The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to very, very few concerts last year. not so much due to horrible luck, just due to not liking the idea of going anywhere much anymore.

he can't dance though. he does this weird little robot thing with his forearms.

Haha, yep, that's Matt for you. His awkwardness onstage and the fact that he looks like he doesn't know what to do with himself if not singing are so endearing though.

Easily one of my favorite live bands/bands in general of the past several years. Glad you enjoyed the show, Danny!

Squalor Victoria, a song that leaves a lot to be desired on the album, fucking rocks

the drummer is really awesome.

Hell yeah.

Really glad to hear that not everyone around you was a total bummer, Danny. All-seated shows can be a mixed bag just like GA; it all depends on the temperament of whoever is around you + the band you're seeing. National fans strike me as pretty awesome.

I saw them at the Electric Factory, which is all standing room and has an upper deck around the floor. It fits like 2500. It couldn't have been a better venue for them. Matt ran through the floor on Abel and then through the upper deck on Mr. November.

this was the set:

Runaway (strange, strange opener...)
Anyone's Ghost
Bloodbuzz Ohio (this and Terrible Love i would say are the band's "best" songs in the eyes of Australians)
Brainy
Slow Show (this was quite good, i forgot what it was since i don't really listen to Boxer)
Squalor Victoria
Lemonworld ("this is about cannabalism, but in a good way, a funny way")
Afraid of Everyone (dedicated to the Tucson, AZ victims)
Conversation 16
All the Wine
Available (didn't know this, but it was great!) / Cardinal Song (outro, didn't know this either)
Apartment Story
Sorrow
Green Gloves
England
Fake Empire

Lucky You ("this is really old", said a guitarist. "KAREN!" some bitch screamed. "Nope, sorry, it's older than that." very good)
Mr November (into the crowd again, awesome)
About Today
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

woah, way more Boxer than i thought. :lol:

Haha, yep, that's Matt for you. His awkwardness onstage and the fact that he looks like he doesn't know what to do with himself if not singing are so endearing though.

Easily one of my favorite live bands/bands in general of the past several years. Glad you enjoyed the show, Danny!

:up: cheers! he is quite endearing! it just looks weird! :lol:

Hell yeah.

Really glad to hear that not everyone around you was a total bummer, Danny. All-seated shows can be a mixed bag just like GA; it all depends on the temperament of whoever is around you + the band you're seeing. National fans strike me as pretty awesome.

you also described them as "assholes" about 12 hours ago. :wink:

Lucky You? Awesome. That's a hidden gem.

I'm thinking the cannibalism line was about Conversation 16, not Lemonworld.

You hadn't heard Available before? That song fucking rocks.

"Lucky You?" Holy fuck am I jealous.

Yes, get them. SSFDL is their second best album.

Ah yes, Cherry Tree. It's awesome as well. And I just noticed that Cobbler also got to see "Green Gloves." That setlist was divine.

I don't like Green Gloves. Even I felt like sitting down during that song.

I also forgot to mention that going solo was quite okay! Felt a bit weird before and after but not nearly as bad as I thought.

I also forgot to mention that going solo was quite okay! Felt a bit weird before and after but not nearly as bad as I thought.

We've converted another! :wink:

"Lucky You" and "Available" in one setlist too? Sublime. LIQUOR ME UP!

And, yeah, get Sad Songs. It's probably their most diverse album, in addition to everything else being said.

I'll speak for the debut as well, I love that album. And Sad Songs of course. And the Cherry Tree EP.

IWB: I've heard murmurs that they're adding another American leg to the tour this year.

pleaseohpleaseohplease. Lolla just wasn't good enough. I so badly want to see them at their own gig.

Hello from New Zealand! We hope you had a happy new year and a lovely holiday vacation. We wanted to let those of you in the US know that the episode of Austin City Limits that we taped in fall will be airing tomorrow / January 15th on PBS. You can check your local listings for the specific time in your neighborhood.

They do reruns of ACL every Sunday night, that's when I usually watch or check to see who's on it. The artists they've featured lately have been really uninteresting for the most part. I can't even remember the last time I watched.

But I'll certainly be watching this episode.

IWasBored said:
now i just gotta figure out what channel that is so i can dvr it

It's whatever your PBS affiliate it, but some places don't get the first run episodes on their, uh, first run. You can always catch it on the ACL site after it airs tonight.

I'm bummed they only get a half episode and have to split it with Band of Overrated Horses. St. Vinny and THE OKK! only got half eps too.

Yeah, Band of Horses typically have one or two good songs and 10 tracks of filler per album, I don't understand their draw either (though their couple of good songs are quite good). Oh wellz.

Yeah, Band of Horses typically have one or two good songs and 10 tracks of filler per album, I don't understand their draw either (though their couple of good songs are quite good). Oh wellz.

My feelings too. I would even say that their second has more good songs than their first, but their best song is on the debut

It's whatever your PBS affiliate it, but some places don't get the first run episodes on their, uh, first run. You can always catch it on the ACL site after it airs tonight.

I'm bummed they only get a half episode and have to split it with Band of Overrated Horses. St. Vinny and THE OKK! only got half eps too.

yeah, i have no idea what channel pbs is on my tv. and i forgot about this thing, because i am absolutely awful at remembering to do much other than show up for work each night thurs-sun.

I have it saved on my DVR, but haven't watched yet. One of my friends watched (he's actually a member here, Audiophile), and said it was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom