The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imperor said:
Matt's Matt. You either like the disaffected baritone or you don't.

This. He's one of the more unique frontmen I've come across, and while I found his approach uninspiring initially, his voice is extremely comforting to me now, a perfect complement to the band's sound.

Since my first experience with the band's discography was Boxer, the screaming from the first few albums did seem to come out of left field for me. Live is where it integrates itself into multiple songs, disregarding chronology, and it starts to make more sense for me in that context. When the band starts to rock the fuck out, Matt's go-to moves are a) alcohol consumption, b) stage dives, and c) screaming.

his voice is ... a perfect complement to the band's sound

This just about sums it up. However you end up feeling about the guy's voice, Laz, there's no denying that it encapsulates the general tone of the instrumentation and the white collar malaise that's such a staple of his lyrics. Which is precisely why this band continues to resonate with me after playing them into the ground over the years.

Knowing your tastes, I think you'd find it very rewarding to dive straight in.

The thought of hearing "Thirsty," "Son," or "Exile/Vilify" in December has me salivating. Hell, by that point they might have added more debut and/or SSFDL tunes to the fold.

My show was before they started opening with Runaway. Brainy was fucking boss as an opener.

Both of mine started with Runaway as well. As much as I love it, I felt that it was an odd choice. These recent setlists are fabulous, though.

I just started singing a National song to myself and I couldn't figure out what it was. I had to go through an entire verse and chorus til I figured out it was "Runaway" :lol: Must have been a latent thing from seeing the name of it in the thread.

Has Exile Vilify been played live much? If it took acoustic Vanderlyle's spot, I wouldn't complain. Could be a really beautiful closer.

I remember watching a live performance of Mr November for the first time on You Tube and I was devastated at how forced his screaming seemed and felt that it had completely ruined one of the great choruses.

I've watched a few more live performances of Mr November since, and while I still resoundingly prefer his vocal on the studio version, it's not as much of an earsore as I first found it to be. It's growing on me, maybe I will eventually come to enjoy it.

I think there is an important difference between some of Berninger's overenthusiastic vocal deliveries at a concert (such as the chorus for Mr.November) and intentional, visceral screamings that appear in Available, Slipping Husband or Abel. I can imagine the former can be off-putting for some, but the latter is one of the reasons why I consider The National to be one of the best bands, if not the best band to come out of the 2000s.

I just finished listening to The Virginia EP, never did get around to that one. I loved the new material and everything, but oh shit this version of "About Today" is just brilliant.

Matt's Matt. You either like the disaffected baritone or you don't.

This. I like the screaming, particularly on Squalor Victoria, which as we've all said, destroys the studio version. They opened with Runaway when I saw them too and I felt they could have opened better with pretty much any song in their catalogue.

I've listened to only EPs today for some reason (well now that I've realized I'm doing it, I'm doing it on purpose) so I gave Cherry Tree a spin as well (third time I've heard it). I think I've heard just about everything they've ever released now. I love them. The end.

Yeah, it was Mr. November.

I was hoping for a response to my criticisms as well; I'm not looking for some kind of hater validation but just wondering if there's something I'm missing, or if there's a legit difference btw the live vocals and what's on the albums.

I want to like this band more, but I guess every acclaimed band is going to have people who don't get it.

i don't know, i like his voice. it's not whiny, and there's way too much of that going on in similar "indie" music. and i don't agree as far as the screaming sounding forced. too much of the guy's performance comes off as someone teetering on the edge of screaming/losing his shit and depressively droning, that i think in its small amounts it works--especially given the lyrics/subjects of the songs where there is screaming. and the thing that i like best is that this doesn't feel as extremely calculated and intentional as similar type performances often can.

I really like that he doesn't always go out into the crowd. He does what feels right on a given night. Much less scripted than say, I don't know, U2's show.

I just started singing a National song to myself and I couldn't figure out what it was. I had to go through an entire verse and chorus til I figured out it was "Runaway" :lol: Must have been a latent thing from seeing the name of it in the thread.

that's like me figuring out how to play "slow show" on the guitar.

*strum strum sturm* wait, i know this song... *strum strum* no, that's not right. *strum* that's more like it...what the fuck song is this? oh right!

I just knew they'd come back :dance:. Now hopefully this time I'll have a decent job and seeing them won't be out of the question this time.

Hi Everyone -

We had such an amazing time at our recent shows on the east coast and at the Hollywood Bowl, thanks for coming. We're adding a few more US, Canadian, and Australian shows, many with pre-sales on September 14 & 15. These are the last shows we will play until we've taken a break and recorded a new record, so hopefully you'll be able to join us one last time on the High Violet tour. It will be a while before we're playing again. We have to thank all of you for this incredible year and a half, we've had so much fun playing these songs and visiting you all over the world!

Here they are, the final set of High Violet dates. For ticket links please visit The National : Tour

November 2011:
15: ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA / THEBARTON THEATRE // w/ THE WALKMEN // TICKETS ON-SALE 14 SEPTEMBER
17: PERTH, AUSTRALIA / METRO CITY // w/ THE WALKMEN // TICKETS ON-SALE 14 SEPTEMBER

29: VANCOUVER, BC CANADA / ORPHEUM THEATRE // w/ LOCAL NATIVES + WYE OAK // ON-SALE: 9/16 @ 10AM
30: SEATTLE, WA / NEPTUNE THEATRE // w/ LOCAL NATIVES + WYE OAK // PRE-SALE: 9/15 @ 10AM - 9/16 @ 10PM Password: STG / ON-SALE: 9/17 @ 10AM

December 2011:
01: SEATTLE, WA / NEPTUNE THEATRE // w/ LOCAL NATIVES + WYE OAK // PRE-SALE: 9/15 @ 10AM - 9/16 @ 10PM Password: STG / ON-SALE: 9/17 @ 10AM
03: SAN FRANCISCO, CA / BILL GRAHAM CIVIC AUDITORIUM // w/ LOCAL NATIVES + WYE OAK // PRE-SALE: 9/15 @ 10AM Password: VIOLET / ON-SALE: 9/18 @ 10AM
04: AUSTIN, TX / AUSTIN MUSIC HALL // w/ LOCAL NATIVES // C3 Concerts PRE-SALE: 9/22 @ 10AM Password: NATIONALLOCAL / KROX PRE-SALE: 9/22 @ 10AM-10PM Password: 101x / KGSR PRE-SALE: 9/22 @ 10AM-10PM Password: 933KGSR / ON-SALE: 9/23 @ 10AM
06: CHICAGO, IL / ARAGON BALLROOM // w/ LOCAL NATIVES + WYE OAK // PRE-SALE: 9/16 @ 10AM Password: VIOLET / ON-SALE: 9/17 @ 10AM
08: TORONTO, ON CANADA / AIR CANADA CENTRE // w/ NEKO CASE + WYE OAK
ACC PRE-SALE: 9/12 @ 130PM - 9/13 @ 5PM / COLLECTIVE PRE-SALE: 9/14 @ 2PM - 9/15 @ 10PM Password: fakeempire / ON-SALE: 9/16 @ 11AM
09: MONTREAL, QC CANADA / CENTRE BELL // w/ NEKO CASE + WYE OAK // PRE-SALE: 9/22 @ 9AM-6PM / ON-SALE: 9/23 @ 12PM

12: NEW YORK, NY / BEACON THEATRE // w/ THE WAR ON DRUGS // AMEX PRE-SALE: 9/14 @ 11AM / ON-SALE: 9/16 @ 11AM
13: NEW YORK, NY / BEACON THEATRE // w/ SHARON VAN ETTEN // AMEX PRE-SALE: 9/14 @ 11AM / ON-SALE: 9/16 @ 11AM
14: NEW YORK, NY / BEACON THEATRE // w/ SO PERCUSSION // AMEX PRE-SALE: 9/14 @ 11AM / ON-SALE: 9/16 @ 11AM
15: NEW YORK, NY / BEACON THEATRE // w/ WYE OAK // AMEX PRE-SALE: 9/14 @ 11AM / ON-SALE: 9/16 @ 11AM

We'd also like to remind you about the film "Warrior" which features our songs "About Today" and "Start a War". The film opened in the US last Friday to rave reviews. You can check out A.O. Scott's review here: ‘Warrior,’ Directed by Gavin O’Connor - Review - NYTimes.com and watch the trailer here: WARRIOR / THE NATIONAL Exclusive Music Video - "One of the Best Film of 2011!" - YouTube. We're really proud to have contributed a small bit to this film and think you'll love it. There is so much more to this film than Mixed Martial Arts, it's a story of brothers and family that will stay with you long after you've left the theater.

And finally, our friend Marshall Curry's Sundance award winning documentary "If A Tree Falls" can be seen on PBS and online at POV by visiting this site: POV - If a Tree Falls | PBS. If A Tree Falls tells a story of a young member of The Earth Liberation Front who faces life in prison for multi-million dollar arsons against Oregon timber companies. Listen closely and you'll hear some of our music in this film too! Matt recently talked to PBS about the documentary here: POV - If a Tree Falls . Interview: Matt Berninger of The National | PBS

--

thanks for your support!
/the national

The National
info@americanmary.com

tour dates:
The National : Tour

new releases:
4AD - The National

previous releases:
Brassland | Home

forum:
The National Message Board

websites:
The National - Official Artist Page on iLike - free music, pictures, videos
Music on Facebook | Facebook
The National | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
The National – Free listening, videos, concerts, stats, & pictures at Last.fm

Does anyone know how a pre-sale works? Is this a Ticketmaster thing, or perhaps a band site membership event? I want to be absolutely certain that I get tickets to that Chicago show.

Well if the tickets are through ticketmaster, usually you have to sign up to their mailing list and they send you emails all the time, with only ones on the very odd occasion being useful, albeit extremely useful.

The National + Local Natives = inspiration for a possible road trip.

Especially since it seems that the National never get off the beaten path for shows. Is it just me, or do they keep playing the same cities over and over? :angry:

Especially since it seems that the National never get off the beaten path for shows. Is it just me, or do they keep playing the same cities over and over? :angry:

I feel the same. I've been a big fan since 2005, and still haven't had a chance to see them live.

If they won't come to the Hive, maybe the Hive needs to come to them.

Firelock_Musket.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom