The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like LM and djerdap you've not seen the film? That would explain a lot imo.

I have seen the film before I had written my thoughts here - hence my Passengers comparison. The songs worked quite well with it, but it is notable that the film is almost 40 minutes shorter than the record itself (which made the listening experience more enjoyable). I missed Where is Her Head though.

Last edited:
Light Years is just about perfect, but I wish they would have done an ambient coda a-la Carrie & Lowell to close it out.

Alright, so when I first listened to this album, I gave it a 3/5 on Rateyourmusic even though I didn't enjoy it much at all, assuming that in time I would come around to it. Nearly a week later, I can say it's earned that 3/5 and perhaps more. It hasn't climbed in the rankings, but my disappointment and irritation over the collaborations has lessened and I can better appreciate the songs for what they are.

The problem is that I still don't find very many of these songs among their best work in terms of the nuts and bolts of writing: the lyrics and melodies. The band's classic sound is certainly there, austere, bright and cold, but I am having a difficult time remembering these songs as individual units when they end. Most of them pass just fine as songs by The National, appropriate enough for a film soundtrack, but in terms of tunefulness (think Fake Empire, All the Wine), nothing sticks. And Matt is just doing his thing here as a lyricist: confessional, quirky and unique to his style. Nothing that matches the disarming black humor of Karen or weird non sequitur poetry of Baby We'll Be Fine, but that was a long time ago. Matt became a lot more direct starting with TWFM and I've had to adjust to that.

One very concrete complaint I have is that the interludes could have been better integrated or else not used at all. Her Father in the Pool and Underwater hardly stand alone and the latter actively hurts the flow between Rylan and Light Years. Almost feels like the album is on shuffle. Dust Swirls in Strange Light is an odd thing, not much of a song but full of interesting moments. It's their first time using interlude tracks like these and I don't think they add a lot to the album experience, but I like the impulse.

Speaking of Light Years, that's the best track on the album and a gem by any standards. Great melody that had me singing along as early as my second listen, tasteful arrangement, emotive Matt vocal. Instant classic. Rylan is really good too, very sturdy beat and workable melody, and it has my favorite use of backing vocals on the album. Where Is Her Head has the energy I'm looking for elsewhere on the album and I really like its abstract lyrical approach. So Far So Fast isn't a track I remember for its melody but I think it's a keeper for its kitchen sink arrangement and patient outro.

So hey, a lot of improvements after giving it some time. I'm pretty far from considering it a favorite National record, but the experience is enjoyable. I don't think the album drags by any means, but there are tracks that pass me by completely and maybe they didn't need to be here. I wouldn't mind a more brisk and upbeat 40-45 minute album next time. Wouldn't that be experimental?

Last edited:
You're bang on about Where is Her Head, it is stunning, and definitely on my Rushmore so far, alongside Rylan, I Am Easy to Find and So Far So Fast.

I missed this before, but the title track definitely deserves more love. "There's a million little battles that I'm never gonna win anyways" is a pretty strong one-line description of life.

Alright, so when I first listened to this album, I gave it a 3/5 on Rateyourmusic even though I didn't enjoy it much at all, assuming that in time I would come around to it. Nearly a week later, I can say it's earned that 3/5 and perhaps more. It hasn't climbed in the rankings, but my disappointment and irritation over the collaborations has lessened and I can better appreciate the songs for what they are.

The problem is that I still don't find very many of these songs among their best work in terms of the nuts and bolts of writing: the lyrics and melodies. The band's classic sound is certainly there, austere, bright and cold, but I am having a difficult time remembering these songs as individual units when they end. Most of them pass just fine as songs by The National, appropriate enough for a film soundtrack, but in terms of tunefulness (think Fake Empire, All the Wine), nothing sticks. And Matt is just doing his thing here as a lyricist: confessional, quirky and unique to his style. Nothing that matches the disarming black humor of Karen or weird non sequitur poetry of Baby We'll Be Fine, but that was a long time ago. Matt became a lot more direct starting with TWFM and I've had to adjust to that.

One very concrete complaint I have is that the interludes could have been better integrated or else not used at all. Her Father in the Pool and Underwater hardly stand alone and the latter actively hurts the flow between Rylan and Light Years. Almost feels like the album is on shuffle. Dust Swirls in Strange Light is an odd thing, not much of a song but full of interesting moments. It's their first time using interlude tracks like these and I don't think they add a lot to the album experience, but I like the impulse.

Speaking of Light Years, that's the best track on the album and a gem by any standards. Great melody that had me singing along as early as my second listen, tasteful arrangement, emotive Matt vocal. Instant classic. Rylan is really good too, very sturdy beat and workable melody, and it has my favorite use of backing vocals on the album. Where Is Her Head has the energy I'm looking for elsewhere on the album and I really like its abstract lyrical approach. So Far So Fast isn't a track I remember for its melody but I think it's a keeper for its kitchen sink arrangement and patient outro.

So hey, a lot of improvements after giving it some time. I'm pretty far from considering it a favorite National record, but the experience is enjoyable. I don't think the album drags by any means, but there are tracks that pass me by completely and maybe they didn't need to be here. I wouldn't mind a more brisk and upbeat 40-45 minute album next time. Wouldn't that be experimental?

:up::up::up:

And FWIW, I agree on the interludes. Father in the Pool and Underwater are almost completely useless. Luckily they're both super short.

I disagree about the melodies, tho, as I'm finding quite a lot of the songs are sticking in my head.

I missed this before, but the title track definitely deserves more love. "There's a million little battles that I'm never gonna win anyways" is a pretty strong one-line description of life.

It's a real gut punch. The way "still waiting for you every night with ticker tape / ticker tape" is sung, phwoar.

1 - Alligator

2/3 (tied) - High Violet, Trouble Will Find Me

4 - Boxer

5/6 (tied) - Sleep Well Beast, I Am Easy To Find

7 - Sad Songs

8 - Self-titled

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Five songs to go on my first listen through the new record. I think there are some beautiful moments here.

The guest singers are a little disarming to begin, but the vibe reminds me of Rewind the Film by Manic Street Preachers. That’s a record where now I can’t imagine it without the guest vocalists. Lots of potential for me to fall in love with this record.

An incredible soul on the National FB group I'm in has made a live version of the album, taking the audio from the pre-release shows, and it sounds fucking amazing. If anyone wants it, let me know.

An incredible soul on the National FB group I'm in has made a live version of the album, taking the audio from the pre-release shows, and it sounds fucking amazing. If anyone wants it, let me know.

Please!

I had a nice unplanned moment yesterday where listening to the title track, I was walking through autumn leaf covered gardens with the sun shining through the trees at just the right angle to give that perfect late-autumn vibe. The song just amplified that feeling of calm and beauty that you can feel with the outside world sometimes. When I reached the edge of the gardens, the sun had gone behind the clouds again.

It feels like this album will need quite a few listens before I get a good sense of it.

It’s a really good album. It’s hitting me emotionally because I’m in a weird two month dating/relationship that’s been frustrating, happy and sad. The National’s music coincides with these feelings I guess.

Swayed by some of the negative comments I read in here, I avoided listening to the album until yesterday because I didn't want to be disappointed by one of my favourite bands.

I am happy to report that I really like the album. It is not my favourite of theirs by any means, but it's still really good. Really digging You Had Your Soul with You, Quiet Light, I Am Easy to Find, Not in Kansan, Hairpin Turns, Rylan, and Light Years.

Anyway, seeing them in Montreal in 2 weeks. Looking forward to it.

Man, I really like the new album but I'm afraid this tour's setlists are going to be a bit disappointing for me. I'll still have a great time at the show but tonight they played only four pre-Trouble Will Find Me songs. Four seems low. No Fake Empire or Bloodbuzz? Hmmmm. Interesting.

I say swap out two or three total of the seven TWFM/SWB tracks for two or three tracks total from Alligator/Boxer/High Violet and we're getting warmer. Even it out a bit.

Hard to Find? It'd be hard to find a National song that I'd be less excited to hear live in concert.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm probably jumping the gun because this was just the first show of the tour. But that setlist is not super inspiring.

Last edited:
It's not super interesting, but not surprising. It's what they're feeling at the moment. They change their setlist every night. I'm sure more Boxer & Alligator songs will find their way in eventually but they can't please everyone.

It's what they're feeling at the moment.

Well, fucking duh. I realize that, I'm just saying it's not going to be my favorite tour setlist-wise.

And they don't change the setlist *that much* every night. There are always a few changes but the bones of the set stay the same. This ain't Pearl Jam or some shit.

I saw them last night in Brooklyn, and while I would swap a few things - The Pull of You and So Far, So Fast don't need to be played live every night - I think it worked pretty well as a cohesive show.

I was really happy with their choice of more recent songs: This is the Last Time (my favorite off that album), Graceless, I Need My Girl and Guilty Party in particular. I feel they all go well with the new songs. At some point, I thought they were going to skip Boxer altogether, which I wouldn't have minded even though it's my favorite album. Those songs have been covered well in the recent tours.

Really great to hear Geese of Beverly Road a few blocks a way from the actual Beverly Road (they did the same thing last time they played in Prospect Park several years ago). Such a gorgeous song.

Where Is Her Head had some mixing issues (Matt's voice was too low), but it was a monster live. Rylan, Quiet Light (that moment Matt comes in) and Oblivions were also pretty great live, and I'm glad they found another closer as the Vanderlyle singalong has run its course.

Also, don't say they don't have a sense of humor. They played Hard to Find and I Am Easy to Find back to back in Philadelphia!

How did HTF-IAETF go down? Did they comment on the humour in that?

Setlists are looking great. All the Wine and Abel are my white whales.

Also, I cannot agree on Vanderlyle, at all. I think it's such a special way to end their concerts and I hope it finds its way back into the rotation. It's their 40, if you ask me.

I'm stoked. I really thought we'd get skipped on this tour. And to have intimate shows, what an absolute blessing. Cherry Tree presale on Saturday, hoping it won't be too hard to get tix to all three through that.

I saw them last night in Brooklyn, and while I would swap a few things - The Pull of You and So Far, So Fast don't need to be played live every night - I think it worked pretty well as a cohesive show.

I was really happy with their choice of more recent songs: This is the Last Time (my favorite off that album), Graceless, I Need My Girl and Guilty Party in particular. I feel they all go well with the new songs. At some point, I thought they were going to skip Boxer altogether, which I wouldn't have minded even though it's my favorite album. Those songs have been covered well in the recent tours.

Really great to hear Geese of Beverly Road a few blocks a way from the actual Beverly Road (they did the same thing last time they played in Prospect Park several years ago). Such a gorgeous song.

Where Is Her Head had some mixing issues (Matt's voice was too low), but it was a monster live. Rylan, Quiet Light (that moment Matt comes in) and Oblivions were also pretty great live, and I'm glad they found another closer as the Vanderlyle singalong has run its course.

Also, don't say they don't have a sense of humor. They played Hard to Find and I Am Easy to Find back to back in Philadelphia!

Hey, gump how r u doing? (We're still over in fym)

extra money constraints and therefore choices of past 20 yrs have kept me away from concerts unless they are free, very low cost, or I can listen to from outside in non-humid 90°F (32.2°C) or less temperatures. Which means i've missed a bunch of good outside shows in the summer.
(I get lent $ for U2 shows)

I don't know much at all about their work- about every few years since 2010 i've liked what i heard on indie university radio.
But i did hear them live (couldn't get near the venue but they were loud enough) in 2007, and liked them. So i've kept an ear out for them.
Liked what i heard on late night tv late last week, too.

Enjoy your upcoming shows!

Maybe an odd opinion but I think this album, which is already very good, would be incredible if it began at the title track. I don't know if anyone would be mourning the loss of Roman Holiday and Hey Rosey, for example.

I think odd is an understatement, I think that's a fucked opinion. You'd cut Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, Oblivions, Pull of You as well? That's insane. And I love those two songs you mentioned.

I asked Emily what she thought about this opinion and she replied that you can go fuck yourself.

They kind of drag the show a bit. Ok, you can keep The Pull of You (I guess I was thinking of Hey Rosey and not The Pull of You), but I stand by my opinion re. So Far So Fast. Gorgeous song. Should not be played every day. Rotate it and Hey Rosey. They are at a point where there's simply too much stuff in their back catalog that they should cover from time to time.

Forgot to mention something that happens at the show: the venue screwed up with the lines, which made me miss Courtney Barnett's opening act (or rather, I heard the whole thing from the line). It was infuriating. I tweeted some complaints at the venue, and Courtney's staff reached out to say that they could include me in their list of invitees for the next day. Sadly I had something I couldn't avoid so I didn't make it, but pretty cool of her staff to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom