The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lit Up is fast becoming one of my favorite NASH! songs. I don't feel like we talk about that one nearly enough, and it was, funny enough, a single.

It's a great song, especially since it rocks (per National standards of course), which is something that is sorely missed in their post-Alligator repertoire. And it was brought back on this tour so hopefully I'll get to see it at my next gig.

I love Lit Up. Another example of what first attracted me to the band.

HiVio > Alligator > Boxer.

Boxer still does bugger all for me. I love Fake Empire (shit that works well with England live) and Mistaken for Strangers, and Brainy, Slow Show and Apartment Story are pretty good, but the rest ranges from just ok (Guest Room) to bores me to tears (Green Gloves). It all runs together. I know I'm in the absolute minority with this opinion. The cover I think is a pretty accurate reflection of the music.

Unlike Alligator, the second half of Boxer isn't as stacked with fan favorites as the first, but Ada is spectacular. And what's your take on Start A War?

Guest Room is pretty bad.

Ada is decent, but I never have a desire to listen to it. Start a War is pretty I guess, but does little for me. I think because I listen to full albums far more often than I do songs by themselves, these tracks get lost in the myriad of drab ordinariness that is so much of Boxer - again, just my opinion, and just about as unpopular as you can get around here.

Alligator's tracklisting isn't great. And songs like City Middle, Friend of Mine, Val Jester... don't do much for me either.

That's why High Violet is far and away my favourite. Great tracklisting with the more energetic tracks mixed in amongst the quieter moments. I like all 12 songs, even Little Faith.

Oh man, City Middle makes me tear up every time. Like the best Boxer tracks, it's intimate and quietly profound.

And that's why I don't feel as strongly positive about High Violet as most do: it does stay in that middle-slow gear for most of its run time, and it's rare that I really feel the same connection with it that I do its predecessors. The songs are longer, the production is more expansive, but the connection just isn't quite there for me. It's a great National album on paper, but I haven't warmed to it yet.

ada is good, gospel ends the album in that way that makes it seem like a terrible idea to listen to any other band after it's over. i would have agreed with cobbler at one point, because the post-apartment story block of songs on boxer didn't do much for me at first. but i pretty much like the entire album now. well, "squalor victoria" still kinda blows.

Lit Up is fast becoming one of my favorite NASH! songs. I don't feel like we talk about that one nearly enough, and it was, funny enough, a single.

that song is great. but the transition into looking for astronauts kind of annoys me.

There's no point even listening to Squalor Victoria if you've heard the live version. Probably the biggest improvement from studio to live I've heard.

There's no point even listening to Squalor Victoria if you've heard the live version. Probably the biggest improvement from studio to live I've heard.

This is true. As for Boxer, I too thought that it was a bit nondescript at first, but I now regard it as a near-masterpiece. Those final three tracks are impeccable in the sense that they feel exactly like the theme: straddling the line between youth and adulthood.

It seems to me that the studio albums follow that trajectory of life development: Sad Songs and Alligator are visceral and fiery, whereas Boxer and High Violet are more sedate and contemplative. When one is young and optimistic, Alligator is bound to seem more poignant; when the weight of the adulthood starts to burden you, however, Boxer and High Violet seem painfully appropriate. How's that for a happy thought? :wink:

The National are definitely one of those semi-rare bands that almost always improves their songs in a live setting. Wish they'd release a live album or DVD from this tour. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

cobl04 said:

Absolutely blew my mind when I had a chance to see it. I've always found the song pretty quirky and interesting in a way, but it absolutely slays live.

Absolutely blew my mind when I had a chance to see it. I've always found the song pretty quirky and interesting in a way, but it absolutely slays live.

Yeah, I love it when Matt goes nuts at the end and then throws down the mic stand. I think "Anyone's Ghost" also benefits live from his more aggressive vocals. The star of both those songs in the live setting, though, is Bryan Devendorf. The drumming is Bonham-esque, and I mean that as an extremely high compliment.

Boxer still does bugger all for me. I love Fake Empire (shit that works well with England live) and Mistaken for Strangers, and Brainy, Slow Show and Apartment Story are pretty good, but the rest ranges from just ok (Guest Room) to bores me to tears (Green Gloves). It all runs together. I know I'm in the absolute minority with this opinion. The cover I think is a pretty accurate reflection of the music.
Start a War and Guest Room don't do much for me, but Green Gloves might be my favorite track on Boxer after Brainy. It's a gorgeous song, and your statement has required me to revoke your National fanboy card.
However, you are completely correct about this. They claim that the ending to that song only works live, but I call bullshit. I think the whole song makes so much more sense if it builds to that. I understand the idea of a buildup that stops suddenly, but I don't think that it makes the song better in the context of the album like they claim it does.
The National are definitely one of those semi-rare bands that almost always improves their songs in a live setting. Wish they'd release a live album or DVD from this tour. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I generally find most bands I listen to are better live than they are in the studio. The National, U2, Springsteen, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, even Radiohead (that might be a contested statement by some). I think it's rare for a band to be worse live, personally.
Yeah, I love it when Matt goes nuts at the end and then throws down the mic stand. I think "Anyone's Ghost" also benefits live from his more aggressive vocals. The star of both those songs in the live setting, though, is Bryan Devendorf. The drumming is Bonham-esque, and I mean that as an extremely high compliment.
Devendorf is the best drummer going right now.

I didn't care much for "Green Gloves" until very recently when I paid a bit more attention to the lyrics, and then it clicked with me in a big way.

But I don't understand how ANYONE could be unmoved by "Start A War" :slant:

Start a War and Guest Room don't do much for me, but Green Gloves might be my favorite track on Boxer after Brainy. It's a gorgeous song, and your statement has required me to revoke your National fanboy card.

However, you are completely correct about this. They claim that the ending to that song only works live, but I call bullshit. I think the whole song makes so much more sense if it builds to that. I understand the idea of a buildup that stops suddenly, but I don't think that it makes the song better in the context of the album like they claim it does.

I generally find most bands I listen to are better live than they are in the studio. The National, U2, Springsteen, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, even Radiohead (that might be a contested statement by some). I think it's rare for a band to be worse live, personally.

I owe a lot to Matt, because the show I saw was in an all-seated venue, and I hate sitting at shows. But from maybe the second or third song he told everyone to stand and thankfully I was able to stand for the rest of the show. But during Green Gloves even I was tempted to sit down. Maybe I'd enjoy Boxer more if I had the lyrics in front of me while listening.

I too think most artists I've seen are better live than on record - you wouldn't go to shows otherwise. Some hip hop acts are the exception here.

I think I'd have to agree about The National's drummer. He slays live, and even on the more boring National songs he still plays an interesting part, and more often than not it holds the song up.

Green Gloves is all about the lyrics. If they weren't so poignant, I don't think it would mean that much. The music-vocals-lyrics combination is just pitch perfect. I love the build at the end with the organ. In an album with very little release, it's a subtly very satisfying release at the end of that song.

Here's the thing:

God bless The fucking National. So good, still evolving, put on a great show, etc. If the only thing I got from interference was people recommending this band to me, that alone would make dealing with psychos like Laz worth it.

These two bits right here are the reason why Green Gloves kills me:

Falling out of touch with all my
friends are somewhere getting wasted,
hope they're staying glued together,
I have arms for them.

Now I hardly know them
and I'll take my time
I'll carry them over, and I'll make them mine.

I don't know exactly what Matt might be singing about, but for me, it just reminds me of how quickly I have fallen away from all of my friends from high school, and now even college.

PhilsFan said:

This.

No spoken words said:
If the only thing I got from interference was people recommending this band to me, that alone would make dealing with psychos like Laz worth it.

And he doesn't even listen to the National.

I think we should just get rid of Laz.

This:

Dessner said the band will play songs they don't normally play on tour as well as new material, including a song called "Think You Can Wait" for the new independent film, "Win Win." The concert will also feature a film component and a light show.

"In the spirit of MusicNOW," he said, "we'll push ourselves to make it something special."

makes me even more chuffed to see them this Sunday!

link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom