The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #466
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:55 AM
I've just decided that Afraid Of Everyone is my favourite The National song, especially the Letterman version (I haven't seen any other live version). I do miss the ittle guitar solo on the album track and that extra emotion in Berninger's voice but that seems to be the case with most of their songs live. And the album version is already breathtaking.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
1. Cut a hole in the box.

2. Bullshit.

3. It's Berninger, you asshat.
He'll change his name to whatever I deem it and like it.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #468
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Your hat is like that of an ass, Dalton.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #469
45:33

Local Time: 02:55 PM
i called him Matt Bertringer once. impy then posted this
Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #470
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

28th? Incorrect Pitchfork. Incorrect.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #472
Blue Meth Addict

Pitchfork's hat is like that of an ass, Dalton.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
They're apparently filming a video of some sort with John Slattery and Kristen Schaal.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #474

someone must have made a pretty funny joke...
Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Mel and Roger Sterling, together at last. Red Ships of Spain.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #476

FANTASTIC concert.

the Palais Theatre is all seating, so i was worried about that becuase i don't like sitting down at concerts. i needn't have worried because Matt Berninger (i've gone to the lengths of getting his name write, because i respected him for this) walked into the crowd during Bloodbuzz Ohio, the third song, standing on the seats and shit and everyone was cheering. and from then on only four or five people that i could see sat down for the entire remainder of the concert. i was very thankful. he can't dance though. he does this weird little robot thing with his forearms.

many of you had mentioned how they were phenomenal live, and you weren't wrong. pretty much every song was an improvement on the studio version. Squalor Victoria, a song that leaves a lot to be desired on the album, fucking rocks, About Today (the studio version doesn't really go anywhere, though it's pretty) was tremendous.

if you'd asked me for the three non-HiVio songs i'd hope they'd play, they'd've been All the Wine, Abel and Mr November and they played all three. All the Wine, whilst very good, wasn't the uplifting, tongue-through-cheek, beaming song i thought it was, the way Matt performed it it sort of seemed like a song where the protagonist feels quite insecure but is singing positively, surrounding himself with upbeat music to not "let the psychos around". Abel (my fav National song) & Mr November were nuts.

Little Faith was the only song they didn't play of HiVio, now my #1 National album. so many terrific songs, and they're amazing live. England, the way it swells to a huge conclusion, Terrible Love which just enraptures the crowd. they closed the show with a non-mic'd, acoustic version of Vanderlyle Crybaby Cry, which was ambitious and quite good but it was a bit awkward because obviously not everyone knew the words.

the drummer is really awesome.

some idiots in the crowd kept yelling out requests and "wooo!" and then someone told them to shut up and everyone laughed.

No Secret Meeting or Mistaken for Strangers was my only complaint about the very good setlist.

then on the way out they played North American Scum and the intro to All My Friends (before they disgustingly cut it off) over the PA.

i'll never be as crazy for this band as impy, peef, dalton and others are but my oh my do they have a good live show.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #477
Blue Crack Supplier

nice, i am jealous.

yeah, their drummer is really awesome, or so i keep getting told. i got a friend of mine from work hooked on them (because after you guys hooked me on them, i felt the need to compulsively listen to the 2 albums i do have at work over and over, when this kid totally fell in love with their stuff as well), he's a drummer and he keeps raving about how insanely fun to play their songs sound. sounds good to me, but he's always going "no, you don't understand, this guy is amazing!" i guess i will take his word for it. i was actually thinking about that when i was reading the other thread. eventually when they do come back this way i will definitely be going to see them, completely out of the ordinary for me i have direct orders to tell my buddy about the show, because he says he will absolutely be going with me. i almost always go to shows alone, always preferred it that way. i've probably only gone with other people to 5% of the concerts i've ever been to (yeah, i pulled that number out of my ass, but i think it's pretty accurate). more often than not none of my friends like the bands i want to go see, and when they are bands they like it's like pulling teeth to drag them along because most of them just don't enjoy going to shows. i'm starting to not enjoy actually not being at concerts myself, but i think that's just because i'm just really not a big fan of leaving the house anymore.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #478
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
he can't dance though. he does this weird little robot thing with his forearms.
Hey, he's a white guy from Cincinnati -- that's about as good as the dancing's gonna get.

Sounds like a wonderful gig. Glad you got About Today -- I love that song live!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
IWB: I've heard murmurs that they're adding another American leg to the tour this year.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
IWB: I've heard murmurs that they're adding another American leg to the tour this year.
i am absolutely keeping an eye open for that. then i'll be able to stop kicking myself for my poor timing in finally getting around to checking them out vs. when the last american leg hit the northeast.

Tags
high violet, national, the national