The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that I don't see High Violet as any darker than its predecessors. Sad Songs, Alligator, and Boxer may have some faster, harder-edged songs, but the subject matter of all three is thoroughly depressing. Alligator is dominated by the bitter anxiety of coming of age in an uncertain world, and Boxer by a fruitless search for identity. Then there is Sad Songs, which is an extended outpouring of emotional trauma. No National album has ever been a laugh riot.

Yeah, I don't see how High Violet is such a dark departure.

The main thing for me? They've released some songs since High Violet, and they've been awesome. Exile Vilify is an incredible song.

I guess that I don't see High Violet as any darker than its predecessors. Sad Songs, Alligator, and Boxer may have some faster, harder-edged songs, but the subject matter of all three is thoroughly depressing. Alligator is dominated by the bitter anxiety of coming of age in an uncertain world, and Boxer by a fruitless search for identity. Then there is Sad Songs, which is an extended outpouring of emotional trauma. No National album has ever been a laugh riot.

I never wanted a laugh riot. High Violet doesn't reach their lowest emotional levels by any stretch; it also doesn't have a lot of bright spots. It doesn't have much that grabs me either way, good as the songwriting is.

Exile Vilify is, to me, more interesting in its music and production than anything on High Violet. The swelling strings really swallow the listener whole and get you engaged in the track. Matt sounds so distant that you end up listening to him more closely than ever; I love his vocal melody in the chorus. It's a beautiful track that eschews the typical rock arrangement to far greater gains. Ultimately, it gets me excited for the band's future, even if I'm not the biggest fan of their newest album.

Oh, and for the record, I couldn't care less what does or doesn't happen to the size of their collective fanbase. The National are a band that speaks to me individually, and if I feel like their music has gotten more general and less intimate, that to me is a loss of quality. As long as their songs have those special lyrical and musical moments that smack of personal experience and care, they will be a great band. The day they start writing generic love/hate songs with really bombastic production is the day we're all fucked.

Seeing them at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. I believe they will be playing at least part of the show with a string quarter.

While this band hasn't quite CLICKed for me yet, I'm looking forward to getting another opportunity to give it a go. When they opened for R.E.M. a few years back at a other revered venue (Madison Sq Garden) I didn't make it in time for their set and only was able to suffer through Modest Mouse.

They played Thirsty at the last two concerts. :drool:

Gotta love the Sad Songs love they're showing on this tour. I prefer that album over Boxer and High Violet by far.

Yeah Thirsty was played tonight and dedicated to 9/11 or something. Though he said the band hadn't played it in years so he must be a LIAR like Boner.

Also some of you will be pleased (and jealous) to hear that Annie Clark a.k.a. St. Vincent showed up as a surprise guest, sang b.vocals and played guitar on a couple songs, and then sang a verse on Afraid Of Everyone (had to look that title up).

I really enjoyed the music a lot. Matt Berninger's vocals are something I'm struggling with, however. The staccato monotone works on some songs, on others it just doesn't. I also find some of his occasional screaming to be a little forced. There are some tracks where he does emote successfully and the difference is appreciated. I do respect his writing a lot, I just don't think his delivery complements the songs half the time. :shrug:

Also, Sharon van Etten came back out and sang b.vocals on a song that he said was written for the recent film Win Win.

One cool thing Berninger did was mention how there was a clock on stage telling them how much time they had left to play. He then held it up and faced it towards the audience for one song. At the end of the show, during the last song, he held it aloft as it ticked off the remaining 30-40 seconds as the band played off.

The song before that he waded pretty deep into the crowd and was I think at some point held up by fans.

There was a horn section that played throughout the whole show and really worked well with the band.

he got surfed way far out in the crowd in boston, I was a little surprised he stayed afloat that long.

Yeah Thirsty was played tonight and dedicated to 9/11 or something. Though he said the band hadn't played it in years so he must be a LIAR like Boner.

Also some of you will be pleased (and jealous) to hear that Annie Clark a.k.a. St. Vincent showed up as a surprise guest, sang b.vocals and played guitar on a couple songs, and then sang a verse on Afraid Of Everyone (had to look that title up).

I really enjoyed the music a lot. Matt Berninger's vocals are something I'm struggling with, however. The staccato monotone works on some songs, on others it just doesn't. I also find some of his occasional screaming to be a little forced. There are some tracks where he does emote successfully and the difference is appreciated. I do respect his writing a lot, I just don't think his delivery complements the songs half the time. :shrug:

Also, Sharon van Etten came back out and sang b.vocals on a song that he said was written for the recent film Win Win.

One cool thing Berninger did was mention how there was a clock on stage telling them how much time they had left to play. He then held it up and faced it towards the audience for one song. At the end of the show, during the last song, he held it aloft as it ticked off the remaining 30-40 seconds as the band played off.

The song before that he waded pretty deep into the crowd and was I think at some point held up by fans.

There was a horn section that played throughout the whole show and really worked well with the band.
He usually goes into the crowd during Mr. November, Abel, or Terrible Love. It's a lot of fun.

Yeah, it was Mr. November.

I was hoping for a response to my criticisms as well; I'm not looking for some kind of hater validation but just wondering if there's something I'm missing, or if there's a legit difference btw the live vocals and what's on the albums.

I want to like this band more, but I guess every acclaimed band is going to have people who don't get it.

I would say that he is more aggressive in the live setting, especially on the High Violet tracks. There is more volume and reach in his vocals, whereas on many High Violet tracks he is a bit farther back in the mix.

I disagree that his screaming seems forced. The guy gives his best on stage and as soon as that climax in Available came, or the intro to Abel - that was one of my favourite concert moments. So much energy. Reminds me of Black Francis. And that can never be a bad thing.

Holy hell they're here December 4. Why did I just find out about this?

I would say that he is more aggressive in the live setting, especially on the High Violet tracks. There is more volume and reach in his vocals, whereas on many High Violet tracks he is a bit farther back in the mix.
His shouting gives songs like Afraid Of Everyone and Anyone's Ghost that little extra. I always miss it when I'm listening to the album.

I disagree that his screaming seems forced. The guy gives his best on stage and as soon as that climax in Available came, or the intro to Abel - that was one of my favourite concert moments. So much energy. Reminds me of Black Francis. And that can never be a bad thing.
:up:

Yeah, it was Mr. November.

I was hoping for a response to my criticisms as well; I'm not looking for some kind of hater validation but just wondering if there's something I'm missing, or if there's a legit difference btw the live vocals and what's on the albums.

I want to like this band more, but I guess every acclaimed band is going to have people who don't get it.
Live he tries to be louder so his vocals aren't quite as good as they are on record. But as Impy said, you pretty much are down with his delivery or you're not.

And yeah, his screaming is badass as shit.

I just saw that they announced four consecutive shows in NYC in December. I always feel that winter is a great time to see these guys. I guess I should aim for the fourth concert to get more setlist variety (I saw the HV tour last year), although the first of these shows has War on Drugs as an opener.

They were in Philly last week. That's the biggest thing I hate about being at school: missing concerts. No one comes to State College.

His shouting gives songs like Afraid Of Everyone and Anyone's Ghost that little extra. I always miss it when I'm listening to the album.

Definitely. Terrible Love and England as well. I'd say that the screaming would be misplaced on Boxer, but High Violet deserved a comeback of that style.

Oh well, there's always Sad Songs for that.

Ugh, Austin gets Local Natives only. No Neko, SVE, or Wye Oak. Lame. But whatever. Unexpected National show to end the show-going year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom