The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:22 AM

Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Dalton...

Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I once heard Fireproof on a German flight waiting to take off. A very odd selection.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:22 AM
My feed went down, anyone know what song they played between Walk It Back and Blood Buzz?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #275
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Don't Swallow The Cap
Old 09-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #276
Refugee

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Had a few Spotify plays over the past week, but last night the wife and I finally got to sit down with the vinyl and a bottle of red.

For starters, this sounds gorgeous on wax. Nobody Else Will Be There sets such a mood, from the skittering electronics to the mournful piano and especially to Matt's vocals just enveloping the room. Fantastic transition to Day I Die as previously said. Love the way that his vocals in System... come forward in the mix at the "I can't explain it..." part.

But overall I might prefer the second half to the first. There's not a dud moment, whereas I could do without the audio recording at the end of Walk it Back and most of Born to Beg. Will be interesting to see how Turtleneck holds up. The climax of I'll Still Destroy You is a beast that stopped us mid sentence. Dark Side of the Gym is as beautiful as Carin at the Liquor Store is devestating. And then you've got Empire Line, Guilty Party and the title track gaining more resonance with each listen.

Boxer is an all timer for me, so it's great to have a return to that atmospheric, baroque sound with some new elements pushing it forward. I think Phils and iYup called it with regards to Trouble Will Find Me, some of the ballads just drag on and bring down the album slightly. Cutting Fireproof, Heavenfaced and Slipped would result in a very strong 10 track record imo. And High Violet just feels like it's missing something, despite most of the tracks being great. It can come off too dreary at times, as opposed to a wonderful gloom.

And maybe it was the wine, but I went onto Amazon and nabbed a vinyl copy of The Bomb. Rereading some of the old comments here of the cd vs vinyl I'm looking forward to CoBL and AMaaW providing revelatory experiences.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 AM
The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
Cutting Fireproof, Heavenfaced and Slipped would result in a very strong 10 track record imo.

Oh man, never cut Slipped. "Fun" story about that song: I spent the Spring falling in love with an incredible woman, but one with whom I had some major differences which the two of us worried would be unbridgeable. We eventually indeed decided that we needed to end the relationship due to those differences, on the second day of summer, in Dallas, right after she had just moved up from Austin to Dallas. A certain line from Slipped gets me every time:

"It'll be summer in Dallas before you realize that I'll never be anything you ever want me to be."

I spent the whole Spring hoping, praying that that wouldn't come true, and then it did. Haunting lyric to me. I love that song.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Nobody Else Will Be There is becoming one of my favorite National songs. I love how broken Matt's voice sounds in the opening verse.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Oh man, never cut Slipped. "Fun" story about that song: I spent the Spring falling in love with an incredible woman, but one with whom I had some major differences which the two of us worried would be unbridgeable. We eventually indeed decided that we needed to end the relationship due to those differences, on the second day of summer, in Dallas, right after she had just moved up from Austin to Dallas. A certain line from Slipped gets me every time:

"It'll be summer in Dallas before you realize that I'll never be anything you ever want me to be."

I spent the whole Spring hoping, praying that that wouldn't come true, and then it did. Haunting lyric to me. I love that song.
Yeah Slipped is a strong lyrical song. I'm partial to "I can't blame you for losing your mind for a little while - so did I."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
Nobody Else Will Be There is becoming one of my favorite National songs. I love how broken Matt's voice sounds in the opening verse.
Yes and yes.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #280
The Male

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Slipped has such a nice melody. I think there was a period where I considered that song a low point, but it has quietly worked its way up the list.

Totally on board with kicking Fireproof and Heavenfaced off the island though.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #281
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Slipped is the only song I'd certainly cut off Trouble. It's a bit of a bore for me. Fireproof isn't essential but it's nice enough. Heavenfaced has a great ending which makes it deserving of its place.

As a whole I'd still put Trouble above High Violet and slightly above or on par with Boxer. The former has steadily gone down in my estimation. It's now my least favorite record bar the debut which I still haven't heard. Boxer, on the other hand, has gone in the other direction.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Slipped has such a nice melody. I think there was a period where I considered that song a low point, but it has quietly worked its way up the list.

Totally on board with kicking Fireproof and Heavenfaced off the island though.
I'd remove Fireproof, Heavenfaced, and Hard to Find. Pink Rabbits would work spectacularly as a closer anyway. Throw Sunshine on My Back onto the album somewhere as well to round it out.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Man, I just love the whole thing. I couldn't imagine removing any songs. It's probably their only album I could say that for.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #284
45:33

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Does ANYONE else not soar when they hear the Lemon piano line in Empire Line?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post

Oh man, that's heavy

I fucking adore Slipped, it left me a mess on more than a few occasions, similarly having feelings for someone who didn't reciprocate it. I will not hear a bad word about Slipped, it is absolutely tremendous.

Fireproof, Heavenfaced and Hard to Find definitely the three bottom tracks on TWFM, although there's something to love in each of them, so I don't mind them being on there.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #285
45:33

Local Time: 08:22 PM
The last four songs are perfect. Such such beautiful songs. And I deeply adore the mumbling vocals on the album's bookends, Nobody Else Will Be There and Sleep Well Beast. Tremendously well done, and reminds me a lot of Pop-era Bono. Overall, the album still just isn't click with me, which breaks my heart. Might just be a real slow grower. Definitely has some amazing moments, but a lot of it just leaves me shrugging my shoulders a bit.