The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #766
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 AM
High Violet's got solid energy to it. I think if their next album is good, it doesn't matter what direction they do it in.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #767
45:33

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
High Violet's got solid energy to it. I think if their next album is good, it doesn't matter what direction they do it in.
x2

HiVio i easily my favourite.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #768
The Male

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored
i think the point i might be getting hung up on here is this: LM, are you saying that raw emotion = an uptempo rocking song with semi-screamed choruses? i'm pretty sure i agree with iyup (although i probably fall into that category of people who'd be happy with anything they do now).
Of course not. Alligator had exhilarating highs and haunting, vaguely unsettling lows that were equally engaging. It's when the band is midtempo 90% of the time that I lose interest. It was great for Boxer, but I'm starting to miss the old energy is all. It's like with Beck; sure, I enjoy Modern Guilt, but he's been consistently delivering hazy, disaffected melodic shit for a few albums now, and I miss being surprised. I feel his music connects best in that context. I don't want to hear the National settle into the same rut, that's all.

Now.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #769
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Alligator is a masterpiece. I've only heard that and High Violet, and I've gotta say, High Violet, as good as it is, kinda underwhelms me when compared with Alligator.

They are a mighty fine band, and it excites me no end that I've still got 3 more albums available for me to immerse myself in National goodness.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #770
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon

Of course not. Alligator had exhilarating highs and haunting, vaguely unsettling lows that were equally engaging. It's when the band is midtempo 90% of the time that I lose interest. It was great for Boxer, but I'm starting to miss the old energy is all. It's like with Beck; sure, I enjoy Modern Guilt, but he's been consistently delivering hazy, disaffected melodic shit for a few albums now, and I miss being surprised. I feel his music connects best in that context. I don't want to hear the National settle into the same rut, that's all.
gotcha. i figured i was reading you wrong, it didnt make much sense. going to have to agree to disagree then, it seems more like a logical continuation, and while i can see where youre coming from, I like the songs on high violet far too much to agree.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #771
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan
Knowing a few casual National fans, it just seems to me that High Violet rubbed them the wrong way after Boxer. Like all the excitement had gone and they've travelled down this dark path of despair. If they continue to release albums like that, I don't see the fanbase continuing to grow as well, imo.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #772

If they continue releasing albums as good as that, it won't matter to me
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #773
Blue Crack Distributor

Nor I on a personal level, but I would think you'd want the fanbase to grow? But eh, this is based on a few people, my survey is by no means 100% accurate.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #774
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212
Nor I on a personal level, but I would think you'd want the fanbase to grow? But eh, this is based on a few people, my survey is by no means 100% accurate.
I'd say selling out a venue with a capacity of 5k is far from a not-growing fan base, but call me devil's advocate. or, meh...personally dark and depressing is right up my alley. or maybe I just didn't realize they were that big, cos normally i go to see bands who i think are better known to find out they don't play nearly as large places and fill the seats. it's that whole living under a rock thing.

i got a decent laugh out of matt's between song banter after son and available, something about who put together this setlist? That was what we call in musical terms a medley of our angriest and bitter songs, now to follow it up with...depressing! ( as they launched into sorrow). a bit of paraphrasing there, but that was essentially it. and i thought hooray, the narrow range of my emotions.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #775
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212
From what I gather and it's certainly true here in Belgium, HV is the album that made them big.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #776
Blue Crack Distributor

it's fine. You all like High Violet. I like High Violet. There's no point arguing.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #777

T-rue.

Bloodbuzz and Terrible Love got the biggest reactions at the show I went to.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #778
Blue Crack Distributor

Obviously. It's the new album. I'm not suggesting the album was unpopular. I'm saying that (a few) fans (I know in person) that already existed prior to its release as nothing more than casual, found the band's last two album's decent into a much murkier and depressing sound to be a bit stagnating and turned them off. Not Boxer so much, and not High Violet on its own so much, but the back to back darker turn from the bit more energetic sound of Alligator and the previous two albums.

That's all I was saying, is that if they continue to release material like High Violet, they may continue to gain fans, but also lose the people who have hung on the fringes for a while.

None of this matters, I just was making a post on my phone that I couldn't really elaborate on because it's not the best medium to write al ong post on, and now I've explained what I've meant.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #779
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

That's all I was saying, is that if they continue to release material like High Violet, they may continue to gain fans, but also lose the people who have hung on the fringes for a while.

not trying to belabor the point here, but name one band active for more than a few years years with some modicum of success who this has not happened to. i do agree inasmuch as i'd hate to see another album that sounds exactly the same as the last (and worse, the last two or three) from any band. yes, that's boring. it's never good. on the other end, you get too adventurous with the musical growth on the opposite side of the specturm, and you get the same thing.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #780
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 AM
I'm confident the next album will be unique in its own way.

Tags
high violet, national, the national