The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering I got Iced six times in the span of 90 minutes last week, I can sympathize.

I'll explain everything to the geeks

I have no idea what that means

It has something to do with Imps and what's going on down here...

vanillaIce.jpg

I have no idea what that means

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_(drinking_game)

I've never even witnessed one anywhere. I feel like it's retarded and should be stopped. Maybe it'll be different when I see it happen.

It's stupid and juvenile, yeah, but most things I do are. We came up with a rule to where you can't just hand one to someone, you have to creatively and comically hide it somewhere where they'll find it by mistake. It's high comedy. Trust me.

One of my good lady friends is still shocked and appalled at the fact that I've never been to a Luby's, but nice try, Scums.

I realized I had linked the wrong photo when I looked a second time. I liked the strange "shocker-esque" Vanilla Ice gesture going on in this one, I call it the "Icer".

... on the contrary, I still can't get into this album. I like The National a whole bunch, but I find High Violet to be, well, pretty damn boring. Sorry, guys. It might still click with me yet, though, but I think my time with it is nearly up.

It's interesting that Boxer, an album more elegiac than High Violet, is actually a lot more exciting. Even in its quietest, most placid moments, there was always something about Boxer that felt intimate, dynamic, poignant. I listen to High Violet and enjoy what it offers, but I don't really have a feel for it yet. It feels like a more monotone version of earlier albums, but I can't let myself think that, because the songs are good on their own merits.

High Violet? More like Sigh Violet. /Lance

1. Alligator
2. High Violet
3. Boxer
4. Sad Songs
5. S/T

As of the moment. As always, always changing (see: my opinion on Brainy).

I also belong to the club that isn't that thrilled with High Violet. A very good album, but pales in comparison to the latest three. It's like it's struggling to find the right tone and atmosphere all the way, losing its sense of pace more often than gaining it - something which Alligator, Boxer and Sad Songs (apart from that unfortunate Sugar Trophy Wife interlude) achieved admirably.

My album ranking:

1. Alligator
2. Sad Songs
3. Boxer
4. High Violet
5. The National

Cherry Tree EP would probably beat them all.

1. High Violet
2. Alligator
(3. Cherry Tree)
4. Boxer
5. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers

Haven't heard the first one yet.

... on the contrary, I still can't get into this album. I like The National a whole bunch, but I find High Violet to be, well, pretty damn boring. Sorry, guys. It might still click with me yet, though, but I think my time with it is nearly up.

Strangely, I can't really get into their other albums, maybe with the exception of parts of "Boxer", that's a decent album, I like some of it. Right now I'm really enjoying "High Violet", but maybe because it was the first album I've heard from them.

1. Boxer (8.96564)
2. Alligator (8.58974)
3. High Violet (7.78901)
4. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers (7.54392)

Haven't heard the debut, and have no desire to; there are far too many great albums out there and not enough hours in the day.

Boxer
Sad Songs
Alligator
High Violet
s/t

But they're all so good, so good, so good.

/sweetcaroline'd

So, now I know what Matt* spent his time doing after A Skin, A Night brought doomsday:

kdk_0586.jpg

It's actually disappointing that someone with Matt's expertise made this shit. It tastes like a five year old squeezed some peaches into a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Thankfully, you can purchase your own at CVS for the modest fee of $5. Also, I'm probably going to get drunker than an Irishman on a Tuesday with this shit, so stay tuned.

*Yes, I know that's not how his last name is spelled. I'm going on the assumption that High Violet hasn't drained the life from all of you. Also, it may have been a drunken typo. I'll ask him the next time I straddle him in a Philly mosh pit.

I like that Jesus of Nazareth is on one side and Samson and Delilah on the other.

You're a sick man for sticking Schindler's List next to Throw Mama from the Train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom