The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm spamming this thread cos I've been playing Vanderlyle like there's no tomorrow and still enthralled. It's true what they say, you never forget your first... :love:

Yeah at the start I was like "what the fuck are they doing, this isn't going to work", but there was something really beautiful about the quietness, and the pockets of the crowd who knew certain parts.

They just did an interview on radio here, and Matt said they want to lose the "miserablist" image, but "it might be in our DNA".

I love this band for many reasons but I love how even a song as depressing as Exile Vilify kind of makes me happy in a way... their depressing songs still get stuck in your head.

blueeyedgirl said:
Also, is it their usual practice to show some really jumpy vision of them backstage just before they come on? Entertaining if just to watch Matt chuck a lot of icecubes into his wine glass and then wander up the hallway to the stage. And I hope that was some good South Australian shiraz he was guzzling :cute:

Yeah they did that at Harvest.

I was playing The National for days after the gig I saw. Their songs get stuck in your head.

I can't believe how much Alligator has grown on me in the last few months. Perhaps it's just my general mood these days, but even a song like City Middle, which I once thought had no business on the album, I now regard as nothing short of brilliant. That background chanting at the end is positively haunting, as well as the "overwhelmed/thinking out loud" lyrics.

Yeah, City Middle has a lot going for it. I think it could be 30 seconds to a minute shorter, but it's got so much great shit in it. Terrific lyrics, unsettling atmosphere and IMO logical placement on the record. I love it after Geese.

Damn. I'm surprised that you didn't like City Middle for a long time, iron yuppie.

That's probably a Top 5 National song for me.

"I'm on a good mixture, I do not want to waste it..."

It's such a hard call for me, really. I just don't think that I can single out even two or three as my favorites. Fake Empire is stunning, though.

City Middle is a classic. The more random drunk experiences I have in college, the more Alligator just makes a ton of sense.

OK I've copied this off the Nash's site, Adelaide's setlist (the order for the main set might be out).

Runaway
Anyone's Ghost
Mistaken for Strangers
Slow Show
Bloodbuzz
Brainy
Afraid of Everyone
Squalor Victoria
Abel
Conversation 16
Little Faith
Son
Sorrow
Daughters of the Soho Riots
England
Fake Empire

Encore:
About Today
Mr November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle

OK I've copied this off the Nash's site, Adelaide's setlist (the order for the main set might be out).

Runaway
Anyone's Ghost
Mistaken for Strangers
Slow Show
Bloodbuzz
Brainy
Afraid of Everyone
Squalor Victoria
Abel
Conversation 16
Little Faith
Son
Sorrow
Daughters of the Soho Riots
England
Fake Empire

Encore:
About Today
Mr November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle

Nice set list! :up:

A couple of top 10 lists from The National and nobody mentions Available?

Guys. That song is a monster.

I am am still yet to hear half their songs but I'll hazard a go at my top 5:

Mistaken For Strangers
Sorrow
Mr November
Murder Me Rachael
Lemonworld

Cardinal Song
Available
All Dolled-up in Straps
Karen
The Geese of Beverly Road
City Middle
Brainy
Fake Empire
Gospel
Afraid of Everyone

I could go on and on.

Bloodbuzz Ohio
Mr. November
Brainy
Terrible Love
The Geese of Beverly Road
You Were a Kindness
Exile Vilify
Green Gloves
Available
Tall Saint

Fake Empire is the best song of the last ten years.

Ok, that's a bullshit pulled-from-the-ass observation, but it's not as though one could dismiss it without at least a few moments' reflection.

Also, I'm a bit surprised to see Apartment Story held in such high regard. It's a great song, but it wouldn't rank even within the top five from Boxer in my estimation - not that my estimation is canonical, or even worth considering for that matter.

Apartment Story strikes me as one of the most uniquely romantic songs of the last decade, and I love the odd structure to the verses and choruses and bridges and whatever. "Tired and wired we ruin too easy" is one of my favorite lines as well.

Yeah, it's the best.

Thank god that iron yuppie's estimation isn't canonical. We'd all be fucking doomed.

I should probably put a :wink: with that, because I'm just messin around.

But I don't play that shit. Smilies are for people that don't have either Apartment Story or Fake Empire in their top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom