distinctions between songs. I was worried they would lean into the style of Weird Goodbyes, which I didn't care for it, but that isn't the case. Also kudos to Taylor for working so deftly within the band's style. She could have dominated the track but works very well as a complement to Matt.

Agree on it being a grower. Tropic Morning News didn’t grab me as a single but I really enjoyed it here. Once Upon a Poolside is yet another stellar opening track, listening on headphones it felt like Matt had his arms wrapped around me.

Overall, no one song particularly jumped out at me, but none were bad or even mediocre. Looking forward to spending some time with this one as it’s getting deep into autumn outside.

The first listen take: It's probably my least favourite National record (not including the s/t as I just haven't listened to it enough). Felt like it's lacking a lot musically, just feels a bit staid, one-note, uninspired. I think iYup you're spot on about the scar tissue. I'll continue to listen though and I'm sure it will reveal more of itself to me.

The not-so-good: For some reason it really annoys me that they've made a note of saying that Sufjan, Phoebe and TayTay feature on these tracks. To me, for an artist to be listed as featured, they've really got to have a very clear part. Like, it should be "You Had Your Soul With You (feat. Gail Ann Dorsey)". The entire last album had more features than this record. You wouldn't know Sufjan is on Poolside without the credits, Phoebe is just there doing little more than harmonising on her two tracks, Taylor Swift has the clearest part, and as much as I'd love to love her vocals I'm not sure I do. Some of Matt's titles and lyrics on this album feel quite... obvious, simplistic, blunt, in a way that doesn't impress me much. Your Mind is Not Your Friend (which for the early part of it sounds like a by-numbers redo of Exile Vilify without the scar tissue, as iYup put it) is probably the worst culprit. Alien might be the first National song I've heard that I've really quite disliked.

The good: Ice Machines, that's a great song. Send for Me is a lovely closer. Once Upon a Poolside is gorgeous, dat piano. New Order T-Shirt destroyed me a little bit, with where I'm at personally, I'll have to read into the background of this record a little more, it seems quite overtly about a relationship breakdown?

which for the early part of it sounds like a by-numbers redo of Exile Vilify without the scar tissue, as iYup put it

They've used that percussive piano style with slight riff variations on so many songs now: Exile, Pink Rabbits, Carin at the Liquor Store, Light Years, Your Mind Is Not Your Friend, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Even pops up on those Taylor records that Dessner produced. Whoever plays piano for them needs to add some stylistic variation.

My review of every The National album post "Trouble Will Find Me" is summed up in 2 words: "It's fine".

I'm liking it a lot. Once Upon a Poolside is probably my favorite track after four full listens. I think it would fit perfectly on High Violet (maybe my favorite Nash album). Actually was thinking a lot about High Violet during this most recent listen. I think Eucalyptus would fit on that album as well. I feel like Frankenstein is a bit of a throwback National album in that sense. At least to me.

I've been in love with Tropic Morning News and New Order T-Shirt for weeks now and they sound just as good in context.

Your Mind Is Not Your Friend is beautiful. Phoebe's vocals stand out on that one whereas they don't make much of an impact on her other featured track. And of course it's lovely to hear Taylor. It's a cool little sequel of sorts to Coney Island.

I like the album more than I Am Easy To Find. Pumped for the show in a few weeks.

My least favorite National album since the debut, I'm afraid. I didn't like I Am Easy to Find all that much, but at least Rylan and Light Years were on that one. The highlights are low here and everything sounds the same. Bryan relegating himself to drum programming really sucks the soul out of songs that were pretty by-the-numbers to begin with. They've always utilized fairly typical chord progressions but these songs are DRY.

I disagree with Mikal though: Sleep Well Beast is leagues ahead of anything else they've done since TWFM and honestly I think it's better than that album. More variety, more experimentation...on a pure songwriting level Nothing Else Will Be There does what so much of what their recent piano ballads do, only a million times better. What a great melody and sensitive vocal performance.

I read that Matt had writer's block when putting this album together and I hope the next one shows a little more inspiration because this shit is boring. 2010s U2 boring.

Still, I'm happy for anyone who enjoys this album because I fucking love this band and absolutely do not want them to suck. I'm really sad that I don't enjoy this album.

Last edited:
It's interesting, I have no idea what my favourite National album is. I have adored all of High Violet, Trouble Will Find Me, Sleep Well Beast and I Am Easy to Find since become a fan, but I've also gotten quite fatigued by each record. Feels like a lot of their music is well-suited to a lot of listens when they're fresh, but then I get tired of them and struggle to listen to them. I agree on Sleep Well Beast, the title track, Nobody Else in particular are exceptional versions of their sound. IAETF was so refreshing to me. I'm still shattered that COVID robbed me and my ex of three front-row shows at a gorgeous theatre they last played in Australia on the High Violet tour, with Phoebe Bridgers as the opener.

IMO Boxer is their best and most fully-realized album. It's eccentric and funny without seemingly trying to be so, and unlike most of their other albums, it's concise. As much as I love them, their albums tend to feel longer than they are - Boxer is the exception.

Very much agree with the pro-Boxer and SWB sentiments here. The former a true modern classic and the latter the progression I’d been waiting for since.

This isn’t as good as those two, too early to see how it stacks up to High Violet and TWFM. But to me it’s not as “grey” as HV (something I think LM once said) and definitely not as padded as TWFM. It’s just lacking a standout single like Bloodbuzz Ohio to shake up the tempo.

They’ve almost certainly peaked.

Unfortunately, I agree with you all on the new record. But given that Matt was struggling with both writer's block and what sounds like a pretty severe depression, I feel like this is the record they had to make. I do love the opening song, This Isn't Helping, and Eucalyptus, and I'd probably like the others if they didn't all sound more or less the same without some tempo changes to break them up. Looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks to see how the new songs translate live.

For Sleep Well Beast lovers, if you haven't seen it, this is a really beautiful performance of the whole record from the 2017 record release party, that they released during the early pandemic lockdown days. Nobody Else Will Be There is just gorgeous.

Last edited:
I'm so geeked to see these fuckers on Sunday. Man. Let's rock.

You might lose your mind with happiness. Last night’s show was brilliant. The new songs suddenly sounded like National classics. I could nearly cry just thinking they almost broke up, so I’m really grateful the new record saved them.

Just a fucking stunning set. My favorite National show I've seen.

(I think this place is full of spies...I think they're onto me)

The setlists so far have been amazing, as much as I don't yet dig much of the new album (I'm sure the tracks are a lot better live too). 55 songs across four shows. Impy was there as well and looked to have an amazing time.

I'd like to see them bring Available back, I've fallen in love with that song lately.

I've been following the setlists and it seems like they've already played four or five previously unheard songs. Anyone witnessed any of these?

I've been following the setlists and it seems like they've already played four or five previously unheard songs. Anyone witnessed any of these?
Yeah they played "Tour Manager" on Sunday. I'm guessing there's a chance it's just a working title. But I liked it. It was a slowish piano ballad with a strong vocal melody and a signature Dessner looping piano line as the centerpiece of the tune.

Back
Top Bottom