The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GirlsAloudFan said:
I should probably put a :wink: with that, because I'm just messin around.

But I don't play that shit. Smilies are for people that don't have either Apartment Story or Fake Empire in their top 10.

Fuck you.

:wink:

Also, All the Wine is bloody brilliant. There's one that would definitely land in my top five.

iron yuppie said:
Also, All the Wine is bloody brilliant. There's one that would definitely land in my top five.

I used to think he was bragging in that song; that's what initially attracted me to it. But seeing it live made me think it's faux-courage; the protagonist is riddled with bad thoughts but is determined to be overtly positive so as to not "let the psychos around". Absolutely love it.

Right now:

Available
All the Wine
Abel
Mr November
Fake Empire
Green Gloves
Apartment Story
Anyone's Ghost
Terrible Live (Alt)
Exile/Vilify

Really do need to listen to their S/T and b-sides a bit more.

Also count me as one who is not blown away by High Violet, great album but I always back to the previous two. Kind of wish they'd played more older material at Sydney Harvest Festival on Sunday too (1 song pre-Boxer). Still, an awesome performance nonetheless.

cobl04 said:
How'd you enjoy Harvest?? Heard it was awesome at Sydney

Had a great day, smashing weather. Saw The Walkmen, The Family Stone, TV on the Radio, Bright Eyes (for the missus), The National, the Flaming Lips and Portishead. Lips set was plagued with difficulties, including starting half an hour late. Place was packed out for their entrance but then people left in droves. I'm assuming most went to see Portishead without knowing they wouldn't come on until The Lips finished. Suckers.

i am still not nearly as familiar with anything that isn't from alligator, boxer, or high violet. and i really, really need to fix that.

still having trouble singling out a top ten, even from those three albums alone.

i really like "anyone's ghost" right now.

Fake Empire
City Middle
Terrible Love
Afraid Of Everyone
Trophy Wife
Mr November
England
Murder Me Rachael
Driver Surprise Me
Racing Like a Pro
Slow Show
Available
Lemonworld

Murder Me Rachel
About Today
Karen
All The Wine
Geese of Beverly Road
Fake Empire
Mistaken For Srangers
Start A War
Ada
Bloodbuzz
Conversation 16
England
Exile Vilify

Had a great day, smashing weather. Saw The Walkmen, The Family Stone, TV on the Radio, Bright Eyes (for the missus), The National, the Flaming Lips and Portishead. Lips set was plagued with difficulties, including starting half an hour late. Place was packed out for their entrance but then people left in droves. I'm assuming most went to see Portishead without knowing they wouldn't come on until The Lips finished. Suckers.
Nice. I saw the Lips last night, hugely entertaining gig, but the theatre was about 2/3 to what the Nash had the previous night. Course both lose to Portishead who are playing tonight and sold out in like a minute (and guess who didn't get tickets...)

Anyways, I need to get Alligator and hear the earlier stuff. My top ten would be:

Mistaken for Strangers
Bloodbuzz
Vanderlyle
plus 7 other songs I can't narrow down

I used to think he was bragging in that song; that's what initially attracted me to it. But seeing it live made me think it's faux-courage; the protagonist is riddled with bad thoughts but is determined to be overtly positive so as to not "let the psychos around". Absolutely love it.

That's basically how I see it as well: false bravado. The narrator goes out looking fabulous, but is emotionally crippled underneath the facade.

Racing Like a Pro

Another of my favorites. It deserves more praise than it tends to get.

Nice. I saw the Lips last night, hugely entertaining gig, but the theatre was about 2/3 to what the Nash had the previous night.

Please tell me everything about the gig!! I just saw you got to hear Brain Damage and Eclipse!!!!!!!!!! I was going to say that's the closest I'll ever come to seeing Pink Floyd and you got to hear two of their songs! Though I did get Race for the Prize :heart:

I can't talk about it right now. I'm too lost for words

Oh I'm glad someone else bumped this thread instead of me, I've been fuckin obsessed since I saw them last week. I've been playing the footage of Matt in the crowd during Abel at Lolla 2010 on an endless loop :needs to get a life:

Well those three (not to mention "Sorrow") were all first-time-live for me. Very cool. They join "Green Gloves" and "Racing Like a Pro" as the only Nash tunes I've only got once.

This morning I looked at setlists and wrote out each song I've seen performed and how many times. I need a different job.

Four:
Mistaken For Strangers
Slow Show
Squalor Victoria
Apartment Story
Mr November
Fake Empire

Three:
Abel
All the Wine
Secret Meeting

Two:
Runaway
Anyone's Ghost
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Afraid of Everyone
Conversation 16
Available/Cardinal Song
England
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle
Start a War
Brainy
Baby We'll Be Fine
About Today

One:
Geese
Sorrow
Lucky You
Santa Clara
Racing Like a Pro
Green Gloves

The big missing ones from my show were Slow Show and About Today. Other than that I got all the classics, which was pretty cool.

You got "Geese," "Soho," AND "Lemonworld," you bitch. San Fran got "Son" and "Think You Can Wait" the night before last, those bitches.

As for the show itself last night, enjoyable as always. Crowd sucked, but I'm beginning to expect that at Austin Music Hall.

Full set:

Runaway
Anyone's Ghost
Mistaken for Strangers
Secret Meeting
Bloodbuzz
Slow Slow
Squalor Victoria
Afraid of Everyone
Conversation 16
Geese
Available/Cardinal Song
Apartment Story
Sorrow
Lucky You
England
Fake Empire

Santa Clara
Mr. November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle

Tomorrow night for me. I've avoided looking at the setlists for this leg of the tour, but the consensus seems to be that they have been great.

Anything is better than nothing, which is why I presently hate you all.

I have to imagine that six night stand in New York is the end of High Violet touring. That makes a year and a half for them.

Whatever happened to that documentary they were making about the tour?

A year and a half of touring and they never came here once.

Douche-whistlers.

I got several songs last night that I had not yet heard in concert:

Son
Murder Me Rachael
About Today
Baby, We'll Be Fine
Geese
Green Gloves

The band was on fire, but the crowd was dreadful: more interested in $8 Miller Lites and iPhones than the band, I suppose. I was really glad to hear many of the tracks listed above, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom