The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I just wish people would spend more time talking about things they like, rather than things they dislike, as this place can really seem like a bummer. I admittedly almost never want to make threads about things I like that are not being discussed here, as I assume people will come in and piss and moan all over in it. Even bands we all essentially unanimously like on Interference have a weird negative vibe in them quite often. I blame Elfa for this, and will be contributing liberally to BoMac's "Kill Elfa" fund.

I've always found this forum to be a rather positive environment, with the exception of U2-related discussion. The negativity to me always seems to be associated with a larger positive discussion. The other day, for instance, I had an exchange with Laz about New Order. We talked briefly about some of the elements of the band for which we did not particularly care, but that was in the larger context of us both enjoying and appreciating the band.

I do, however, see the point about individual threads being infiltrating by negativity. My feeling is that one should not post in an appreciation thread merely for the sake of deriding the subject, but it seems to happen fairly often.

Napster will not let me download the bonus disc with my "free credits", despite showing they're available for individual purchase. I will have to try Amazon or iTunes. I guess I could just buy the CD and give my old copy to a friend. We shall see.

My record store had the deluxe edition for only $8, which is obviously an excellent price. The packaging had a sticker that read "low price for a limited time," so other stores may have the same deal at the moment.

Peefster, I meant to mention that while I couldn't purchase it from Napster, I did listen to the alt. version of Terrible Love. You were right, it's good stuff.

got a friend from work hooked. high violet and boxer (borrowed the latter from my brother on thanksgiving) on repeat my last two shifts this week.

:up:

tumblr_lc3r5cqej61qzyvbno1_r1_500.gif

I know I'm late to the party, but I have fallen in love with High Violet. Gorgeous melancholy album. Sorrow and Conversation 16 are favourites.

indeed, especially the decisive way he sings "I don't wanna get over you." i understand the feeling.

love the lyrics... "Sorrow found me when I was young/Sorrow waited, sorrow won" and "I live in a city sorrow built" especially. just a beautiful song.

breaking things is always a good time.

although it's kind of strange when it's the dude stumbling around with his eyes closed while singing, trying to go down and join the crowd but not quite making it there (that's the second or third live video i've watched where he's done that), who is breaking the mic stand. or would i expect it from that guy? i don't even know. that's kind of the point though, or one of the interesting things about the band live? dude just has a really weird stage presence? phils, i trust you'll correct me on this.

He's got a very unique stage presence. When he's not singing he looks like he doesn't know what to do with himself. On the rockers like that he'll try to go to the crowd or jump around or break something or shout at Bryan Devendorf. On some of the slower numbers he'll wander around and kind of tap the drum beat on his legs or by punching his hand. And he'll drink a lot of wine while doing all this.

I find it endlessly entertaining.

I thought that Matt was captivating live. At the show I attended, he had the crowd in the palm of his hand for the entire night.

Hmm, when I've seen them live I would say that the band's music really connects with the audience, but that the band members are not consummate showmen, their akward, and not the most endearing kind of awkward. Don't take that as a knock, they're performance is a blast, I just walk away with a different view on their engagement with the audience. That said, I haven't seen them since 2008.

Matt did share some funny anecdotes between songs at their show I saw on the Boxer tour in 07 though.

He's got a very unique stage presence. When he's not singing he looks like he doesn't know what to do with himself. On the rockers like that he'll try to go to the crowd or jump around or break something or shout at Bryan Devendorf. On some of the slower numbers he'll wander around and kind of tap the drum beat on his legs or by punching his hand. And he'll drink a lot of wine while doing all this.

I find it endlessly entertaining.

yeah.

i've pretty much decided i will need to see this band live at some point.

I think the funniest part of B&C is that we're all on a U2 board but most of us don't particularly enjoy U2 that much anymore.

Some of you guys should totally join xeidon.com. Yes, that's right, I'm plugging another forum on elvis's dime. Or not. Actually, don't join Xeidon.com... it's terrible.

was inspired to check out alligator and boxer because i enjoyed high violet so much... i don't know what it is about this band, i remember seeing them at lolla a few years ago and finding them a bit boring, but something has clicked now, and i'm kind of in love. i would describe their sound as "triumphant melancholy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom