The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, on foot. Went out a back entrance from the venue. It was late and I had to drive three hours back to Austin, so I tried to get out as quickly as possible. Dude was just there hangin' outside. Remembered me, though not my name. So that was good.

Here's the setlist for those who care. It was good:

Runaway
Anyone's Ghost
Mistaken For Strangers
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Slow Show
Squalor Victoria
Afraid Of Everyone
Available
Cardinal Song
Conversation 16
Apartment Story
All The Wine
Abel
Green Gloves
England
Fake Empire

Mr. November
Terrible Love
About Today
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

Pretty standard, I'm assuming. Was glad to get "About Today," though.

And here's a Where's Waldo for my facebook palz:

2mfi2c1.jpg

This isn't an audophile thing. It's a mixing thing. In the album version the drums sound like they were tapped out on bongos or something. This actually sounds like a rock band playing.

My National tickets arrived the other day. if i get Abel and Mr November i'll be over the moon.

Chances of that happening is like getting Sunday Bloody Sunday and With or Without You on a U2 concert.

I just heard "Anyone's Ghost" in McDonald's. They play popular songs. The song after that was by Taylor Swift.

I was astounded, to say the least.

A few weeks ago I was watching TV and during a documentary they used about 5 National songs, all from Boxer or High Violet.

I just heard "Anyone's Ghost" in McDonald's. They play popular songs. The song after that was by Taylor Swift.

I was astounded, to say the least.

I heard the same song - "Anyone's Ghost," that is - in a super-chain grocery store the other day as well.

Means it's on the Muzak playlist. They have all kinds of off the wall music on those. Once there was a Coldplay B-Side on one of the CDs the restaurant I worked at got.

I used to hear Bat for Lashes (Daniel) and Fleet Foxes (Mykonos) in my old grocery store

I'm honestly surprised that Peef heard The National and Taylor. Unless the McDonalds is using a CD (And I would think they would've upgraded to the satellite version by now) the radio stations usually keep to pretty much one genre.

Jive, that was probably the alternative rock station. I used to try and sit through that channel during my shifts because I'd get to hear music like that, but I had to put up with too much of the actual alternative rock to get to the good stuff and it just wasn't worth it.

The 80s station, now that was fun. I'd hear "Red Light" on that station almost every day and at least four different Cure songs that were not one of the big singles.

Uh...yeah, I know a little bit more about Muzak than I'd like to admit.

Anyone listened to the expanded High Violet edition?

You Were a Kindness is great. Wake Up Your Saints will take some time of getting used to... relatively new territory for them.

You Were Kindness should have been on the album. way better than The Runaway or Little Faith.

It's really got some work to do in order to be stronger than "Runaway," which is arguably my favorite song of the year. The emotional surge in that song is tremendous.

I'm listening right now. The alternate version of Terrible Love is far and away better than the album version. I'm not a fan of "sounds shitty intentionally" lo-fi bullshit like that.

I'm listening right now. The alternate version of Terrible Love is far and away better than the album version. I'm not a fan of "sounds shitty intentionally" lo-fi bullshit like that.

This. I skip the album version every time

I don't think the album version makes any sense. It's not like the whole album has that murky sound. I don't see how it serves a purpose at all.

I haven't heard the new take, but I can only love it, I suppose since the album version is my favorite song on High Violet.

I love the album version, and think Peefer is a sissy panted pansy for his feelings towards it.

I don't think the album version makes any sense. It's not like the whole album has that murky sound. I don't see how it serves a purpose at all.

With the way the song is structured, it's a slow burner that continues to build until it reaches its ultimate crescendo. Having a muted beginning just adds to that context more, making it an excellent album opener. So I like it in the context of the album.

By itself, as a single, the alternate version is the better choice.

I'm quite happy to have both versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom