The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's stupid good live. Nice to see it was a Boxer holdover since it was easily a highlight of the two times I saw them that tour.

Happy?

Random: I love that little double tap of the ride Bryan does at the beginning of a lot of measures when playing live. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

they played All the Wine and Afraid of Everyone over the PA at Passion Pit last night, both of which i really really like.

i have made a playlist of all The National songs i enjoy, it's pretty fantastic and is played regularly!

Oh, okay. I do enjoy that. He seems to have a lot of little flourishes that add so much to songs in such subtle ways.
I know what you mean. I don't think he's ever played the same part to a song twice. I've heard like nearly a dozen versions of Terrible Love and the drums on the outro are totally different every time.

Oh, I know it will be. They have been absolutely incredible every time I've seen them (tonight will be show #4). I'm taking along the bf though, who loves them, but hasn't have his live National cherry popped yet, so I'm realllly looking forward to his reactions...he has no idea what they're capable of live.

Speaking of which, time to bust out of work and head down to First Avenue!

Wow. Just, wow.

That was easily the best performance I've seen of theirs. We were first in line at the venue; front and center at the stage. Matt was fantastically drunk. Bryce was king of banter (there was a lot of great talk in between songs! Bryce: [speaking about Matt's drinking] "We've cut him off from the wine." Crowd: "Awww, come on!" Bryce: "Oh, relax. He's got cases and cases of wine behind the drum set there.") The energy was insane. Matt didn't jump out into the crowd until they closed with "Terrible Love," (and then it was directly into our group, fuck yeah!) and then I think he left the building.

THEY PLAYED "AVAILABLE!" (into Cardinal Song!). Before they started, Bryce said to Matt, "They won't recognize you on this song," and Matt answered, "Yeah, this is where I get tender." :lol: Also, I think I may have broken my hand from pounding it on the rail during the "LIQUOR ME UP!" part.

And! I got a setlist, motherfuckers!

40251_643181711989_45809822_37247179_5694046_n.jpg

I was pretty thrilled to hear "Apartment Story," "Secret Meeting," and "Mistaken for Strangers." "Sorrow" was surprisingly cool, too.

Thank you, good sir.

I have to say, the only song I could've done without was "Little Faith." It's meh on record and meh live too. That's an extremely minor complaint, in the scheme of things, though.

Thank you, good sir.

I have to say, the only song I could've done without was "Little Faith." It's meh on record and meh live too. That's an extremely minor complaint, in the scheme of things, though.
It was the only weak track in the set when I saw them. I think Lance said the same thing too.

Oh, indeed.

Their theater show I saw last year was great, but I'm a bigger fan now, and yesterday was just sublime. Mr. November, again, brings a crowd to a frenzy as fast as any live song I can think of. They had us eating out of their fucking hands. And Terrible Love is a really good pick for a closer, I think.

Best moment of the set for me? Apartment Story. it has become my favorite NASH! song, and when Matt started singing "Be still for a second while I try and try to pin your flowers on..." I got big time chills, man. Chills. And proceeded to sing my throat off.

Squalor Victoria is like eighty-hundred times better live.

I agree.

Mr. November, again, brings a crowd to a frenzy as fast as any live song I can think of.

I can't tell you how amazing it was to finally hear this song live. That was my personal highlight of their set in Montreal 10 days ago.

Very nice.

Though CD wise I could have shown you that picture, minus Boxer and Violet, 5 years ago. :wink: Ironically, I actually had to go to Texas to complete the collection.

Well Cherry Tree is ridiculously out of print, only a handful of SSFDL were pressed upon its release, and the self titled just got its first vinyl release ever. Maybe you had the CDs, but I caught up as soon as I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom