The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #226
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:00 PM
It can be a pain the ass to go to shows solo sometimes (the waiting before and in between bands thing is somewhat grueling), but at the same time shows can be faaaaar more enjoyable when you can just focus on the music and not feel like you have to entertain someone else and what not. Some of the best shows I've ever been to have been attended solo. Conversely, some of the most boring times of my life have been standing around solo in a club waiting for the show to start. Regardless, the good far outweighs the bad in my reverent opinion.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #227
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:00 PM
When I've gone to festivals alone, and have had dead time between acts and whatnot, I usually have brought a book. I find a nice spot and read, and wait for the next act I'm interested in. If I'm seeing one band, with an opening act, I'll just listen to my Ipod between the opening band and the headliner.

You're right, there's no guarantee that if you go by yourself that it'll be a great experience, but to me it's better than not going at all.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #228
Blue Crack Distributor

Festivals I would never go to alone, but I've been to many other a gig by myself. It's not as fun for me, but still a significantly great time.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Danny, FUCKING GO!

I'm 20 too, and I go to concerts solo constantly. It doesn't matter if they're festivals or just shows. Pitchfork in Chicago? Went solo. And, I ended up chatting with people between sets, which is always fun. Or, you can bring a book, like The Fool said before. Flaming Lips in Milwaukee AND Oklahoma City? Traveled and went to the show(s) alone.

In fact, I've been to more concerts alone than with people, especially when I travel outside of Minneapolis, simply because I'm not willing to deprive myself of an awesome experience due to my lack of friends with similar musical tastes.

If there's any band you will abso-fucking-lutely regret seeing live, it's The National. I'm not kidding around here, Danny, go. No excuses.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
If there's any band you will abso-fucking-lutely regret seeing live, it's The National.
Cassie, you're breaking my heart.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, I don't self-edit, like Matt Berninger. We can't all have the golden hearts of ruffians like he does.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #232
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
it probably has a bit to do with age as well? i just turned 20, so i think i am a bit younger than most of you. when i'm older, less self-conscious and don't care it probably won't be a problem.

mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
I've been going to shows alone since I was right about your age since I rarely knew anyone who liked the same groups. I can only remember a handful of times in my life that I went to shows with anyone else. It was weird at first, but after a few times I found I actually preferred going alone. Much easier than having to deal with what another person wants too. And if you meet a cute girl at a show you don't have to ditch the friend....

So GO!!! This is a great band, with a great live show. You won't regret it.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #233
Blue Meth Addict

Plus, you never know if you'll have a chance to see that band again. One of my all time favorite shows was finally getting to see Idlewild for the first time. They're no longer on a major label in the UK, and there is an unbelievably slim chance that I'll ever get to see them again. Had I not gone to that solo, I would have never been able to see one of my all time favorite bands, and also wouldn't have one of my all time most memorable concert experiences.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I started flying solo to shows after hearing Cassie's testaments*, and I'm still thankful for that. Certainly paid dividends at the Dead Weather show this spring, for instance. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. But festivals? Even when I go with pals, I still end up spending ample time alone. Always have since I started hitting them up five years ago. Festivals are tailor made for breaking off from your group to see what you want to see. Do it, man. Do it.

*the fact that she did the Lips in OKC solo and had an amazing time despite Oklahoma being an absolute wasteland is really all you need to know.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #235
45:33

Local Time: 12:00 PM
ok ok i am sold. geez i create some bloody good discussions around here don't i?

this
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
And if you meet a cute girl at a show you don't have to ditch the friend....
is a beautiful point. when i went to a small acoustic gig for my favourite "singer-songwriter" Paul Dempsey last year, a cute girl and i were doing the eyes the whole show. i went and spoke to her afterwards. but because i went with two other people, i couldn't hang around. i would have offered to buy her a drink and then see how things went, but i didn't have time, so i had to be seedy and i just asked for her number after like 30 seconds. she laughed and said no.

incidentally, i am going to see him again in October, good chance she might be there... but i bought two tickets for the show. wish we'd had this discussion five days ago!

Quote:
So GO!!! This is a great band, with a great live show. You won't regret it.
i will according to Cassie...
Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I started flying solo to shows after hearing Cassie's testaments*, and I'm still thankful for that. Certainly paid dividends at the Dead Weather show this spring, for instance. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. But festivals? Even when I go with pals, I still end up spending ample time alone. Always have since I started hitting them up five years ago. Festivals are tailor made for breaking off from your group to see what you want to see. Do it, man. Do it.

*the fact that she did the Lips in OKC solo and had an amazing time despite Oklahoma being an absolute wasteland is really all you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i will according to Cassie...

I'm glad I've influenced you guys to try solo concerts.

The OKC show really was incredible and one of my most memorable experiences, and everyone I met from Oklahoma was great to me as well. As a caveat though, when I do travel to shows alone, I usually do a whirlwind type thing—taking overnight buses, sleeping in airports (yes, I did that in OKC), etc.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #237
Blue Crack Distributor

Fuck you, The National, and all other bands who tell us they're going on tour a day before tickets go on sale. How am I supposed to plan for these things/!?!?!

Quote:
Hello -

We have two quick show announcements for you today. First, on September 26 we'll be at Chicago's Riviera Theater. Tickets for this show go on-sale August 14th at 10 am Central time. You can find a link to purchase tickets from The National : Tour.

Secondly, we're happy to announce that we'll finally be returning to Australia in late December and early January for The Falls Festival, Southbound and Sunset Sounds. Here is ticketing information for all three festivals:

Falls festivals, Victoria and Tasmania
Pre-sale registration via The Falls Music & Arts Festival | Tickets
Please note: the ticket ballot closes on August 18.
General public tickets on sale 9 Sept.

Southbound, Western Australia
presale registration via Southbound Festival 2011
General public tickets on sale 9 Sept via Moshtix.

Sunset Sounds, Queensland
Ticket outlet info from Sunsetsounds - Home
General public tickets on sale 9 Sept.

Finally, we'd like you to know that we're concerned about the discriminatory legislation that has been passed into law in Arizona. We don't feel it's right to boycott playing in AZ as our fans had no say in passing SB 1070, but we do intend to donate a share of proceeds from the October Tucson and Tempe shows to Latino Justice PRLDEF in support of their civil rights work. You can learn more about this organization at LatinoJustice.

Hope to see you soon!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

I kind of wish I had gone to The National show alone, because I would have gone real early to get a great spot. Unfortunately, I could not because at the time my car was not around, so I had to offer a second ticket to a friend, who did in fact enjoy it and appreciate it. So, I guess it worked out anyway. Converted fans and such.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

I played a little acoustic set down the shore, composed mostly of National covers.

1. Ball & Biscuit
2. Apartment Story
3. The Geese of Beverly Road
4. Brainy
5. Slow Show
6. Terrible Love
7. Afraid of Everyone
Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #240
The Male

Everyone's their own Axver at first.

Now.