The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah it's like a 10LP set I think, haha

Basically that. People are being more inconvenient than before - I remember an annoying dude heckling Cassandra Jenkins all show, including during quiet and emotional moments like Ambiguous Norway. Adrienne Lenker also posted something about how disrespectful people were with the opener in their shows, basically loud nonstop chatting (are people also louder now? Seems that way). People also seem to be annoyingly drunk/high more often. Not to mention the whole not masking at shows thing throughout the pandemic (even like a year and a half ago when concerts were starting again).

Heckling her how?!?!

I even, god help me, watched the entire six hours of their performance of Sorrow that they put up on youtube for pandemic entertainment. (Does everyone know what I'm talking about? Forgive me for not scrolling back to see.) I sat on my couch and watched Sorrow over and over and over for six hours and, in solidarity with the band who did not stop playing during the filming of that performance piece, I did not leave the couch. Not for water, not for food, not to pee. Six hours of Sorrow. And it was fucking amazing. And cathartic.

Amazing effort!! Were you in a meditative state?

I even, god help me, watched the entire six hours of their performance of Sorrow that they put up on youtube for pandemic entertainment. (Does everyone know what I'm talking about? Forgive me for not scrolling back to see.) I sat on my couch and watched Sorrow over and over and over for six hours and, in solidarity with the band who did not stop playing during the filming of that performance piece, I did not leave the couch. Not for water, not for food, not to pee. Six hours of Sorrow. And it was fucking amazing. And cathartic.

You're on another level, my friend. That's really cool.

Amazing effort!! Were you in a meditative state?

Nope! I did doze off for maybe 20 minutes sometime during hour 4, but mostly I alternated between being vertical and horizontal throughout. Obviously, I didn't have to do it this way, but since the band was committed to their roles, I was committed to being on the couch. I generally enjoy weird performance art and liked the feeling of accomplishment from having participated. I'd do it again!

I knew about the MoMA performance when it happened, but I missed the fact that it was then released on vinyl, which I cannot fathom listening to. The fun was watching the band go through this (plus amusing commentary from Matt et al. in the live chat). If you were just listening, you didn't see when Bryce just about gave up and started using a bow, or when staff brought a tray of food onstage for them to grab a bite during someone else's solo, or the way they went from being all suited-up, bright and shiny, to being sweaty and disheveled, looking like the saddest sacks on New Year's Day after a wild night, barely holding it together. Nevertheless, they persisted, as did I.

I remember thinking about going to that show - it was free in PS1, which was a very cool scene at the time - but couldn’t muster the energy to see them playing Sorrow over and over again.

I remember thinking about going to that show - it was free in PS1, which was a very cool scene at the time - but couldn’t muster the energy to see them playing Sorrow over and over again.

I assumed it was more like an art installation, where you wander in and out as you please? Stay for a few rounds and be on your way? It's not a favorite song of mine by any means.

I assumed it was more like an art installation, where you wander in and out as you please? Stay for a few rounds and be on your way? It's not a favorite song of mine by any means.

Yeah, but it still got pretty crowded and concert-like. I remember reading at the time that a sizable crowd stayed throughout.

I miss the days when they would do really special things in NYC. I once put my email on a website announcing a special event with them and found an envelope in my mailbox a few days later (yeah, this was like 10 years ago) with tickets for an invitation-only show at the Park Ave Armory (gorgeous location) for the release of Trouble Will Find Me. They also played a show at my local Apple Store (lame, I know) for the release of Sleep Well Beast. First time I heard Guilty Party and immediately fell in love. They played random bars and the like throughout. And then they organized There is No Leaving New York and played two completely distinct setlists on back to back days, my second favorite The National experience (after a tiny club show I saw in Lausanne in like 2007, in a room for 300 people at most).

Now that they are gone from the city they don’t even stop by on tour!

Last edited:
In other news:

I really like it. Kind of funny how it starts with what sounds unmistakably like a Bon Iver beat and quintessential National piano chords, but I like how Matt and Justin Vernon blend in well in the verses.

Not just because of the collaboration but also the more atmospheric sound, this sounds like a natural continuation from I Am Easy to Find, with some Sleep Well Beast touches. I think some people will be displeased about its minimalist nature, and lack of Bryan drumming, but I really dig it.

Last edited:
Gets better as it goes along, and it's certainly good, but hoo boy is it familiar.

I struggle to listen to High Violet, Trouble and Sleep Well Beast these days because I think I exhausted myself on their sound a bit.

Yeah, the intro sounds almost exactly like Guity Party with a different beat.

The new songs I heard live last month had more character - I remember a bit of a Talking Heads vibe in them. Hopefully the album pushes more in that direction. And tbh it seems like a law was passed a few years ago that Vernon has to guest on 50% of albums released each year.

I hope so. I Am Easy to Find was a very refreshing record, I love the direction they went, and I'm sad that they've deserted all the songs live in favour of some pretty uninspiring setlists.

You know what The National really doesn't need to do? Replace Bryan Devendorf with a fucking drum machine.

I'm hearing the new song a lot on Sirius XMU. My main thought is it's one of those songs that could be over in 45 seconds and not lose anything. It doesn't seem to reveal anything as it pushes forward.

Has anyone listened to Cherry Tree Vol. 4? It’s such a good show (for those who don’t know, an Alligator era tour, set list below). You can hear the small club atmosphere, which reminds me so much of the first time I saw them. Just great stuff all around, especially the versions of Available and Abel.

01. Secret Meeting
02. Lit Up
03. The Geese of Beverly Road
04. Baby We’ll Be Fine
05. Cherry Tree
06. Abel
07. Wasp Nest
08. Murder Me Rachael
09. All the Wine
10. Looking for Astronauts
11. Daughters of the Soho Riots
12. Mr. November
13. About Today
14. City Middle
15. Available
16. Cold Girl Fever

Supposedly this is the leaked tracklist:

1. Once Upon A Poolside (feat. Sufjan Stevens)
2. Eucalyptus
3. New Order T-Shirt
4. This Isn't Helping (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
5. Tropic Morning News
6. Alien
7. The Alcott (With Taylor Swift)
8. Grease In Your Hair
9. Ice Machines
10. Your Mind Is Not Your Friend (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
11. Send For Me

The single does sound cool after one listen. Bright and uptempo and guitar-driven.

I'm looking at going to the tour opener on May 20.

So I guess the Dessner-Taylor Swift collaboration means they get to headline MSG with Patti Smith opening.

I do like the single.

I hate the cover and the Tropic Morning News sounds like every other National song, which is to say I like it. I am still really grumpy that the pandemic robbed us of the full I Am Easy to Find experience, which is probably my favourite National record now.

New boygenius too, more excited for that at this stage, the three singles are excellent.

They played Barclays for Trouble Will Find Me…

Yes, I was there. It wasn't full. And Barclays is not MSG (as much as Brooklyn Nets fans would like it to be).

Funnily, I did see them at MSG once, when they opened for REM and Modest Mouse 15 years ago. How times have changed.

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Yes, I was there. It wasn't full. And Barclays is not MSG (as much as Brooklyn Nets fans would like it to be).

Funnily, I did see them at MSG once, when they opened for REM and Modest Mouse 15 years ago. How times have changed.

Was there for both as well. The barrier to entry for headlining MSG ain’t what it used to be. Barclays in 2013 was more a result of the the post-High Violet hype (and numerous NYC shows and venues played for that tour).

Last edited:
Got tickets to the Auditorium Theatre, May 21!!! It's the second night of the tour.

I always look at the recent setlists of artists when I see them in concert but for this I'll try my best to not look at the set from the previous night. It'll add to the surprise. Even though I'm sure there will be at least a few differences between night 1 and night 2. Let's go.

I'm going to the MSG show, and really looking forward to seeing Patti Smith there too.

Got tickets to the Auditorium Theatre, May 21!!! It's the second night of the tour..

It's now the third night of the tour since they added a Friday night date (on sale next Thursday).

I will be there on Sunday as well.

I might still try for Fri and/or Sat since I am making it a Chicago weekend with friends and other stuff to do there. I tried for Sat this morning and got locked out in 4 minutes even though I was #200 in the queue for a venue that seats 4000.:|

Back
Top Bottom