The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilsFan

Blue Crack Addict
Carry on.

Lance got About Today tonight. If he gets it in Philly and I don't tomorrow night, he'd better dread my return to the Jersey shore.

Excellent show, as was expected. They've really picked up a fantastic style as a band and stage presentation. Long, killer set. The highlights were incredibly obvious though, the first (in the set) being Squalor Victory. I was never much of a fan of the song, but the electricity in the room was amazing. The other stand-out was Mr. November (also helps it's possibly their best song to being with)... but holy fucking shit... the only word I have is 'transcendent'. Just that. Sublime pop art performance. Astonishing.

Excellent show, as was expected. They've really picked up a fantastic style as a band and stage presentation. Long, killer set. The highlights were incredibly obvious though, the first (in the set) being Squalor Victory. I was never much of a fan of the song, but the electricity in the room was amazing. The other stand-out was Mr. November (also helps it's possibly their best song to being with)... but holy fucking shit... the only word I have is 'transcendent'. Just that. Sublime pop art performance. Astonishing.

What the hell is Squalor Victory?

Glad you enjoyed it, Lancelot.

You fucker. But yeah, enjoyed it would be an understatement.

Also, I scored a ticket for Arcade Fire in august. Good day.

He sort of tends to lean over when he's screaming into the mic. This was after I was struck in the face by his mic wire, because he kind of did a P shape through the crowd to get to where I was.

Also:

AVAILABLE AND THE GEESE OF BEVERLY ROAD.

Thanks. For all the hype around it ... I was still blown away.

Lance, what did they walk onstage to when you were there? I think it might've been an instrumental of Blank Slate tonight.

The guy I brought to the show's favorite songs (he's never heard them before): Anyone's Ghost, Squalor Victoria, Mr. November, Terrible Love.

I'm reading on other forums that people are saying this was one of their best, so I do feel like I lucked out. The setlist was great. The sound was mixed really well. The performance was stellar.

Here's the setlist I got:
1. Brainy
2. Anyone's Ghost
3. Bloodbuzz Ohio
4. Mistaken for Strangers
5. Secret Meeting
6. Squalor Victoria
7. Afraid of Everyone
8. Little Faith
9. All the Wine
10. Available [by request]
11. Conversation 16
12. Apartment Story
13. The Geese of Beverly Road
14. Abel
15. Daughters of the SoHo Riots
16. Sorrow
17. England
18. Fake Empire

19. Runaway
20. Lemonworld
21. Mr. November
22. Terrible Love

I wish they would drop Little Faith from the set (and from existence) otherwise that and the set I got are pretty stellar. I'd have liked to hear Brainy though.

Little Faith was dead weight in the set. I actually like the studio version, but it's shitty live. Every other song improved live, especially England (Bryan changed the drumming in the second verse to a way that makes the whole song feel like more of a buildup to the ending).

Also, Aaron had guitar troubles on Conversation 16 that resulted in him accidentally hitting a guy square in the face with an elbow when the guy came out to try to reconnect his pedals.

I would shoot you, your family, Lance, his family including his Dad, as well as 15-20 strangers to hear "England" live. I'm sure there are better tracks on the album, but whatever, England is my favorite, it haunts my soul.

Or swallows your soul. Ha HA!

Seriously, though, England killed live.

I stood next to a group of particularly energetic fans. Also, fuck the guy who requested Guest Room six different times, and mad props to the guy who yelled out for Tall Saint.

(I said to a guy, "If you're gonna be requesting like that, at least have some taste and request Geese of Beverly Road." They played that two songs later.)

So are they explicitly taking requests, or are people just being assholes and shouting songs?

These were all just assholes yelling out requests. The guy who got his was lucky. The explanation:

Aaron: "We're going to play a request. We're in a good mood because we were watching Talladega Nights backstage."
Matt: "I didn't get it."

There were a ton of people yelling for Slow Show during the encore.

I see.

And I'm glad Matty B isn't a fan of that turd of a film. Good man.

We got Slow Show. It was good. I also kind of fell in love with Afraid of Everyone during the show. Not a fan of it beforehand honestly.

SV is the tits live.

Hopefully the fact that I'm seeing them three or four times in October yields drastically different setlists.

AVAILABLE!?! That shit better stay in the setlist. Or I'm gonna have to come out east specifically for some knife crime times.

I like the $11 convenience fee Ticketmaster sticks on their tickets. It's a fantastic business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom